• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Asian Cricketer Ever

Who do u think is the greatest Asian cricketer ever?

• Vijay Hazare

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vinoo Mankad

• Zaheer Abbas

• Hanif Mohammad

• Fazal Mahmood

• Saeed Anwar

• Inzamam-Ul-Haq

• Chandershekhar

• Sarfaraz Nawaz

• Anil Kumble

• Shoaib Mohammad

• Abdul Qadir

• Saqlain Mushtaq

• Lalu Amaranath

• Mohammad Yousuf

• Arjuna Ranatunga

• Bishen Singh Bedi

• Moin Khan

• Total voters

Slow Love™

International Captain
I'll vote for Kapil Dev. Seems not to get much love in these kinds of polls, but an extraordinary player, excellent leader, and he possessed amazing stamina. Played largely in conditions not friendly to his brand of fast-medium, and never shirked from the toughest of opposition.

Plus there's that amazing resemblance to Freddie Mercury (and no, I'll never shut up about this)...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Good stuff you voted for him SL. I always loved the way he always tried and gave his 100%. One of my favourite cricketers.

Fusion

Global Moderator
FRAZ said:
Shoaib Akhtar .
Greatest Asian cricketer ever???? Ahead of Imran, Tendulkar, Murali, Wasim, Waqar, Dravid, Kapil, Gavaskar, Miandad just to name a few??? :blink:

SA

Banned
Slow Love™ said:
I'll vote for Kapil Dev. Seems not to get much love in these kinds of polls, but an extraordinary player, excellent leader, and he possessed amazing stamina. Played largely in conditions not friendly to his brand of fast-medium, and never shirked from the toughest of opposition.
Plus there's that amazing resemblance to Freddie Mercury (and no, I'll never shut up about this)...
And Imran Khan & Wasim Akram bowled on greentops in Pakistan.Didn't they?Pitches in Pakistan are much more batting friendly than in India & Imran enjoyed same success on dead wickets which Mashal,Garner & Hadlee did on bowling friendly wickets.Thats why I think Imran Khan has to be a fair bit ahead of all the bowlers(both pacers 7 spinners) in history.IMO,he's also the best allrounder of alltime & second greatest cricketer ever.Drawing three test series against the great West Indian side was not a joke.Was it?

So,Imran Khan 1st,daylight second,Muralitharan 3rd,Sunil Gavaskar 4th & Wasim Akram 5th.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Slow Love™ said:
LOL Yes! My mum and I once tried extremely hard to convince my dad of this, but all he said was "I just don't see it." Glad we're not alone in this. :D

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Freddie Mercury have some Indian ethnicity?
SA said:
And Imran Khan & Wasim Akram bowled on greentops in Pakistan.Didn't they?Pitches in Pakistan are much more batting friendly than in India & Imran enjoyed same success on dead wickets which Mashal,Garner & Hadlee did on bowling friendly wickets.Thats why I think Imran Khan has to be a fair bit ahead of all the bowlers(both pacers 7 spinners) in history.IMO,he's also the best allrounder of alltime & second greatest cricketer ever.Drawing three test series against the great West Indian side was not a joke.Was it?

So,Imran Khan 1st,daylight second,Muralitharan 3rd,Sunil Gavaskar 4th & Wasim Akram 5th.
Woah woah woah calm down. Imran was a gun, and a very good looking bloke, but S_L made it clear, the mitigating factor which makes Kapil > Imran is this:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
May be if you could find a Kapil dev pic with little less hair (both above the head and below the nose) , we can try.

FRAZ

International Captain
Fusion said:
Greatest Asian cricketer ever???? Ahead of Imran, Tendulkar, Murali, Wasim, Waqar, Dravid, Kapil, Gavaskar, Miandad just to name a few??? :blink:
I would like to know the definition of great , my friend .
Had not he been suffering from injuries,It would have been a great sight to look at his stats . He has still at least 6-7 years in him and we'll see .

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jono said:
LOL Yes! My mum and I once tried extremely hard to convince my dad of this, but all he said was "I just don't see it." Glad we're not alone in this. :D

Yeah, he's a Parsee. Or was, I should say. Real name Farouk Bulsara (sp?). IIRC he grew up in Zanzibar, but was partly educated in India.

JBH001

International Regular
Pratyush said:
I just don't see it.
Hmmm neither do I - maybe because Kapil isn't prancing around a pole?

j/k ;)

Anyway, its a tight call - but I vote for Murali, been through a lot in his life (ethnicity/throwing/carrying SL attack) and come out stronger.

PS. Do posts sometimes vanish? Disappear? I am sure I posted on this last night but I cannot seem to find my post now...it may have happened before too.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
a massive zebra said:
I would be interested to know what makes you think Tendulkar is so much better than Dravid.
defensively as sound when he wants to be, offensively much, much better, more naturally brilliant stroke-player than rahul, 10 times more naturally talented...i am a huge fan of dravid, but take them both at their best and dravid is just not as good as either tendulkar or gavaskar who both faced and conquered much better attacks(in their own trademark separate ways of course)...

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
yes, i think his name was originally freddie balsara...anglo-indian from goa or something....