Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do England Take ODI's Seriously?

Do England Take ODI's Seriously?

Halsey and I were just having an argument about this on MSN. IMO they do, they are a professional unit that gives full effort to international cricket against competitive teams.

We also argued over whether Flintoff should be rested for ODI's, due to his back problems. Halsey mentioned resting him for the VB series late this year. To me this is utter rubbish. Flintoff, easily England's best ODI player, rested, AGAINST AUSTRALIA!!
    England would be rolled over without much fuss.

It should be noted that it is almost universally agreed, that ODI's are not as important as tests and comparisons between the two are irrelevant.

Comments?
    Member of LSU (bowl part time pies)

RIP Fardin

If flintoff is rested for anything it will be the Champions Trophy, and anyway is the VB series going to shorter because it's near the World Cup?

And England do take ODI's seriously it's just we suck at them.

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    I'm cnyical so yes, judging from results, it seems as if they couldn't care less about ODIs away from home.

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo
    We also argued over whether Flintoff should be rested for ODI's, due to his back problems. Halsey mentioned resting him for the VB series late this year. To me this is utter rubbish. Flintoff, easily England's best ODI player, rested, AGAINST AUSTRALIA!!
    England would be rolled over without much fuss.
    I'd rather nhe wasn't rested in the VB series, but I do think it is a possibility.

I'd rather it was the NatWest series or somrthing this year, because we've got Sri Lanka and Pakistan, so it's not important in the greater scheme of things.

I do want him rested at some point whatever happens, to prevent burn-out.

As for the rest of it, I see it that England use ODIs as a "breeding ground for future Test players".
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by open365
    I'm cnyical so yes, judging from results, it seems as if they couldn't care less about ODIs away from home.

Well, thats like saying India don't take tests seriously judging from their results away from home. Or that New Zealand doesn't take cricket seriously.

Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    England obviously take ODIs seriously. They have some very good ODI players, and it's perfectly obvious if you watch the games that they play them to win.

You could argue that the administrators of the game don't see ODI success outside of the World Cup as a major goal compared to tests, but that's not the same as saying England don't take the whole format of the game seriously.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    You could argue that the administrators of the game don't see ODI success outside of the World Cup as a major goal compared to tests, but that's not the same as saying England don't take the whole format of the game seriously.
    Obviously ODI wins are nice, but Tests are taken far more seriously than ODIs.

A lot of our recent Test debutants were tried out in ODIs before they were in Tests, because the selectors wanted to just have a look at them (for example Strauss and Pietersen).
    Last edited by Tom Halsey; 31-03-2006 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey
    Obviously ODI wins are nice, but Tests are taken far more seriously than ODIs.

A lot of our recent Test debutants were tried out in ODIs before they were in Tests, because the selectors wanted to just have a look at them (for example Strauss and Pietersen).
    That's true of Australia as well though. Look at Mitchell Johnson, Stuart Clark, Cameron White, Brett Dorey, Michael Clarke, Michael Hussey, and so on. All those guys were major considerations for test spots before they got picked in ODIs, and all of them except for White and Clarke are much better in the longer form. They got picked in ODIs to try them out.

You wouldn't say Australia don't care about ODIs though.

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by FaaipDeOiad
    That's true of Australia as well though. Look at Mitchell Johnson, Stuart Clark, Cameron White, Brett Dorey, Michael Clarke, Michael Hussey, and so on. All those guys were major considerations for test spots before they got picked in ODIs, and all of them except for White and Clarke are much better in the longer form. They got picked in ODIs to try them out.

You wouldn't say Australia don't care about ODIs though.
    I haven't said England 'don't care'.

Australia clearly take Tests more importantly than ODIs, and so do England. However that doesn't mean they 'don't care' as such, because obviously winning is nice.

An example - England's tour to SA 2004/5. We won the Tests, got a royal caining in the ODIs. Yet England fans (and I'm sure the team and management) were happy with the tour, because we won the Tests.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    It's odd. We obviously do take them seriously, but our team seems to be somehow less than the sum of its parts.

Not to make excuses, but we are without 3 nailed-on first choice players (Tres, Gilo & Harmy) plus our captain & a bowler who gets better with every ODI he misses (Si Jones).

I'd personally have an XI of

Trescothick
    Strauss
    Vaughan*
    Pietersen
    Flintoff
    Collingwood
    Read+
    Giles
    S Jones
    Harmison
    Anderson

Geraint comes off far too infrequently to justify his place, Prior can't field much less keep so I think Read's bustling unorthodoxy may just be the ticket. The tail may be slightly too long too, but really how many have our supposedly more able lower order batters contributed?
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey
    I haven't said England 'don't care'.

Australia clearly take Tests more importantly than ODIs, and so do England. However that doesn't mean they 'don't care' as such, because obviously winning is nice.

An example - England's tour to SA 2004/5. We won the Tests, got a royal caining in the ODIs. Yet England fans (and I'm sure the team and management) were happy with the tour, because we won the Tests.

Yeah, with the possible exception of India, all countries see it in a similar light (i.e Tests over ODI). Even India, I believe, would see Tests over ODI, with the exception of the WC, which takes precedence over all other games (including test series against australia, pakistan, engand, etc).

International Debutant Pedro Delgado's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Autobahn
    And England do take ODI's seriously it's just we suck at them.
    In a nutshell

When the lads put on the three lions they do their best whatever format.

I do enjoy the odd ODI but it gets a little dreary when there's 7 stuck on the end of a series etc, all a bit "after the Lord Mayors show".

I'd take England to go out of the WC at the group stage, if the guarantee was a drawn Ashes series down under to be honest.
    Member of the Rosalie Birch Appreciation Society (RBAS)
    Member of CVAAS - go Joe

You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    You're a ghost la la la la la la la la laaa
    I'm the church and I've come
    To claim you with my iron drum
    la la la la la la la la la la

The wolves are running..

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    The problem with England is that we don't have enough good ODI players.

Of the entire squad, I could make a case for 2 making a combined side with the Indian side...
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178

Of the entire squad, I could make a case for 2 making a combined side with the Indian side...
    KP & Freddie?

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178

Right now, sure, but at full strength you can mark down Trescothick and one or two of the pace bowlers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information