• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in England

adharcric

International Coach
Barney Rubble said:
Trescothick > 90% of other openers in the world.
I think every opener in international cricket qualifies for that claim. :)
Where would you place him among today's test openers. Let's say, how would you rank C Gayle, G Smith and M Trescothick?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Given Fosters Oval is the best ground to pick Bandara to play , I would hope SL selectors give him a go there instead of Malinga or Dilhara, and perhaps play Mahroof in place of Kapugedera or Arnold . (if only for the sake of playing a 3rd seamer without weakening the batting)

dinu23

International Debutant
JASON said:
Given Fosters Oval is the best ground to pick Bandara to play , I would hope SL selectors give him a go there instead of Malinga or Dilhara, and perhaps play Mahroof in place of Kapugedera or Arnold . (if only for the sake of playing a 3rd seamer without weakening the batting)
I think we should play the same team. we have enough spin options in Murali,sana,Dilshan,Arnold.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
dinu23 said:
I think we should play the same team. we have enough spin options in Murali,sana,Dilshan,Arnold.
The way things are I don't see Bandara getting a go for a while and this is the best place to play him, but I can see your point about not changing a winning combination !

Barney Rubble

International Coach
adharcric said:
Where would you place him among today's test openers. Let's say, how would you rank C Gayle, G Smith and M Trescothick?
Hayden > Sehwag > Langer > Trescothick > Smith > Gayle > everyone else

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
adharcric said:

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hayden > Sehwag > Langer > Trescothick > Smith > Gayle > everyone else
Hayden > Sehwag? Ooooo........ considering how crud he's done in two series in England, very surprised to see that.

The top 3 would be fairly arguable by most people but I'd definitely put Tresco where you put him.

My own order would put Sehwag first (although when he's bad, he IS woeful) then Haydos, Lang, etc.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It'd depend on the track, to be honest. Five of those guys you know can cash in big time on placid conditions, but they all have noticeable technical issues in other places - swing (Hayden), short balls (Sehwag), fencing to slip (Trescothick, Gayle) and Matthew Hoggard (Smith). Langer I would pick if I had to choose one of the six to bat for my life, and to me that would be why I would have him as number one.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Excellent posts TC and Neil.

I don't know whether I'd go Langer or Sehwag, but I rate them both slightly ahead of Hayden. But TC is so right, if Sehwag is out of form, he's unbelievably woeful, and Hayden is pretty bad too, but Langer out of form is still serviceable.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Consider that with In-Form Sehwag, He is awesome. I dont think I have seen any test opener bat like that.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I also would put Hayden at #1.

Im still debating in my head whether Trescothick would be in the 2nd or 3rd World XI teams. He is underrated but he could never be in the World 1st XI (I know noone has suggested it, Im just saying)

Gajanayake

School Boy/Girl Captain
Neil Pickup said:
It'd depend on the track, to be honest. Five of those guys you know can cash in big time on placid conditions, but they all have noticeable technical issues in other places - swing (Hayden), short balls (Sehwag), fencing to slip (Trescothick, Gayle) and Matthew Hoggard (Smith). Langer I would pick if I had to choose one of the six to bat for my life, and to me that would be why I would have him as number one.
Langer's got some technical issues himself imo. He isn't anywhere near as good a player of spin as Sehwag and Hayden are and looking at his style it's easy to see why.
It's pretty obvious that his technique is far more suited to the higher boucing Aussie wickets and this is reflected in the 8 point differential between his home and away averages as well as his relatively poor record in India and Sri Lanka.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He also tends to lean over a bit too much early on his innings, which makes him vulnerable to the LBW just as much as Smith, however he seems to have handled it a lot better than Smith has.

dinu23

International Debutant
JASON said:
The way things are I don't see Bandara getting a go for a while and this is the best place to play him, but I can see your point about not changing a winning combination !
exactly my thoughts, why would you want to change a winning combination.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Gajanayake said:
Langer's got some technical issues himself imo. He isn't anywhere near as good a player of spin as Sehwag and Hayden are and looking at his style it's easy to see why.
It's pretty obvious that his technique is far more suited to the higher boucing Aussie wickets and this is reflected in the 8 point differential between his home and away averages as well as his relatively poor record in India and Sri Lanka.
Plus langer has always had a problem with taking his eye off the short balls aswell

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
TT Boy said:
Harmison bowled beautifully, shame about the rest, Mahmood getting creamed to all parts.
Sajid is doing the unthinkable in that he's making Kabir Ali look really good.
Bresnan would be OK if he didn't insist on sending down so many wides. Where do we get these guys from? Surely there are some guys in the CC who can offer better than this dross.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
And now Colliingwood's started to send down wides as well ...ffs ....

The saddest thing about all this is that, as obnoxiuos as Goughie is, you can't argue that he'd do a better job than nearly all of the guys currently playing.

EDIT
Talking of wides, htf does an offspinner send down a couple?

Last edited: