• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's heard of Roy Gilchrist?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Goughy said:
I think most would know of Roy Gilchrist no matter what their age.
After reading this it's intregued me... and I don't mean our Pakistani forum-member who uses the name as his screenname... I mean the West Indian seamer who was something bordering on a disgrace to the game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
Anyone who is a student of the game will have heard of Roy Gilchrist.
I certainly am and I'd say there's a definate chance I'd have heard little about him if he were still alive.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
Wasn't he that West Indian nutcase that thought the beamer was a legitmate delivery, bounced people in charity games and skulled a guy with a stump during a game?

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Richard said:
After reading this it's intregued me... and I don't mean our Pakistani forum-member who uses the name as his screenname... I mean the West Indian seamer who was something bordering on a disgrace to the game.
Dude... Roy Gilchrist was an angry, angry man. Probably the most vicious quickie the World has ever known.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Autobahn said:
Wasn't he that West Indian nutcase that thought the beamer was a legitmate delivery, bounced people in charity games and skulled a guy with a stump during a game?
Yeah, sounds like him.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I have, but I guess thats no great surpise considering the other thread.

This is an interesting topic though. Im intregued by the level of cricketing historical knowledge possessed. Again I have high hopes.

I mean I would expect everyone to know about Gilchrist as well as Leary Constantine and the 3 Ws etc (as we're talking about WI).

Last edited:

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
He could've been a great bowler, but sadly he was too crazy. He played his last test when he was only about 25.

I think he died a few years ago.

archie mac

International Coach
I don't think he ever played against Aust. so that always limits my knowledge. I do remember him being sent home for bowling beamers?

I wonder if his nickname was also 'Gilly'?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
yep i've heard of him alot from my grandfather who is of west indian heritage who says he was extremely fast, was sent home from a tour to india in the late 1950's , used to have a run from the boundary at sabina park & was extremely ignorant fast bowler & man who beat his wife later in life.

Also mentions the interesting fact that if he could have gone to Australia during that famous 60-61 series he & Wes Hall could killed Australia. Good old gramps:cool:

Beleg

International Regular
Yup, heard of him. IIRC, he was sent away for bowling beamers against India, I think.
Wasn't he the one who once attacked his wife with a pressing iron?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
He almost killed a guy who's claim to fame was that he had the same name as me :laugh: :laugh:

Gilchrist was a super fast bowler who was more than a bit violent. Wanted to kill the batsman with his beamers if he was hit. Didn't think twice about chucking them. Some guy :unsure: :unsure:

When I was a kid at club cricket, I heard from my seniors that batsmen preferred to throw away their wickets in a hurry rather than face him. Some big names were thrown around along with those allegations.

His reputation was HUGE.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
chooka_nick said:
Dude... Roy Gilchrist was an angry, angry man. Probably the most vicious quickie the World has ever known.
A liberal might interject that he had an unhappy childhood.

As in "Guilty, M'lud, but society is to blame".