• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your countries all time ODI eleven!!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
LOL @ Arjun putting Sehwag ahead of Ganguly in ODIs. That's laughable.

And Francis, this constant grudge you hold over NZ is getting tiring and I'm not even a Kiwi. Let it go because its making you look like a fool, and its hard to take some of your posts seriously.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Sachin Tendulkar
Sourav Ganguly(C)
Navjot Sidhu
Rahul Dravid
Md. Azharuddin
SM Kirmani (WK)
KapilDev
Roger Binny
Madan Lal
Javagal Srinath
Anil Kumble

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
AUSTRALIA:

Adam Gilchrist+
Mark Waugh
Ricky Ponting
Dean Jones
Steve Waugh (c)
Michael Bevan
Mike Hussey
Shane Warne
Brett Lee
Dennis Lillee
Glenn McGrath

12th man: Andrew Symonds

ENGLAND:

Marcus Trescothick
Nick Knight
Graeme Hick
Allan Lamb
Kevin Pietersen
Ian Botham (c)
Andrew Flintoff
Alec Stewart+
Darren Gough
Dereck Underwood
Bob Willis

12th man: Graham Thorpe

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I reckon you'd slot in Waugh for Symonds (who at his peak was a better bowler as well) and just move Hussey down one spot.

You can have Symonds as 12th man so he can field :p

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well yea i guess your right Waugh at his best was a better bowler than Symonds & a bit better bat although Symonds is a more dangerous hitter. I'll go edit..

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
tendulkar
ganguly
sidhu
dravid
azhar
shastri
kapil
binny
kirmani
srinath
kumble

Fusion

Global Moderator
C_C said:
Agree with most of your selection- except for Sohail. I would rather have Ijaz instead.
I always thought Sohail was the perfect partner for Anwar. Whereas Anwar had the better technique and temperament, Sohail provided the aggressiveness and kept the run rate down (while chasing). Just IMHO.

Last edited:

C_C

International Captain
Fusion said:
I always thought Sohail was the perfect partner for Anwar. Whereas Anwar had the better technique and temperament, Sohail provided the aggressiveness and kept the run rate down (while chasing). Just IMHO.
Fair enough..but i personally see Ijaz as a better ODI batsman than Sohail...and Ijaz batted most of the time at #3 in ODIs....i dont think a #3 would have much problem opening in ODIs and as such, if i were to choose a batsman between Ijaz and Sohail, i'd go for Ijaz.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Voltman said:
Did a Kiwi bloke steal one of your girlfriends? That might explain this unhealthy disregard you have for NZ.

Anyway, I'll give it a quick stab.

1. Nathan Astle
2. Glenn Turner
3. Stephen Fleming
4. Martin Crowe
5. Chris Cairns
6. Chris Harris
7. Adam Parore
8. Sir Richard Hadee
9. Daniel Vettori
10. Shane Bond
11. Geoff Allott/Ewen Chatfield
Nevermind, I forgot this was an ODI eleven. I just made an idiot of myself.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Arjun said:
For India
  • Tendulkar
  • Sehwag
  • Dravid
  • Azharuddin
  • Yuvraj
  • Jadeja
  • Kapil Dev
  • Nayan Mongia
  • Anil Kumble
  • Srinath
  • Prasad
Hopefully Irfan will score more runs and take more wickets, since he's a significantly betterfielder than Prasad. Then again, so are most of the current Indian ODI regulars. He's also a more effective bowler than Robin Singh, but that's just obvious! Another current regular I hope to see here is MS Dhoni, for Jadeja. Of course, if Irfan played, there would be a question who takes the ball first-change?

Yuvraj Singh is one of the eleven top players India has ever produced? Boy, we are in trouble (along with NZ).

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
silentstriker said:
Nevermind, I forgot this was an ODI eleven. I just made an idiot of myself.
Haha I was going to say ;)

Edit: Fleming actually averages over 40 in test cricket now. :)

C_C

International Captain
silentstriker said:
Yuvraj Singh is one of the eleven top players India has ever produced? Boy, we are in trouble (along with NZ).
in all fairness, an alltime ODI XI would put Pakistan, West Indies and Australia right at the top of the heap ( my personal vote would go to the west indians despite their lack of a quality ODI allrounder- their batting depth is one of the best and their bowling depth unparallelled really) with the rest trailing quite a ways behind.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Fair enough..but i personally see Ijaz as a better ODI batsman than Sohail...and Ijaz batted most of the time at #3 in ODIs....i dont think a #3 would have much problem opening in ODIs and as such, if i were to choose a batsman between Ijaz and Sohail, i'd go for Ijaz.
I would go with Ijaz only in the subcontinent otherwise Sohail

Slifer

International Captain
C_C said:
in all fairness, an alltime ODI XI would put Pakistan, West Indies and Australia right at the top of the heap ( my personal vote would go to the west indians despite their lack of a quality ODI allrounder- their batting depth is one of the best and their bowling depth unparallelled really) with the rest trailing quite a ways behind.
Really? I actually would have gone with Pakistan or Australia. Especially Pakistan: Waqar, Wasim, Imran, and Ahktar bowling in tandem WOW!! There batting is a bit lean but i think it is more than made up by that awesome bowling attack.

C_C

International Captain
Slifer said:
Really? I actually would have gone with Pakistan or Australia. Especially Pakistan: Waqar, Wasim, Imran, and Ahktar bowling in tandem WOW!! There batting is a bit lean but i think it is more than made up by that awesome bowling attack.

Well with the west indies, you have choices from Greenidge, Haynes, Gayle, Lara, Richards, and Lloyd to choose from in batting stakes- who are all either simply superb or alltime greats.
Dujon was a pretty competent bat and exemplary keeping against pace.
Then you have an excellent ODI allrounder in Hooper.
For bowling you got choices from Ambrose, Walsh, Marshall, Holding, Garner and Roberts....all great or at worst excellent ODI bowlers. I would put an alltime WI XI in ODIs in the same bracket as an OZ or PAK lineup.

Slifer

International Captain
Fair enough but just on gut feeling alone lets say these 3 teams met in a triangular tournament in lets say RSA. And it each team met the other 3 times who do u think would come out on top? WHich 2 would make the finals and assuming that the finals was a best of 3 affair who would come out on top overall? This question is to everyone BTW.

C_C

International Captain
Slifer said:
Fair enough but just on gut feeling alone lets say these 3 teams met in a triangular tournament in lets say RSA. And it each team met the other 3 times who do u think would come out on top? WHich 2 would make the finals and assuming that the finals was a best of 3 affair who would come out on top overall? This question is to everyone BTW.
If the meeting place is South Africa circa 1990s, West Indies would annihilate Pakistan and Australia, simply because on pitches that give bounce, WI bowlers were either super-destructive or extremely miserly. You just cant score much when the stock delivery is a good length ball comming in and bouncing to your ribs.
With the WI packed with players like Richards, Lloyd and Lara, they'd survive the conditions better than Pakistani and Australian batsmen IMO.

Last edited:

oz_fan

International Regular
IMO the WI would have the best ever ODI XI because they had the majority of excellent bowlers throughout the late 70's and throughout the 80's when ODI's had just started. Some of the bowlers that would be left out of the WI XI are classed as all time great bowlers. Many consider Joel Garner as the greatest ODI fast bowler of all time. The WI may lack a quality spinner but they make up for it with a fast bowling attack that would include the likes of Holding, Marshall, Ambrose, Walsh, Roberts, etc. The batsmen of the same period were at the peak of ODI cricket as well. The likes of Viv Richards (who would be IMO the greatest ODI batsmen of all time), Lloyd, Richardson, Haynes, Greenidge and in recent times Lara and Gayle are all top clas ODI batsmen. WI have an excellent keeper/batsman in Dujon.

I would place the Aussies second. Although they probably possess a weaker bowling lineup than the WI, they have variety. A great ODI spinner (Warne) and one of the greatest ODI bowlers (McGrath). They also have the hostility of Lillee and Lee and good part time bowling options (Bevan, Symonds). They have a fast scoring opening batting partnership (Gilchrist, Hayden/ M Waugh). They have a very strong middle order (Ponting and Jones). Jones was a very underated middle order ODI batsmen and both him and Ponting are capable of scoring hundreds. Australia also have Bevan who I would rate in the top three ODI batsmen of all time. He was able to adapt to any situation and often led Australia to victory. Michael Hussey is similar to Bevan and by the end of his career if he continues the way he is will probably be classed a better ODI batsmen. IMO they also havethe best ODI keeper/batmen in Gilchrist.

Both these teams dominated ODI cricket during their periods of glory, the WI during the late 70's and 80's and the Aussies from the mid 90's.

In no order:
The Pakistan XI would contain one of the greatest ODI bowling partnerhips (Wasim Akram and Waquar Younis) and also possess some excellent ODI batsmen (Miandad, Inzy).

The Indian XI contains some excellent ODI batsmen. IMO Tendulkar would be the second greatest ODI batsman of all time. Tendulkar along with Dravid, Ganguly and Azhar would make a very strong ODI batting lineup. They also have one of the greatest ODI allrounders (Kapil Dev).

South Africa have a team with some great allrounders. Klusener is one of the best lower order batsmen and capable of scoring at an extremely fast rate. Pollock is aquality ODI bowler and strong batmen with Kallis the opposite to Pollock. They also have one of the best ODI fast bowlers in Donald.

NZ possess a strong batting lineup (Crowe, Turner, Fleming, etc), excellent allrounders (Hadlee, Cairns) and a great spinner (Vettori) and fast bowler (Bond) along with good bowling support.

SL have a fast scoring opening partnership. Jayasuriya is one of the most explosive ODI batsmen of all time and a strong middle order (Sangakkara, Ranatunga, etc). They have an excellent fast bowler (Vaas) and superb ODI spinner (Murali).

England have strong batting which includes many explosive batsmen like Pieterson, Flintoff and Botham and two great allrounders (Botham and Flintoff). They also have a lot of good bowling options.

Beleg

International Regular
I choose Aamir Sohail ahead of Ijaz because of his bowling abilities and well, I like him better. :)

Like Sanz, I don't really rate Ijaz outside sub-continent. (except against Australia ;))

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
For England
  • Trescothick
  • Stewart (WK)
  • Knight
  • Gatting
  • Gower
  • Botham(RMF)
  • Flintoff(RFM)
  • Dermot Reeve (RM)
  • Derek Pringle (RM)
  • Giles (SLA)
  • Bob Willis (RF)
  • Derek Underwood (RFM)
Some of the selections here (seven, eight and nine) were a gamble. Maybe fans can help here.