• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Test Bowling

JBH001

International Regular
How can I vote for the inventor of reverse swing, and by all accounts, something of an individual in a team and from a country that seems to produce more than its fair share of cricketing personalities?

Besides Laker is over-rated and I am a little sick of that match and that series.

Sarfraz for me.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Brainless Genius from the Land of Fast Bowlers. 5.3-5-1-7 deadly spell . One of the greatest in the history and deserves to win.

Sar-Fira Nawaz

Last edited:

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jim Laker. But like a few people have said, Hadlee's was better than both of the final options.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Sanz said:
Brainless Genius from the Land of Fast Bowlers. 5.3-5-1-7 deadly spell . One of the greatest in the history and deserves to win.

Sar-Fira Nawaz
You call the inventor of reverse swing brainless:-O

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The winner of the battle of bowling is:

Sarfraz Nawaz 9 for 86 Pak Aus Melbourne 1978-79

The creator of reverse swing wins it by a narrow margin!

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Wow. What an upset this is? I didn't Nawaz's spell to make it past the top four, but I definitely did not expect it to beat Laker.

Good stuff.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy said:
Interesting how in Wisdens top 100 'Best' bowling our winner was 15th and our runner-up was 25th!

http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2001/jul/30bow100.htm

They did it soely by rating. For example, Laker's 10-for is rated much higher than his 9-for, yet most agree that his 9 wicket haul was superior. Also, Kumble's wasn't the second best spell in cricket history....

And Ambrose 7/25 was a lot higher than 61.....so I don't really give any importantance to that list. I mean if you think there were SIXTY better spells in cricket history than Ambrose's 7/25, I really have nothing to say to you.

Even though Hadlee didn't win, I do like our rankings better.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
They did it soely by rating. For example, Laker's 10-for is rated much higher than his 9-for, yet most agree that his 9 wicket haul was superior. Also, Kumble's wasn't the second best spell in cricket history....

And Ambrose 7/25 was a lot higher than 61.....so I don't really give any importantance to that list. I mean if you think there were SIXTY better spells in cricket history than Ambrose's 7/25, I really have nothing to say to you.
Its not purely on wickets as you suggest. I dont completely agree with their results but they do have a criteria in place.

If you look Bothams 7fer is ranked 39 places above Gupte's 9fer.

And whilst Kumbles may not have been the 2nd best ever, we had Nawaz as 1, which is pretty far off base.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy said:
Its not purely on wickets as you suggest. I dont completely agree with their results but they do have a criteria in place.

And whilst Kumbles may not have been the 2nd best ever, we had Nawaz as 1, which is pretty far off base.
No I am saying they did it by rating, which took into account a bunch of conditions, no doubt. But I am saying that our list overall is clearly superior to that list.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Goughy said:

I think they're rewarding Laker's 10for for comparatively few runs in a high total - which intuitively seems to make sense, but then consider that the ultimate goal of a bowler is to bowl a team out for the lowest score possible. When lots of overs go between each wicket, that's going to concede more runs.

The maths would probably take something away from Nawaz' twenty-odd wicketless overs too.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Goughy said:

Explain why Hadlee's is better than Nawaz.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Surprsing to see Nawaz win but it was an amazing spell, overall its probably right up there with the top 3 of all-time behind Ambrose's 7 for 1 & either on of Laker's hauls in 1956.