• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batsmen who never wore helmet while batting !!!

FRAZ

International Captain
As I discussed in a thread before and now I am making one . Can we get the list of the finest players of 70's and 80's who never wore a helmet while facing the Fasties . Just imagine the bowlers i.e. Dennis , Imran , Bunch of Windiens and Bunch of Englishmen bowling without having the restrictions of bouncers to the batsmen of that time . And mind you the quality of pitches wasn't good either . The un-even bounce was common .
The one player that I remember who truely was a legend and the one who I never saw wearing a helmet was
Sir Viv Richards
and other than him I guess
Richie Richardson was a classy player too and only wore a hat all the time . hehehe I remember UAE captain Sultan coming to the field without wearing a helmet and was hit by a nasty bouncer of Donald.
Any other players who comes into your mind who never wore.

Last edited:

FRAZ

International Captain
Man these Windies were no wonder the true champs of that time . They were brave ........

FRAZ

International Captain
Sunil Gavaskar (the legend himself) ,most of the times I saw him in that white hat..............I am not sure I think SJS can correct me if I am mistaken .. I think Sunil wore helmet a few times . I am not sure

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
You are right that Viv didnt wear a helmet 99.9% of the time but I think I recall him wearing a helmet against Duncan Spencer in a Glamorgan versus Kent Sunday League Game.

Spencer (diminutive Aussie quick that was later done for drugs, steroids IIRC) was very quick and Viv was towards the end of his career and looked out of his depth.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
FRAZ said:
Sunil Gavaskar (the legend himself) ,most of the times I saw him in that white hat..............I am not sure I think SJS can correct me if I am mistaken .. I think Sunil wore helmet a few times . I am not sure
Sunny could be considered the father of the modern helmet. He wore a skull cap underneath his hat to protect his head.

FRAZ

International Captain
Goughy said:
Sunny could be considered the father of the modern helmet. He wore a skull cap underneath his hat to protect his head.
Damn this was what I was thinking but didn't know some one has done it before.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Goughy said:
I remember reading Duncan Fletcher used to wear a skull-cap and Sunny picked it up from him.

Edit: Mike Brearley, not Fletcher.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy said:
Didn't know that. Did he ever have protection on his face though?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
Sunny did wear the skull cap he got specially made for himself but it was not a precurser to the helmet.

The hemet had arrived and Sunny was not comfortable wearing it so he decided to wear something which avoided the visor, and allowed him to feel the air around his head. A hemet is very uncomfortable everywhere but its terrible in India and the first helmets were very shoddy.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Barry Richards wore a white crash helmet (like formula 1 drivers) while scoring 207 in the Packer series at Perth in 1977. Later the same year, Graham Yallop wore one in the west indies with Simpsons depleted Australian side. Next season, in the summer of 1978, many players were seen wearing it in the county circuit.