• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

# 2 Opener between 1986-2006

Who is the #2 Opener between 1986-2006 (to partner Hayden)

• Anwar

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • Boon

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Gibbs

• Gooch

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • Haynes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jayasuriya

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Kirsten

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Langer

Votes: 11 14.7%
  • Richardson

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Sehweg

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • Sidhu

• Slater

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Smith

• Strauss

• Taylor

• Trescothick

• Vaughan

• Wright

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JBH001

International Regular
I voted for Vaughan.

Purely based on the fact I want a RHB to open with a LHB - looking at all the RHB's it came down to Boon, Gooch and Slats. Frankly I think Boonie was a better number 3. and Slats never faced the Australian bowling attack, besides I dislike the fragility inherent in having two overtly attacking openers. One, yes. Two? No.

Seeing as I doubt that Goochie will captain this side I do not think his batting will be all that flash, but seeing as Vaughan will - I hope and think - not captain this side I think his batting will be the perfect foil for Hayden at the other end. He would probably bring good tactical acumen to the team as VC too, perhaps.

Also, just looking at the openers again, I see I omitted Sehwag. Frankly I think it is too early for Sehwag - he has not done enough to bear serious inclusion in a XI over the last 20 years. So I am a little surprised to see him with so many votes - but it may just be the Indian contingent expressing themselves.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
JBH001 said:
I voted for Vaughan.

Purely based on the fact I want a RHB to open with a LHB - looking at all the RHB's it came down to Boon, Gooch and Slats. Frankly I think Boonie was a better number 3. and Slats never faced the Australian bowling attack, besides I dislike the fragility inherent in having two overtly attacking openers. One, yes. Two? No.

Seeing as I doubt that Goochie will captain this side I do not think his batting will be all that flash, but seeing as Vaughan will - I hope and think - not captain this side I think his batting will be the perfect foil for Hayden at the other end. He would probably bring good tactical acumen to the team as VC too, perhaps.

Also, just looking at the openers again, I see I omitted Sehwag. Frankly I think it is too early for Sehwag - he has not done enough to bear serious inclusion in a XI over the last 20 years. So I am a little surprised to see him with so many votes - but it may just be the Indian contingent expressing themselves.
Very good attempt to justify an incomprehendable choice.:D

It has to be one of the current top 4 vote getters. Gooch, Anwar, Sehwag, Langer. You cant really go wrong with any of them.

aussie tragic

International Captain
It seems like Langer has always only been 1-2 tests away from being dropped (i.e bring back Slats, play Hussey, now Jaques & Cosgrove are on the scene), however here he is leading the vote for the 2nd best opener over the last 20-years...go figure

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
aussie tragic said:
It seems like Langer has always only been 1-2 tests away from being dropped (i.e bring back Slats, play Hussey, now Jaques & Cosgrove are on the scene), however here he is leading the vote for the 2nd best opener over the last 20-years...go figure
Well, I understand the logic of picking him, as Hayden was the first selected and they have performed well as an opening unit.

However, Smith and Gibbs average far more as an opening partnership and, correctly, few are calling for their joint inclusion.

I voted Gooch with it being a very close call between him and Anwar. However, I can understand why Sehwag or Langer are voted for.

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
Matteh said:
It's Hayden, mate. (i only mention it, because i know you've spelt it -on a couple of times now)
Picky or what :) btw, I've spelt it Hayden far more times than Haydon if that counts for anything

aussie tragic

International Captain
Goughy said:
Well, I inderstand the logic of picking him as Hayden was the first and they have performed well as an opening unit.
I understand the logic as well, however I don't think Langer should be rated the #2 opener just because he happened to bat with the #1 Opener.

I voted for Sehwag as I thought it would be a good idea to have a L/R combination, plus having two batsman that average 50+ would then fit in well with the #3, 4 & 5 who I'm sure will also average 50+.

Oh to heck with it, let's just go for all Aussies because they batted well together. I nominate Hayden, Langer, Ponting, Border & S Waugh for the 5 batting positions :)

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I am not a fan of him at all, so I am certainly not advocating for his inclusion, but Biff is a member of 2 of the top 4 highest average opening partnerships in Test history.

Amazing considering everything written recently.

JB Hobbs & H Sutcliffe (Eng) 25 38 1 3249 87.81 15 10
AF Rae & JB Stollmeyer (WI) 13 21 2 1349 71.00 5 3
GC Smith & HH Gibbs (RSA) 26 44 3 2723 66.41 7 8
AB de Villiers & GC Smith (RSA) 12 21 0 1382 65.80 4 4

Last edited:

aussie tragic

International Captain
Goughy said:
I am not a fan of him at all, so I am certainly not advocating for his inclusion, but Biff is a member of 2 of the highest average opening partnerships in Test history.

Amazing considering everything written recently.

JB Hobbs & H Sutcliffe (Eng) 25 38 1 3249 87.81 15 10
AF Rae & JB Stollmeyer (WI) 13 21 2 1349 71.00 5 3
GC Smith & HH Gibbs (RSA) 26 44 3 2723 66.41 7 8
AB de Villiers & GC Smith (RSA) 12 21 0 1382 65.80 4 4

Don't forget he also averages 50+ as an Opener, however I'm also not a fan and don't rate him in the top 10

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
i was never a fan of gooch. too inelegant (dont know if there is a word like that) for me. but if hayden goes belligerant at one end u need a rock solid bloody minded opener at the other end. a right hander is even more better. i go for gooch. 154 not out against marshall, ambrose, walsh and patterson to win a test against the windies in their last phase of greatness, in a match in which the next highest score was 27. he is my choice.

bagapath

International Captain
looks like the final call will be between langer, sehwag and anwar. its the kind of race in which anything may happen. 29th looks a long way off :)

open365

International Vice-Captain
I can't believe so many of you voted for Langer.

He's a great player, but i don't see why he has to play just because he is an Australian and opens with Hayden normaly, i'd much rather see Anwar or Smith of Vaughan.

JBH001

International Regular
Vaughan afraid of pace?

Really? But then even if so, most batsman are...if they are honest.

More to the point though - why is Vaughan rated so little in his native land?
Granted I have not seen him bat often, but what little I have seen (mainly from his last tour of Australia) of him, I have been very impressed. At least until he got the captaincy.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
JBH001 said:
More to the point though - why is Vaughan rated so little in his native land?
I'd say Vaughan isn't rated highly anymore because he hasn't done too well in a long time. He only ever had 1-2 years at the top, everything outside that has been average, which is unfortunate because he's a treat to watch when in full flow.