• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shahid Afridi (ODI legend) ?

Rajeev

U19 12th Man
Too much ego in the main post and rest of the counter-arguments and I am afraid this will be "quoted" as well showing the compulsive " I want to prove a point disorder"

Leaving aside all that comparison, he is by far the best six-hitter in the history of cricket

If Afrdi can be really compared to anyone is Popeye (Razzaq)

FRAZ

International Captain
There is nothing much which one can take as useless material . Just checking some one's stats, if leads to some age fairy tales and then stupid trash then what can I say . The inquiry and info was simple . Kapil is the greatest ODI all rounder in the history and Shahid Khan Afridi has silently come close to go ahead stats wise .Offcourse Kapil is the greatest all-rounder in the game and actually considered as the gretest ever by most of the "cricketing world" . SO...... What seems to be the problem in the info that I provided because Afridi looks darn set to score atleast 10000 runs before he retires . Am I wrong ? And I said may be he will close on to 400 wickets mark . Ok may be that is just a little big figure but atleast 350 looks quite reachable . What in the name of hell is the problem with the statement . Did I not accept that Kapil was the great or did I use some extra patriotic bias like the ones which some use while describing AA. I sais the possible happenings in the future .SO...

FRAZ

International Captain
andyc said:
Their batting averages may be similar, but their bowling averages sure aren't. 27.45 is a lot better than 35.15, especially when you consider Kapil opened the bowling (I think...), so was bowling with the restrictions.

And he's hardly a legend when you consider he's rated number 9 in current OD allrounders. Flintoff (34.28 bat, 25.81 bowl), Gayle (38.42 bat, 32.02 bowl), Symonds (39.32 bat, 36.38 bowl), and even Styris (28.77 bat, 31.74 bowl) and Pathan (26 bat, 24.54 bowl) are ranked above him.

So in short, no, he's not an ODI legend.
The inquiry was about the "may be future" .If one can see then judge that Afridi's career has lifted to new heights in the recent months.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
FRAZ said:
The inquiry was about the "may be future" .If one can see then judge that Afridi's career has lifted to new heights in the recent months.
Indeed. In his last 16 ODIs (recent 12 months), Afridi hasn't made a single fifty - his longest period without an ODI fifty...

thierry henry

International Coach
Re: the birth date thing- the more time goes on, the more believable Afridi's listed DOB looks. He's now almost 35 and certainly doesn't appear much older than that.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Re: the birth date thing- the more time goes on, the more believable Afridi's listed DOB looks. He's now almost 35 and certainly doesn't appear much older than that.
he himself have stated in couple of tv interviews which I have watched that he is couple of years older same with Younis Khan. However at one point he was accused of lying by atleast 5 years which does look unlikely looking at his current physical condition.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
he himself have stated in couple of tv interviews which I have watched that he is couple of years older same with Younis Khan. However at one point he was accused of lying by atleast 5 years which does look unlikely looking at his current physical condition.
So Younis is nearly 40? Surprising.

anil1405

International Captain
Perhaps he had the ability to take lower order wickets like very few bowlers could. Was effective with the ball for a period of 2-3 years. Doesn't seem to be the same now though.

arana

Cricket Spectator
He's got a great potential but he is extremely inconsistent. Afridi is a chance taking player, he may stand in the oddest of situations but may fall in the obvious ones. So, overall not a great player but a great hitter and a good bowler

G.I.Joe

International Coach
He's got a great potential but he is extremely inconsistent. Afridi is a chance taking player, he may stand in the oddest of situations but may fall in the obvious ones. So, overall not a great player but a great hitter and a good bowler
I don't think the p-word should be used of a player who's been on the international scene for close to two decades.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I got so excited seeing a thread from FRAZ, and about my favourite non English cricketer too. Goddamn it's the hope that kills you