• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best catches - video clips

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Any of Dyer "catching" Jones down the legside in the 1987/88 NZ v Aus series in Aussie?

;)

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
the best catch iv ever seen was in a club match i played in a few years ago... it was more luck than anything but astonishing nonetheless.

It was a rank longhop a foot down leg and this guy middles a pull shot (and i mean middles it, probably would have been 1 bounce four, and the guy feilding at short leg, not more than 2 yards away sticks out his wrong hand (god knows how, it certainly wasnt reactions), and it stuck . He didnt even juggle it.
Never seen anything like it! True story:-O

Matt79

Global Moderator
albo97056 said:
the best catch iv ever seen was in a club match i played in a few years ago... it was more luck than anything but astonishing nonetheless.

It was a rank longhop a foot down leg and this guy middles a pull shot (and i mean middles it, probably would have been 1 bounce four, and the guy feilding at short leg, not more than 2 yards away sticks out his wrong hand (god knows how, it certainly wasnt reactions), and it stuck . He didnt even juggle it.
Never seen anything like it! True story:-O
You see some pretty freaky catches in indoor cricket sometimes.
I can't field, but I took a totally unintentional catch whilst fielding about 1.5 metres away from the bat (with the nets digging into my back) as our "spinner" produced an exceeding short, slow, straight break to their rather large shaved gorilla with a club who proceeded to smash it right at me. As I looked up expecting to see the next world, I discovered a) I wasn't dead, and b) I'd taken it cleanly, one handed with the hand I instinctively threw in front of my face (the other hand was engaged instinctively protecting points south). I wish somebody had taped it, it will no doubt remain my sole career highlight in the field.

adharcric

International Coach
Of those, I'd rate Sinclair's as the best. Many of them are overrated; hell, I can imagine myself taking (or having taken) a few like that in the field.

C_C

International Captain
Best catching thread and no Jonty ?!

Ps: A truely astonishing catch i saw was in the England-South Africa series - dont remember who was batting or bowling ( just a short clip) but Gibbs was at slips, grabs at the ball which falls through his hands and he kicks it up with his boot and grabs it the second time.
Not only was it athletic, it was a blindingly fast piece of thinking. Probably one of the best cathes i've ever seen.

Steulen

International Regular
Any footage of the West-Indian spectator with the newspaper taking a one-handed catch without any fuss? that's the best spectator catch I've ever seen.

Strauss' Superman catch in last year's ashes was pretty good too. Collingwood's still the best, though, imo.

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
silentstriker said:
Oh man, wouldn't it be hilarious if Monty Panesar took a catch that was worthy enough to be in this thread?
Surely his reaction alone after finally catching Dhoni at Mumbai after completely missing one the ball before is worthy of being considered great.

His face was a picture.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Collingwoods was great and I loved the Boon catch but Dales take the biscuit.

"Oh! What a Ripper!!" My sentiments exactly