• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should there be a mandatory sixth day in tests?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
What part of the 'sixth day only being available if all the overs are not bowled' is difficult?
Would still encourage slow over rates.

Anyway, what if day 6 is rained off? 7th day? Maybe there'll be some bad light on day 7. Take it into the next week

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
silentstriker said:
What part of the 'sixth day only being available if all the overs are not bowled' is difficult?
That's just letting players get away with poor over rates. Force them to speed the game up.

steds said:

Anyway, what if day 6 is rained off? 7th day? Maybe there'll be some bad light on day 7. Take it into the next week
Precisely

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Jungle Jumbo said:
That's just letting players get away with poor over rates. Force them to speed the game up.

I wouldnt mind more severe penalties for slow over rates....I started a new thread for that.

open365

pasag said:
Its not such a bad idea. If it seems like a result could come of it and alot of time was missed, then why not. Nothing is more frustrating then dedicating 5 days of your life for a test match for it to end in a draw.
Frustration is part of sport.

In test cricket, you win a match by bowling the opposition out twice and score more runs than them in 5 days, if you don't do that, then you don't deserve to win the match, simple as.

Adding a 6th day would totaly ruin cricket. Let's say we get the situation where the only realistic chance of not losing the game for the batting side is to block out for a draw, if they were in the 5th day at lunch with 4 wickets left, it would already be all over because they know they can't stand a 6th day.

Adding a 6th day would virtualy wipe out the draw, and mean a lot more pointless cricket for both players and fans, which is not what we want is it now?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
open365 said:
Frustration is part of sport.

In test cricket, you win a match by bowling the opposition out twice and score more runs than them in 5 days, if you don't do that, then you don't deserve to win the match, simple as.
Even if one of the days was rained out?

Let's say we get the situation where the only realistic chance of not losing the game for the batting side is to block out for a draw, if they were in the 5th day at lunch with 4 wickets left, it would already be all over because they know they can't stand a 6th day.

Adding a 6th day would virtualy wipe out the draw, and mean a lot more pointless cricket for both players and fans, which is not what we want is it now?
Why? Why would there be a sixth day if all the overs have been bowled. If 450 overs are bowled within 5 days, then its a draw and no sixth day is needed.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
its not a bad idea but with the amount if cricket teams play already its unlikely that the players will want it. But one country i do think 6-day test should seriously be considered is in Pakistan because of the light factor during their cricket season.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Opportunistics Idea at best. I would rather have a drawn test than India winning on a 6th day (which is not a gaurantee any way). Take an example of the current test, The way Lara and Chanders are batting right now, it seems like they will go on forever (and 6th day IMO isn't going to be enough). However, if one of them falls now, suddenly India will be back in the game.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:
its not a bad idea but with the amount if cricket teams play already its unlikely that the players will want it. But one country i do think 6-day test should seriously be considered is in Pakistan because of the light factor during their cricket season.
There isn't really much difference in Lahore, Mohali, Delhi, Multan etc. or Karachi, Mumbai etc. So dont single out Pakistan.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Sanz said:
There isn't really much difference in Lahore, Mohali, Delhi, Multan etc. or Karachi, Mumbai etc. So dont single out Pakistan.
you sure?, i have seen a fair amount of cricket in India over the last 5 years i.e 2 England & 2 Australian tours & their hasn't ever been the problem of light being a problem at 4 to 430 in the afternoon as their has been in Pakistan during England's tours last winter & 2000.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, I am positive. England played Pakistan in the early winter, it really gets dark by 4:30-5:00 pm local time. i.e. daylight is shorter whereas they played India in the later part of the winter when the daylight is much better in the region. Also India is a much bigger country and hence not all the matches are scheduled in Mohali/Delhi in a particular tour. If you watch the Mohali test match that England Played in India in December 2002, England had to bat in Floodlights during.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/in_depth/cricket/2001/england_on_tour/1693673.stm

open365

silentstriker said:
Even if one of the days was rained out?

Why? Why would there be a sixth day if all the overs have been bowled. If 450 overs are bowled within 5 days, then its a draw and no sixth day is needed.
If a day was rained out, then idealisticaly a 6th day would be a good solution, however, it is totaly out of the question to have an optional 6th day for rain.

Damit,i misunderstood you, stupid me.

Still, it's a good idea in principal but it just wouldn't work, and there's some chalenging questions here, i.e. if the 5th day ends with 5 overs left and the game is completely dead, do you come back tommorow?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
open365 said:
If a day was rained out, then idealisticaly a 6th day would be a good solution, however, it is totaly out of the question to have an optional 6th day for rain.

Damit,i misunderstood you, stupid me.

Still, it's a good idea in principal but it just wouldn't work, and there's some chalenging questions here, i.e. if the 5th day ends with 5 overs left and the game is completely dead, do you come back tommorow?

No, because the referee would decide there is no chance for a result. If there are five overs left, and only one or two wickets to get, then you would come back. If you need eight wickets, then you wouldn't (Unless you are the WI pace quartet, and you manage to convince the referee).

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
silentstriker said:

Why would they bat longer? In the end, its still 450 overs.

You are increasing costs by 20% for a start (hotels, flights etc - you HAVE to assume the game would go the full distance). The economics mean it's as likely to happen as the other thread where people want to force Ed Joyce to play for Ireland.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
luckyeddie said:
You are increasing costs by 20% for a start (hotels, flights etc - you HAVE to assume the game would go the full distance). The economics mean it's as likely to happen as the other thread where people want to force Ed Joyce to play for Ireland.

No way. More cricket = more coverage/tickets = more money. Economics would work in favor in this instance, not against. Even if one in five or seven tests went to the sixth day, I bet you'd cover and more.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
How is it more cricket, Didn't you suggest only 450 overs (i.e. 90 overs/day) ? Also whehter or not the game is over in 5 days, they still need to make arrangements for 6 days and hence 20 % increase in cost. Also, the whole tour has to be scheduled like that i.e. to accomodate all those extra days.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
silentstriker said:
No way. More cricket = more coverage/tickets = more money. Economics would work in favor in this instance, not against. Even if one in five or seven tests went to the sixth day, I bet you'd cover and more.
Have you ever done any scheduling?

I thought not.

Simple mathematics - add one day for every single test match played. How many games a year? 80 or so?

That's another 80 days taken out of an already crammed schedule, so the only way you can find room for more days is to reduce the number of tests.

Good plan.

Jungle Jumbo

silentstriker said:
And loads of supporters are going to turn up for a sixth day which could last only a few overs?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
pasag said:
Its not such a bad idea. If it seems like a result could come of it and alot of time was missed, then why not. Nothing is more frustrating then dedicating 5 days of your life for a test match for it to end in a draw.
So how exactly does a "provisional" day fit into the schedule then, bearing in mind it is already pretty packed?

And what criteria are needed to make the extra day come into play, because a side can't finish off the opposition within the actual time allocated?!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Dasa said:
There was talk of adding a sixth day to some Test matches in the Pakistan v England series as well, because of all the time lost to bad light.
But that's a different matter - that is more to do with the daylight hours available, and wouldn't actually add any extra time to a game, just spread it better.

Mind you, IIRC they started the days later than was necessary?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Goughy said:
I think we are fine as we are. Losing time and having that get in the way of a victory is very frustrating. It is how ever part of the game. I still have sleepless nights over West Indies v England, Trinidad, 1990.
Wasn't that one more to do with Mr Haynes and 8 overs in an hour?