• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most Terrible Innings

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Everyone is quick to praise and recognise great innings, but what about those innings that make you think "This guy is rubbish, how is he still out there?"

So this thread is a salute to those innings. The longer, the more painful, the better.

And remember, this is a personal thing.

I will start with three...

Nathan Astle - 52 vs SL 96/97 - Perfect example of a man trying to slog himself into form. For over 3 hours... http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1996-97/SL_IN_NZ/SL_NZ_T2_14-17MAR1997.html

Mark Richardson - 26(71) vs Australia 01/02 - To top it all off, he was stumped. The only time I have really, really wanted a NZ batsman to get out. First half of this innings, he spent it trying to get the ball further from him. At one point had 10 off 46 balls. But just looked plain awful... http://nz.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/2001-02/OD_TOURNEYS/VBS/SCORECARDS/AUS_NZ_VBS_ODI4_17JAN2002.html

Sunil Gavaskar - 36*(174) vs England WC75 - This one has to statistically be the worst. Couldn't believe it when I saw it... http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/WORLD_CUPS/WC75/ENG_IND_WC75_ODI1_07JUN1975.html

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well surely Denesh Ramdin's 2nd innings efforts in the last couple of Tests have to come into this discussion. He's a shadow of the player he was in Australia.

I'd have to put a proper think for this though. I shall return to this thread in due time.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well there have been conflicting stories about that Gavaskar knock.

Didn't someone only a few weeks ago post a link to an article regarding that innings, whereby Gavaskar claims he was in the worst form of his life and wanted to just move away from the ball and let it hit the stumps, or something similar to that? I'll have to try and dig it up.

tooextracool

International Coach
Pietersens 100 in Pakistan(must have had at least 5 chances)
Gibbs' 74 vs India in the 99/00 ODi series(fixed or not fixed)
Hussain's 33 vs India in the 99 world cup(looked like getting out almost every ball)
Hussain's 109 in SL where he had a billion lives.
Flintoff's 68 during the Ashes.
Haydens 36 at Old Trafford

archie mac

International Coach
Clarke's innings in the last Test V India the ball is turning a mile the Aussies do not need to many, so the boy genius decides to step to the on side and cut a ball off middle stump.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Another terrible innings I thought of - Hamish Marshall vs Glen McGrath 0(2) - Champions Trophy 2004. Pre game, the Aussies said they would go after Marshall and this happened....

8.1 McGrath to Marshall, no run, short ball, Marshall takes his eyes
off the ball, takes it on the body
8.2 McGrath to Marshall, OUT: pitches outside off swings in a long way,
Marshall tries to defend it on the front foot, ball misses the
inside edge of the bat and hits the pad, huge shout for lbw,
finger goes up!

It was so inevitable and made him look reminiscent of Chris Martin.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Jono said:
Well there have been conflicting stories about that Gavaskar knock.
I remember reading in the official program from the '92 World Cup, a story about Sunny's innings. The explanation offered in there was that Gavaskar thought it would be impossible to overhaul England's score, so he was going to use the time to get some batting practice.

Anyway, I've seen too many games to nominate any innings further back than this season, so mine would have to be Nathan Astle in the ODI at Christchurch against Sri Lanka in January. He was beaten past the bat so many times, there were ugly swipes, and the ones he did hit were poorly timed. To top it all off, the media painted it a triumph - a "fine innings". It was awful. Until that day I'd never wished Astle wasn't in the middle. How he got 90 not out is beyond me.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
I know it's been a short one but Udal this morning sounded pretty dire (to put it mildly)...

kvemuri

U19 12th Man
mundaneyogi said:
I remember reading in the official program from the '92 World Cup, a story about Sunny's innings. The explanation offered in there was that Gavaskar thought it would be impossible to overhaul England's score, so he was going to use the time to get some batting practice.
That was the same i read on a Cricinfo article that said he decided that 300+ runs off 360 balls (60 overs match) was un-achievable and decided to have a batting session. Ah here's the link.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought Adam Gilchrist's 90-odd in 2001 against England was pretty atrocious. He was dropped so many times and then then the ultimate irony, was dismissed just before getting a hundred which had all but been gifted to him. The shot which resulted in his out sort-of suggested he would have been embarrassed by getting a hundred!

Right up there is Bevo's 80-odd in Adelaide in 1996 against the WI; boy that was excrutiating..........

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
It's funny how some really big scores end up being awful batting - great patience, but not great batting. Apparently Hanif Mohammed was the king. And this one from Bryan Young was certainly a classic...

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1994-95/NZ_IN_RSA/NZ_RSA_T2_26-30DEC1994.html

"Young took 333 mins to get to his 50. Only Trevor "Barnacle" Bailey (357 mins in 1958-59) and Chris "Rowdy" Tavare (350 mins in 1982) have taken longer to get to the half century mark in a Test."

archie mac

International Coach
sirjeremy11 said:
It's funny how some really big scores end up being awful batting - great patience, but not great batting. Apparently Hanif Mohammed was the king. And this one from Bryan Young was certainly a classic...

http://www.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1994-95/NZ_IN_RSA/NZ_RSA_T2_26-30DEC1994.html

"Young took 333 mins to get to his 50. Only Trevor "Barnacle" Bailey (357 mins in 1958-59) and Chris "Rowdy" Tavare (350 mins in 1982) have taken longer to get to the half century mark in a Test."
I watched every ball of that Tavare innings, if looks could kill Dennis Lilled would have murdered him.

He batted the same way as myself so I always enjoyed stubborn batsman. :)

I carried my bat four times this year and my highest score has only been 32*:laugh: