• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How Would You Rank The Teams?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
marc71178 said:
1-1 vs Australia reserves is different from 0-3 vs the full Australia side yes...

Regardless, I was making a point that a drawn series does not mean a failure, and in some cases could be quite the achievement.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
I disagree, for example: 1-1 in Australia is very much different than 0-3 in Australia. Yet, your rankings count them equally.

The same way, for England: 1-1 in India is better than 0-3 in India.
I did not actually base my rankings on the information I listed. I included the lists to show that there are no clear cut 2,3,4,5,6 places as teams are beating each other or drawing with each other all over the place. It was there to show that apart from no.1 few people could really argue if where there team was ranked in the top 3or4. Though there are obviously better choices than others.

And, whether a result is nice or a better acheivement than another the aim is to win the series. If you are not winning series and think that it is not that important then explain why every game not a 1off series.

No matter how you put it winning is better and more important than drawing.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
silentstriker said:
Regardless, I was making a point that a drawn series does not mean a failure, and in some cases could be quite the achievement.
Never said it was. Avoiding losing a series can be important (ala Eng in Ind) but you don't get points for not failing. You earn your jam by winning. That is how you get respect and prove you are better than the opponent.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Goughy said:
I did not actually base my rankings on the information I listed. I included the lists to show that there are no clear cut 2,3,4,5,6 places as teams are beating each other or drawing with each other all over the place. It was there to show that apart from no.1 few people could really argue if where there team was ranked in the top 3or4. Though there are obviously better choices than others.

And, whether a result is nice or a better acheivement than another the aim is to win the series. If you are not winning series and think that it is not that important then explain why every game not a 1off series.

No matter how you put it winning is better and more important than drawing.
No doubt, winning is better. But drawing is also very different from losing, and I don't like draws and losses being categorized the same.
It should be a point system, 1 point for win, 0 for draw and -1 for loss. See who comes out on top there.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
sirjeremy11 said:
I think the most interesting part of this is the names people are giving to the tables. Crack up.
I spent more time on the name than I did on the list. :ph34r: Wanted summat witty and clever...then I thought "**** it. I'll go back to Dave and Andrea"

And what do you want? People saying Sri Lanka are better than Australia?

steds

Hall of Fame Member
sirjeremy11 said:
THAT would be funny. Sure that someone could justify it though. In some crazy *** way.
Like "Australia haven't won a series in Sri Lanka for exactly 2 years"?

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Or "Sri Lanka are the only team that have ever won a World Cup that was staged at home (some of it), so they are better than Australia."

Muddaser

School Boy/Girl Captain
adharcric said:
I can understand India being ranked at best #4 in tests after the Mumbai show, but how the hell can anyone put any team besides Australia and South Africa ahead of India in one-dayers, especially Pakistan. India just crushed Pakistan 4-1.

Personally, I rate Pakistan highly in one-dayers as well, but just behind India at #4 at the moment.
Whats the record between India and Pakistan in the last 20 ODIs.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
However:

Last 20 ODI:

India: 15-5
Pak: 13-6 (1 NR)
SL: 7-12
NZ: 10-9 (1 NR)
AUS: 13-7 (wow, they are slipping)
ENG: 7-10
SA: 10-9

Based on this:

1. Aus (yea, worse record but too good over the last decade)
2. SA (Not the best record, but a series win against AUS = not easy)
3. Ind
4. Pak
5. NZ
6. ENG
7. SL

adharcric

International Coach
Muddaser said:
Whats the record between India and Pakistan in the last 20 ODIs.
why do you choose to ignore the reality of the present? pakisan may have been without akhtar (and afridi for the final two), well india were without sehwag and harbhajan. that said, pakistan won the last test match between the two nations and that's what matters. mind you, i'll never call that a "series win" because thanks to the ****-tracks that were prepared, it was virtually a one-off test match which pakistan won fair and square.

this thread is not about records, it's about how you personally rate the cricketing nations. a considerable part of that is records but not all of it.

Last edited:

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
adharcric said:
this thread is not about records, it's about how you personally rate the cricketing nations. a considerable part of that is records but not all of it.
Thanks! That is correct :)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
tests

australia
england
pakistan
india
south africa
new zealand
sri lanka
west indies

one dayers

australia
south africa
india
new zealand
pakistan
england
sri lanka
west indies

bangladesh

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
What's the point in this thread? Everyone's lists are more or less the same and no-one's bothering with the silly names anymore.

*rant over*

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
No silly names for me. Features clumping, though.

Tests
Australia

England

India
South Africa
Pakistan

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
West Indies

Bangladesh
Zimbabwe

ODIs
Australia

South Africa
India
New Zealand
Pakistan
Sri Lanka

England
West Indies

Bangladesh
Zimbabwe
Kenya

Holland
Scotland
etc.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Looks like the ICC tables are pretty fair then according to most in this thread. Even if the method is boring and convoluted.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
mundaneyogi said:
What's the point in this thread? Everyone's lists are more or less the same and no-one's bothering with the silly names anymore.

*rant over*
Well there seems to be a debate going on ATM, so in my opinion it's got more interesting.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
BlackCap_Fan said:
Well there seems to be a debate going on ATM, so in my opinion it's got more interesting.
For instance, I think that New Zealand are probably third or fourth best ODI side at the moment, and probably 6th equal with SL in tests, or maybe just ahead of them. But that is my opinion.

I remember when our test side was actually quite good. Mind you, if we all stay fit next month, I think we could give South Africa a fright.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
mundaneyogi said:

*rant over*
Yeah, you're an idiot. That's ridiculous, seriously that's just ridiculous. Two things: You've forgotten who your mates are, some of your comments about this thread? And the other thing is you're just an idiot talking about silly names... uh... everyones lists; you were one of the most boring posters to watch and from what I've seen so far in your posts, they're crap. You're forgetting who your mates are mate; about six hours ago I posted on one of your threads.

:)