• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Test Teams(icc Wake Up)

mihir_ozz

Cricket Spectator
Hi,
This era of player burnout.:ph34r: .....more team would increase more pressure..thats true. But i have developed a plan. where we can have 16 Test playing Nations For Eg: Kenya,Holland,Ireland,Soctland,Canada,Bermuda & Bangladesh,Zimbabwe.....
Instead of intercontinental cup.these teams when they play againts each other they can play 2test & 5ODI. for eg when INDIA tour England. Instead of wasting time in practice mathces againts British Universites they can Tour Holland Or Ireland for 1test & 3 Odis.
Or if Australia Tours India they can have 1test & 3 Odi at Bangladesh same while going to Windes or South Africa.
These Top 8 Teams can play 3-5test againts each other but they can play 1test with other minnows and let them gain conifndance of developing cricket..
Bangladesh has not won a test after defeating Zimbabwe this really put players morale down.....Even Same with Zimbabwe...Bangladesh showed great match againts Australia in 1st test.But it took them six years.....Kenya has good Calibure of test team they even showed their power in ODI in world cup...They won againts India twice,Srilanka,Bangladesh,Zimababwe. But No ODI for them after world cup only sharjah cup and aftrer 3yrs they play againts Zim & Bangladesh. Is ICC really concerned of games popularity of want to stuck to same teams .....Cricket is losing good players like Tikolo,Hamilton,Zudirent......
Ireland & Soctland are winners of Intercontinental Cup....is'nt this there good signs of playing longer version.....No Other ICC-Trophy winning team has granted Test Status...after Lanka,Zim,Bang......Lanka has a world cup to its name...Give them chance and they will prove .....Kenya is just wasted by ICC...

we should try to put this message forward to ICC.......when they are trying to promote game in USA & China who are least intrested in playing cricket.....ICC is neglaecting teams such as Ireland,Kenya,Soctland,Holland,Canada...........
They have granted them ODI status but they should look this minnows play atleast 15ODIs per year and 10 of them with Major Teams such as INDIA,PAKISTAN,SRI LANKA,NEW ZEALAND,ENGLAND.......etc these team can also give younger blood taste of cricket with minnows this will reduce burn out also.

In Case of USA & CHINA ......there should be Increase of Clubs and 20-20 cricket should be introduced in those countries

Thanks & Reagrds
Mihir

mihir_ozz

Cricket Spectator
Thanks for reply

thanks for replying....it won't devalue the quality of test cricket...
If Australia plays 2-3 test with bangladesh/zimbabwe it will surly devalue.
here they should only play 1off test and 3 odis as warm up.
IF Aussies are Schedule to play Ashes in England...they can go to Scotland or Ireland for 1off test and 3odis ...it will be good warm up for aussies too and good chance for minnows to prove themselves.... Bangladesh nearly this time scared aussies in 1st test......
give them time to improve... lot of talent is wasted ....in minnows...
there are lot of Lara's Sachins pontings,warney in minnows just they can't make mark cause there team is not up to test mark....
Look at sri lanka they got murali.......it was also a associate nation....what if they would'nt have got test status ........we would have missed murali.....same with Andy flower...Ashraful...
Cricket should grow globally

archie mac

International Coach
mihir_ozz said:
thanks for replying....it won't devalue the quality of test cricket...
If Australia plays 2-3 test with bangladesh/zimbabwe it will surly devalue.
here they should only play 1off test and 3 odis as warm up.
IF Aussies are Schedule to play Ashes in England...they can go to Scotland or Ireland for 1off test and 3odis ...it will be good warm up for aussies too and good chance for minnows to prove themselves.... Bangladesh nearly this time scared aussies in 1st test......
give them time to improve... lot of talent is wasted ....in minnows...
there are lot of Lara's Sachins pontings,warney in minnows just they can't make mark cause there team is not up to test mark....
Look at sri lanka they got murali.......it was also a associate nation....what if they would'nt have got test status ........we would have missed murali.....same with Andy flower...Ashraful...
Cricket should grow globally
I don't mind them playing those matches, I just don't think they should be given Test status. What if for instance Aust play Scotland in a 'Test' and Ponting scores 453 there goes the highest Test score, and another very important Aussie record.

Last edited:

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
I don't mind them playing those matches, I just don't think they should be given Test status. What if for instance Aust play Scotland in a 'Test' and Ponting scores 453 there goes the highest Test score another very important Aussie record.

i agree, i think it is a good idea for Australia to play against these other nations as warm ups though - FC status is probably best though

Barney Rubble

International Coach
age_master said:
i agree, i think it is a good idea for Australia to play against these other nations as warm ups though - FC status is probably best though
Exactly what I was about to say. Sounds a good idea all round, though. :)

mihir_ozz

Cricket Spectator
Pontings 453*

Yes ponting may score 453 in Test if played againts Minnows.........ya when minnows were intorduce to oneday there were lot of talks that teams will score 400+ runs againts them........but my dear friend 400+ total came in Aus vs SA game numer 1 and 2 teams in the world....so why to rate them off.......previously Associate teams have produced good players like Desilva,Murlidharan,Andy Flower.....they were all associate teams before making it too test status.....what are records againts them even 400 is againts England..by Lara...that does'nt make england week team......
And these teams like soctland,ireland,Kenya are playing Intercontinental cup since last 2-3yrs.
i don't recollect if anyone has scored triple century againts bangladesh even when they entered test cricket...there was also lot of critisism for that..

apart from Scots and Ireland.don't u think there lot injustice done too Kenya Cricket...
These teams are working hard of Infrastructure........

cpr

International Coach
hmm, another player who's been felled (untill this season) by the minnow status, Ed Joyce....

The time it takes a batsman to hit 450, especially against half decent (not gonna say test standard!) bowlers, is enough to waste time and make it a draw. Doubt the aussies would be too proud of a draw test series with ireland ;)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Ponting scores at a pretty good rate. I would think he could do it within a day and a half (two days maximum). That would leave plenty of time to bowl a side like Ireland out twice.

pasag

RTDAS
Would Ponting even play? He would undoubtdly be rested if the matches took place towards the end of the season.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Whilst the post may have rambled a little there is a legitimate point in there. Others also have a valid pov.

The balancing act is how to involve countries in high level cricket without devaluing crickets crown jewel, Test matches.

It’s a difficult problem.

One solution that I have discussed with people (I am not sure of it and I am still thinking about it) is to have a dual Test and ODI system.

The current system Eng, Aus, Ind, Pak etc continues whist at the same time a system of test matches takes place involving Regional or Continental teams.

The teams in the 2 systems would never play each other but both would count towards test cricket stats and would avoid mis-matches whilst at the same time providing high level cricket.

There could also be a regional fc competition between countries for pride and selection.

For Example (the best players from countries in each region would represent that region)
Europe- Scot, Ire, Hol, Den etc
Africa- Kenya, Namibia etc
Americas- Canada, Bermuda, USA etc
Asia- Pacific Islands, Nepal, UAE etc

I am not 100% sold on the idea, as I’m quite a traditionalist, but I am all for different solutions to be discussed and investigated.

Out of interest, anyone capable of putting together hypothetical teams for these regions? I would think that Europe would be pretty damn strong.

Last edited:

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Goughy said:
Whilst the post may have rambled a little there is a legitimate point in there. Others also have a valid pov.

The balancing act is how to involve countries in high level cricket without devaluing crickets crown jewel, Test matches.

It’s a difficult problem.

One solution that I have discussed with people (I am not sure of it and I am still thinking about it) is to have a dual Test and ODI system.

The current system Eng, Aus, Ind, Pak etc continues whist at the same time a system of test matches takes place involving Regional or Continental teams.

The teams in the 2 systems would never play each other but both would count towards test cricket stats and would avoid mis-matches whilst at the same time providing high level cricket.

There could also be a regional fc competition between countries for pride and selection.

For Example (the best players from countries in each region would represent that region)
Europe- Scot, Ire, Hol, Den etc
Africa- Kenya, Namibia etc
Americas- Canada, Bermuda, USA etc
Asia- Pacific Islands, Nepal, UAE etc

I am not 100% sold on the idea, as I’m quite a traditionalist, but I am all for different solutions to be discussed and investigated.

Out of interest, anyone capable of putting together hypothetical teams for these regions? I would think that Europe would be pretty damn strong.
IMO would be pointless - Afro-Asia Cup and Super Series have shown that playing for a region is not the same as playing for a team. Wouldn't work.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Jungle Jumbo said:
IMO would be pointless - Afro-Asia Cup and Super Series have shown that playing for a region is not the same as playing for a team. Wouldn't work.
I agree with you to a certain extent, but the 2 competitions you mentioned involved players who had 'real' Test and ODI cricket available. It meant less for them to play for a region rather than their nation.

However, Im talking about players who are not from Test nations and have no other outlet to play at the highest level. It is an important distinction and would make it far more competetive and meaningful.

I mean what is more attractive, Test cricket for your region or random non-ODI games for your country with the occasional FC game?

Last edited:

Jungle Jumbo

Goughy said:
I agree with you to a certain extent, but the 2 competitions you mentioned involved players who had 'real' Test and ODI cricket available. It meant less for them to play for a region rather than their nation.

However, Im talking about players who are not from Test nations and have no other outlet to play at the highest level. It is an important distinction and would make it far more competetive and meaningful.

I mean what is more attractive. Test cricket for your region or random non-ODI games for your country with the occasional FC game?
I can see your point, but surely only countries deemed good enough to put out their own side should be able to play Tests? England vs UAE/Nepal/Hong Kong?PNG etc doesn't really appeal to me.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Jungle Jumbo said:
England vs UAE/Nepal/Hong Kong?PNG etc doesn't really appeal to me.
Dude, please read the original post I made.

Goughy said:

There would be 2 Test systems. The teams in each would not play each other. What we have at the moment would continue and we would have games between Africa and Europe etc.

As I said Im not convinced but it is worth looking at.

Jungle Jumbo

Fair enough. I feel the current system of the Intercontinental Cup (which becomes fully global with a second tier in the near future IIRC) and the Test nations works well enough.

archie mac

International Coach
Goughy said:
There would be 2 Test systems. The teams in each would not play each other. What we have at the moment would continue and we would have games between Africa and Europe etc.
Not a bad idea, as long as they don't call them Tests, happy if them call them internationals or something like that :)

pasag

RTDAS
Does anyone else see the similarities to the gay marrige debate. Seriously, if you remove test and replace marrige, it could be the exact same thing. People dont mind if they are together as long as they dont call it marrige devaluing the institution, call it, say a civil union.

Same thing with test status, you can play them, just dont call it a test because that devalues the institution.

Am I making any sense?

Last edited: