Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Test Teams(icc Wake Up)

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy
    I agree with you to a certain extent, but the 2 competitions you mentioned involved players who had 'real' Test and ODI cricket available. It meant less for them to play for a region rather than their nation.

However, Im talking about players who are not from Test nations and have no other outlet to play at the highest level. It is an important distinction and would make it far more competetive and meaningful.

I mean what is more attractive. Test cricket for your region or random non-ODI games for your country with the occasional FC game?
    I can see your point, but surely only countries deemed good enough to put out their own side should be able to play Tests? England vs UAE/Nepal/Hong Kong?PNG etc doesn't really appeal to me.

still scratching around in the same old hole
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo
    England vs UAE/Nepal/Hong Kong?PNG etc doesn't really appeal to me.
    Dude, please read the original post I made.

The current system Eng, Aus, Ind, Pak etc continues whist at the same time a system of test matches takes place involving Regional or Continental teams.

The teams in the 2 systems would never play each other but both would count towards test cricket stats and would avoid mis-matches whilst at the same time providing high level cricket.
    There would be 2 Test systems. The teams in each would not play each other. What we have at the moment would continue and we would have games between Africa and Europe etc.

As I said Im not convinced but it is worth looking at.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    Fair enough. I feel the current system of the Intercontinental Cup (which becomes fully global with a second tier in the near future IIRC) and the Test nations works well enough.

There would be 2 Test systems. The teams in each would not play each other. What we have at the moment would continue and we would have games between Africa and Europe etc.
    Not a bad idea, as long as they don't call them Tests, happy if them call them internationals or something like that
    You know it makes sense.

Does anyone else see the similarities to the gay marrige debate. Seriously, if you remove test and replace marrige, it could be the exact same thing. People dont mind if they are together as long as they dont call it marrige devaluing the institution, call it, say a civil union.

Same thing with test status, you can play them, just dont call it a test because that devalues the institution.

Am I making any sense?
    Last edited by pasag; 22-05-2006 at 08:46 PM.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag
    Does anyone else see the similarities to the gay marrige debate. Seriously, if you remove test and replace marrige, it could be the exact same thing. People dont mind if they are together as long as they dont call it marrige devaluing the institution, call it, say a civil union.

Same thing with test status, you can play them, just dont call it a test because that devalues the institution.

Am I making any sense?

oddly, yes you are. Interesting connection to make.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag

Am I making any sense?

Uh-oh. Thats not a good analogy because gay marriage does not hurt anyone else, whereas giving test status to minnows has a direct and appreciable impact on all cricketing records and competition.

Plus, that's a logical fallacy: argumentum ad antiquitatem (appeal to tradition). The reason Test cricket is an exclusive club is not simply due to some tradition, or some percieved snobbery on part of its member countries. Usually, its quite the opposite, with ICC and their wild expansionist plans.

You are right in that it devalues cricket, but its not because of some percieved impact to a theoretical entity (devalue of an institution). I don't think we want to be associated with the anti-gay-marriage crowd, at least in terms of the reasoning behind not granting test status to countries.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 22-05-2006 at 09:56 PM.

Good points.

Cricket Spectator

What are records againts Minnows

Hey u guys so much againts minnows .........what records have created againts Zim & Bangladesh when they entered test.....No one has scored triple century yet againts them yet.....one format 400 runs came in match which was play not with minnows but with worlds no1 & no2 team AUS vs RSA......... Even 400 by Lara came againts England.......
    are these teams Minnows but records are againts big teams also........
    in 1983 Sri Lanka was also a minnow associate nation but they have world cup to there name.......
    We are not expecting test status on a click ....but let these nations play first test with
    bangladesh or zimbabwe westindies .then big boys can play them....
    unlesss and untill they get the exposure how will these teams improve....Why cricket should be restricted to small world....

And Kenya deserved test status before bangladesh....world cup semi finalist how many one days it has played since world cup ...Icc should support these nations

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    So you're ignoring the 380 by Hayden then?

The reason the records haven't been broken is because there's so much Cricket played that countries try to get the games over and done with as quickly as possible.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

The only way any of these teams will ever improve is if they can start affording a squad of about 16 full-time contracts.

Players are never going to be able to reach the standards required if they have to work a normal non-cricket 9-5 job at the same time, with full time contracts players can afford to hone their games at english clubs and minor counties and maybe spend winters playing grade cricket/South African club cricket.

Then you will see improvements and it would also stop other countries nicking the best stars.

yup central minnow contracts are deffo they way to go !
    P.S. We beat England at Lord's
    Member of the RTDAS.
    Member of the ESAS - Edgar Schiferli Appreciation Society
    President of the DNAS - Dirk Nannes Appreciation Society
    Member of the CW Colts!

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think it's really disappointing of her - would only take a minute or two of her time....
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy View Post
    Wishful thinking on your behalf.

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kweek
    yup central minnow contracts are deffo they way to go !

maybe each of the main countries should sponsor 20 players from another country to play cricket full time. This would create links between countries and also allow the minnow nations to spend more money on other things like developing facilities or developing the game at grass roots level.

Banned
    or another one would be to get the ICC to put a lot of funding into a country for 8 years you may ask 8 years why? As the initial 4 years before coming and the 4 years to get settled and a good finincial base i recommend after the world cups!

Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    There were enough people on these boards castigating the ICC for throwing Bangladesh into the fray in 2000 - and they were the best minnow of the time by some way.

Six years later, many are warming to them but they still have a long way to go before they can be labelled as anything more than 'competitive'. It's only the farce that is Zimbabwe that protects Bangladesh from further criticism at the moment.

I honestly think that we will be lucky to see another side bridging the gap to test match status and standard in my lifetime.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information