• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in South Africa

Dravid

International Captain
Aaaand the bowling...

In Sreesanth and Munaf Patel, India seem to have unearthed a couple of very talented bowlers. They should be the basis of a pretty good attack in the next year or two. Zaheer Khan looks generally useless without the new ball, and that surely is a bit of a concern.
Two of the three wickets he got in this innings were with the old ball.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So two scores in 60 and one 44 are not enough for some one to be in the team?
And an average of 33.95 over 15 Tests is poor enough for any Test batsman's place to be questioned in this day and age. If it were a Ramnaresh Sarwan or an Ian Bell putting up those numbers, there would be questions. I don't see how it's any different for Tendulkar. Yes, he's a great player with a great legacy, but presently he's quite mediocre on the Test stage and until he sorts that out, he's hurting India more than helping them. Can India really afford to carry a player averaging 34 because he's capable of playing a huge innings every 6-8 Tests?

You don't pick players on their legacy. You pick them on their capabilities. And until Tendulkar proves that he's still capable, I don't see any justification for him being a sure-pick in the Test team.

Last edited:

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Jaffer
Gambhir
Kaif
Dravid
Tendulkar
Ganguly
Karthik

And Laxman/Yuvraj/Dhoni as reserve for whoever is out of form.

I would like India to try this out...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
This session a little better. Before tea it was painful.

Kallis and Prince hurting my eyes and the Indian fielders hurting my ears

Mr Mxyzptlk

Jaffer
Gambhir
Kaif
Dravid
Tendulkar
Ganguly
Karthik

And Laxman/Yuvraj/Dhoni as reserve for whoever is out of form.

I would like India to try this out...
Laxman has been a better bet than Tendulkar in recent times. It's pretty harsh that he's the one to get the axe when you consider that.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Laxman has been a better bet than Tendulkar in recent times. It's pretty harsh that he's the one to get the axe when you consider that.
I'd want neither really. Laxman is too slow between the wickets, though he is a decent catcher in the slips. But right now Laxman over Tendulkar.

Dravid

International Captain
And average of 33.95 over 15 Tests is poor enough for any Test batsman's place to be questioned in this day and age. If it were a Ramnaresh Sarwan or an Ian Bell putting up those numbers, there would be questions. I don't see how it's any different for Tendulkar. Yes, he's a great player with a great legacy, but presently he's quite mediocre on the Test stage and until he sorts that out, he's hurting India more than helping them. Can India really afford to carry a player averaging 34 because he's capable of playing a huge innings every 6-8 Tests?
1) It's being said like we have 10 million batsman sitting at home that could replace Sachin.
2) This is his first series coming back from injury, and for that he has performed pretty good

If he failed in this series, which he has not, I would think about giving him a rest...but he has done good enough to keep his place in the side

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
1) It's being said like we have 10 million batsman sitting at home that could replace Sachin.
2) This is his first series coming back from injury, and for that he has performed pretty good

If he failed in this series, which he has not, I would think about giving him a rest...but he has done good enough to keep his place in the side
Take the blinders off mate.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Well as I said these are the players to consider and we need to work around them. Anyways, I really desperately think Kaif should be in the mix. Not only a superb fielder and very athletic but also a good batsman, imo, especially after looking at his record in the WI.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The sad part is Munaf Patel is a young bowler and he makes the Old School Indian fielding look good. Though Sreesanth is better than that.

Mr Mxyzptlk

So you're saying that there is no batsman in India outside of the first XI right now who could contribute more than an average of 34? Sad state Indian cricket is in.
Forget about this series. The 12 Tests before this series, he averaged 34.70 with 1 hundred in 18 innings. Justify it now.
It's funny that you defend his performance in this series on the basis of him coming back for injury, then state that you would drop/rest him if he had failed. Failure or success, it's still his first series back from injury. Make up your mind what you want your point to be.