• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden Cricketer of the year award

FRAZ

International Captain
I was just going through some of the wisden cricketers of the year awards . TBH hilarious stuff .. LOL .... I mean I do not want to say it but I do not trust that an honest head is making it . I am sorry but just a personal thought .. I mean there were certainly many "other" players who might have got this award instead of some "one song wonder bands " .
I disagree with these awards because some playerss who really deserved the awards they sure got it but lesser times than they should have .

Some of the latest awards
2006 - Matthew Hoggard, Simon Jones, Brett Lee, Kevin Pietersen, Ricky Ponting
2005 - """"Ashley Giles, Steve Harmison, Robert Key, Andrew Strauss, Marcus Trescothick """"
2004 - Chris Adams, Andrew Flintoff, Ian Harvey, Gary Kirsten, Graeme Smith
2003 - Matthew Hayden, Adam Hollioake, Nasser Hussain, Shaun Pollock, Michael Vaughan
2002 - Andy Flower, Adam Gilchrist, Jason Gillespie, V.V.S. Laxman, Damien Martyn
2001 - Mark Alleyne, Martin Bicknell, Andrew Caddick, Justin Langer, Darren Lehmann
2000 - Chris Cairns, Rahul Dravid, Lance Klusener, Tom Moody, Saqlain Mushtaq
1999 - Ian Austin, Darren Gough, Muttiah Muralitharan, Arjuna Ranatunga, Jonty Rhodes
1998 - Matthew Elliott, Stuart Law, Glenn McGrath, Matthew Maynard, Graham Thorpe
1997 - Sanath Jayasuriya, Mushtaq Ahmed, Saeed Anwar, Phil Simmons, Sachin Tendulkar
1996 - Dominic Cork, Aravinda de Silva, Angus Fraser, Anil Kumble, Dermot Reeve
1995 - Brian Lara, Devon Malcolm, Tim Munton, Steve Rhodes, Kepler Wessels
1994 - David Boon, Ian Healy, Merv Hughes, Shane Warne, Steve Watkin
1993 - Nigel Briers, Martyn Moxon, Ian Salisbury, Alec Stewart, Wasim Akram
1992 - Curtly Ambrose, Phillip DeFreitas, Allan Donald, Richie Richardson, Waqar Younis
1991 - Mike Atherton, Mohammed Azharuddin, Alan Butcher, Desmond Haynes, Mark Waugh
1990 - Jimmy Cook, Dean Jones, Jack Russell, Robin Smith, Mark Taylor

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
FRAZ said:
I disagree with these awards because some playerss who really deserved the awards they sure got it but lesser times than they should have .
But people can only win it once. That's been a condition for winning it since the 1890s.

FRAZ

International Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
But people can only win it once. That's been a condition for winning it since the 1890s.
This is one of the basic points of my disagreement actually !!! Cuz I think the format should be changed

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I honestly don't even pay attention to it. Its a nice tradition, but if you can't win it once, and 5 players are named every year, it means very little. I mean stuff like Ian Harvey winning it in 2004 just exemplifies it.

One thing I might say though, interesting that Ponting won it for the first time in 2006, would have thought 2003 or 2004 he may have had a shout.

stumpski

International Captain
FRAZ said:
This is one of the basic points of my disagreement actually !!! Cuz I think the format should be changed

Well, when you're editor of Wisden you can change it. Until then it's his book and he can do what he likes.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Just to clarify, it's based on your performances in England and only in England? For example, if you don't play cricket there that year you're not even in the running at all?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
it is an award which doesn't hold much weight except specifically for english domestic cricket....and the criteria of one player being able to win it only once is so ridiculous it loses most of its relevance then and there....

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree FRAZ has a point . Some of the WISDEN award recipients are not people who outshone others in those years. I don't take much note of them.

Its a bit like the other one " PCA Annual awards " which seems to ignore performances of some cricketeters or wholesomely ignore cricketers from some regions . You know what I mean.

The only awards I take seriously are the World Cup performances and awards given to players after those performances .

Rajeev

U19 12th Man
It's called "Wisden xyz o f the YEAR", after that , they aint responsible

Last edited:

Steulen

International Regular
burkey_1988 said:
Just to clarify, it's based on your performances in England and only in England? For example, if you don't play cricket there that year you're not even in the running at all?
I believe they were originally based on the English cricket season, so it was about domestic cricket and the England home series. I think the last few years they've muddeld the issue by occasionally going for other players who didn't feature in England that year

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
the only one i can remember in recent times who hasn't played cricket in England for the year in question is Laxman in 2002 which I assume was given in relation to his heroics against Aus.

Seeing as its Wisden Cricketer of the Year and not World Player of the Year (for which they have a separate award which can be won more than once) I don't see the problem with it, it's an English publication. There is an Australian version, don't know what they do in that?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
burkey_1988 said:
For a long long time it was solely based on performances in the preceding English domestic season.

Think it is now world wide because of the way Wisden has changed its focus, but can't remember when it changed.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Autobahn said:
People misunderstand what the awards are awarded on, it's not just pure merit all the time.
Indeed, and I bet if you asked anyone who has received it, they won't say it "doesn't hold much weight"

Craig

World Traveller
I think it is a fair reward if you have a pretty good season in England and then if you play pretty well if you don't play in England.

stumpski

International Captain
Recent 'Wisden' editors have shown that they are willing to break with tradition. The photo on the front being the most noticeable example. Also the way that past players' Births and Deaths are catalogued. Now it's Test players only, which I think is a bit of a shame as it excludes a lot of good players as well as personalities like John Arlott. But the Five Cricketers are here to stay, for many years to come.

atichon

School Boy/Girl Captain
I love these awards. They're the first thing I check when Wisden is published. Before that, I make my list of probable award winners.

by the way, based on the current season so far and knowing the rules (never get the award twice, contribution to the English season only), who would you see as Wisden Cricketer of the Year 2007 ?

My bet :
Monty Panesar
Ian Bell
Mahela Jayawardene
Younis Khan
Last spot between Paul Collingwood and Alastair Cook, my vote goes to Collingwood (Cook is still young, he'll get it later)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Inzy should be in somewhere, I reckon. Needs to get it pretty soon.

I'd say

Panesar
Ramprakash (quickest to 2,000 in an English season for 11 years)
Jayawardene
Inzamam
A. N. Other

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Ramprakash must have won it by now... no... can't believe that!

He's gotta get one; Bell and Monty and Mahela are strong shouts too.

atichon

School Boy/Girl Captain
Samuel_Vimes said:
Inzy should be in somewhere, I reckon. Needs to get it pretty soon.

I'd say

Panesar
Ramprakash (quickest to 2,000 in an English season for 11 years)
Jayawardene
Inzamam
A. N. Other
You're right about Inzy. It's about his last chance to get the award so they'll be inclined to give him. However, he needs to deliver some day. At the moment, being the losing captain and having not scored a century, it would be a difficult choice.

i don't think Ramprakash will ever get it whatever he does at county level, because of his international failures.

So my corrected list :
Panesar
Bell
Inzy (he should win the ODI series, that'll do)
Younis Khan
Mahela Jayawardene