Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wisden Cricketer of the year award

International Captain

Icon8 Wisden Cricketer of the year award

I was just going through some of the wisden cricketers of the year awards . TBH hilarious stuff .. LOL .... I mean I do not want to say it but I do not trust that an honest head is making it . I am sorry but just a personal thought .. I mean there were certainly many "other" players who might have got this award instead of some "one song wonder bands " .
    I disagree with these awards because some playerss who really deserved the awards they sure got it but lesser times than they should have .

Some of the latest awards
    2006 - Matthew Hoggard, Simon Jones, Brett Lee, Kevin Pietersen, Ricky Ponting
    2005 - """"Ashley Giles, Steve Harmison, Robert Key, Andrew Strauss, Marcus Trescothick """"
    2004 - Chris Adams, Andrew Flintoff, Ian Harvey, Gary Kirsten, Graeme Smith
    2003 - Matthew Hayden, Adam Hollioake, Nasser Hussain, Shaun Pollock, Michael Vaughan
    2002 - Andy Flower, Adam Gilchrist, Jason Gillespie, V.V.S. Laxman, Damien Martyn
    2001 - Mark Alleyne, Martin Bicknell, Andrew Caddick, Justin Langer, Darren Lehmann
    2000 - Chris Cairns, Rahul Dravid, Lance Klusener, Tom Moody, Saqlain Mushtaq
    1999 - Ian Austin, Darren Gough, Muttiah Muralitharan, Arjuna Ranatunga, Jonty Rhodes
    1998 - Matthew Elliott, Stuart Law, Glenn McGrath, Matthew Maynard, Graham Thorpe
    1997 - Sanath Jayasuriya, Mushtaq Ahmed, Saeed Anwar, Phil Simmons, Sachin Tendulkar
    1996 - Dominic Cork, Aravinda de Silva, Angus Fraser, Anil Kumble, Dermot Reeve
    1995 - Brian Lara, Devon Malcolm, Tim Munton, Steve Rhodes, Kepler Wessels
    1994 - David Boon, Ian Healy, Merv Hughes, Shane Warne, Steve Watkin
    1993 - Nigel Briers, Martyn Moxon, Ian Salisbury, Alec Stewart, Wasim Akram
    1992 - Curtly Ambrose, Phillip DeFreitas, Allan Donald, Richie Richardson, Waqar Younis
    1991 - Mike Atherton, Mohammed Azharuddin, Alan Butcher, Desmond Haynes, Mark Waugh
    1990 - Jimmy Cook, Dean Jones, Jack Russell, Robin Smith, Mark Taylor
    Last edited by FRAZ; 04-08-2006 at 12:42 PM.
    Proud member of Twenty20-Is-Boring Society.
    T2IBS Media relations officer
    T2IBS official face
    R.I..P ........ Fardin Qayuumi
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Good luck at the hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Fraz is always the best option IMO
    frazbest@hotmail.com

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ
    I disagree with these awards because some playerss who really deserved the awards they sure got it but lesser times than they should have .
    But people can only win it once. That's been a condition for winning it since the 1890s.
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    But people can only win it once. That's been a condition for winning it since the 1890s.
    This is one of the basic points of my disagreement actually !!! Cuz I think the format should be changed

I honestly don't even pay attention to it. Its a nice tradition, but if you can't win it once, and 5 players are named every year, it means very little. I mean stuff like Ian Harvey winning it in 2004 just exemplifies it.

One thing I might say though, interesting that Ponting won it for the first time in 2006, would have thought 2003 or 2004 he may have had a shout.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAZ
    This is one of the basic points of my disagreement actually !!! Cuz I think the format should be changed

Well, when you're editor of Wisden you can change it. Until then it's his book and he can do what he likes.

Just to clarify, it's based on your performances in England and only in England? For example, if you don't play cricket there that year you're not even in the running at all?

it is an award which doesn't hold much weight except specifically for english domestic cricket....and the criteria of one player being able to win it only once is so ridiculous it loses most of its relevance then and there....

I agree FRAZ has a point . Some of the WISDEN award recipients are not people who outshone others in those years. I don't take much note of them.

Its a bit like the other one " PCA Annual awards " which seems to ignore performances of some cricketeters or wholesomely ignore cricketers from some regions . You know what I mean.

The only awards I take seriously are the World Cup performances and awards given to players after those performances .

Flash Poker Champion!
    It's called "Wisden xyz o f the YEAR", after that , they aint responsible
    Last edited by Rajeev; 05-08-2006 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by burkey_1988
    Just to clarify, it's based on your performances in England and only in England? For example, if you don't play cricket there that year you're not even in the running at all?
    I believe they were originally based on the English cricket season, so it was about domestic cricket and the England home series. I think the last few years they've muddeld the issue by occasionally going for other players who didn't feature in England that year
    President of RTDAS - Ryan ten Doeschate - The Freddie Flintoff of Associate Cricket
    Member of DNAS, ESAS - Dirk Nannes, Edgar Schiferli. Dutchmen can bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Steulen, are you half-Welsh? Cheer up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    God, I just worked out Steulen's avatar is a hedgehog, not a brain...
    Not sure how to feel now tbh...

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    the only one i can remember in recent times who hasn't played cricket in England for the year in question is Laxman in 2002 which I assume was given in relation to his heroics against Aus.

Seeing as its Wisden Cricketer of the Year and not World Player of the Year (for which they have a separate award which can be won more than once) I don't see the problem with it, it's an English publication. There is an Australian version, don't know what they do in that?
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

People misunderstand what the awards are awarded on, it's not just pure merit all the time.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by burkey_1988
    For a long long time it was solely based on performances in the preceding English domestic season.

Think it is now world wide because of the way Wisden has changed its focus, but can't remember when it changed.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Autobahn
    People misunderstand what the awards are awarded on, it's not just pure merit all the time.
    Indeed, and I bet if you asked anyone who has received it, they won't say it "doesn't hold much weight"

I think it is a fair reward if you have a pretty good season in England and then if you play pretty well if you don't play in England.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information