• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Best World Cup

The best worldcup?

• Total voters

C_C

International Captain
1992 world cup for me.

That was the first time i saw Lara and Rhodes. Both were superb.
Also 92 World cup left some of the most vivid cricketing memories in my mind - Wasim blowing out Lara's toe and Lara hobbling back with the physio and towel boy, Jonty pulling a superman to run out Inzy and utterly stupefy Imran( who was at the other end bending around the umpire looking with his bat and arm in the air), Sachin blasting away against the kiwis, Wasim's absolute stunners in the final ( two of the best balls i've ever seen and in terms of 'first impressions', far more stunning than the so-called 'ball of the century')

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
1992 has been the worst WC ever, Thanks to D/L. I almost quit watching cricket after what happened in that SA/ENG match. It makes me mad every time I think about that stupid rule.
They got what was coming to them, they were far from blameless in that game...

Craig

World Traveller
Sanz said:
Shouldn't this thread be limited only to the world cups you have watched ? Seriously how can a cup be memorable when you haven't even watched it ?

Silentstriker, Did you watch World Cup 1983 and if you did do you remember anything about it ? or it is best just because India won it ?
Then the 1999 World Cup for me.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Sultan Zarawani's hat.
Probably rank's up there as one of the stupidiest things done in cricket and in world sport when facing Allan Donald at his best.

A bit like walking out to face Jeff Thompson or Andy Roberts with the words 'Hit here' tattooed from your chest up to the forehead.

Raymond

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
2003 coz the it was organized

1999 was sheer fun and drama

1999 was an exciting year as it was last before 2000, lot of development in TV Coverage, Media, Commercials etc

It was in England (where cricket was born)

As far as Finals are concerned

1992 ( Wasims Heroics)
1987 ( No one can forget the reverse sweep)
1983 ( India shocked the windies after posting 183)

_________

1996 (Worst ever) = free points, although the Windies/Aus, Ind/Pak were real dramatic

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Would have to say 99. Why? Because in two-hundred years, they'll probably still be remembering how the Aussies won eight straight.
*is patriotic*

adharcric

International Coach
I'm predicting next year's World Cup to be an excellent one as well, mainly because there is so much young talent and indisciplined teams like India and Pakistan are finally achieving their potential somewhat with emphasis on fielding and fitness.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
I would have to say 1992. It's the first one I remember, and because it was played here and shown on free-to-air TV, I got to see most of it (even one game live). It had the fairest format, New Zealand did well, and both semis were unforgettable.

I think most tournaments have featured good, bad, and indifferent players, so that doesn't really jump up as a factor for me.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
mundaneyogi said:
I got to see most of it (even one game live).me.
Which game? Our high school rather kindly gave us the option of going to the game (NZ v India) for the day - which was nice.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
It's easy to forget how good much of 1999 was given how awful the final was. And, from my one-eyed Englishman's pov it was a disaster. But there was some wonderful cricket played by Aus, SA & Pakistan, and I can see why people rate it. 1996 was pretty good, although not helped by Aus and I forget who else boycotting the games in SL and the riot when India went out. I love that particular tournament because SL won it in such style, even if the mythology about Kalu & Jaya's role that we often hear is complete bollox. But it was a better tournament than people have indicated on this thread so far, not least because it had a better structure than the subsequent ones.

1992 & 1987 were definitely the most frustrating ones. Gatting's stupid reverse sweep in the 1987 final should preclude him from offering any insight on the game in any circumstances you could possibly imagine, but unfortunately that hasn't happened. Was 1992 really great? I dunno. Pakistan ended up worthy winners, but were lucky to get that far after their earlier game against England was washed out after they'd been dismissed for 70odd. Sour grapes? Probably. Botham's role has been hugely re-written subsequently, tbh. Greatbach, OTOH, has almost beedn airbrushed out of history compared to the much lesser achievements of K&J four years later. No idea why.

1983 wasn't a great tournament but had possibly the most satisfying final ever. 1979 was like 2003 - great cricket played by one outstanding side, and not much else to remember.

I suppose 1975 was my favourite. Your first WC is always going to be memorable, and there was much to enjoy. Kallicheran setting about Lillee in the group game, Lloyd's 100 and Richards' fielding in the final. The extraordinary Aus/England semi. The great WI/Pakistan game. If I watched it now, it probably wouldn't make such an impression, but at the time it was all very special indeed.

Craig

World Traveller
mundaneyogi said:
I would have to say 1992. It's the first one I remember, and because it was played here and shown on free-to-air TV, I got to see most of it (even one game live). It had the fairest format, New Zealand did well, and both semis were unforgettable.

I think most tournaments have featured good, bad, and indifferent players, so that doesn't really jump up as a factor for me.
Or Dipak Patel opening the bowling!

Still if Martin Crowe probably hadn't been injured and been able to captain the side then New Zealand probably would have won, but it took a special knock by Inzi to get Pakistan to the final.