• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who's heard of Roy Gilchrist?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Swervy said:
I am sure I read somewhere he once bowled a ball that went for 6 byes
That story been used over the years for many bowlers to indicate how fast they were. I am not very sure if this actually happened with Gilchrist.

Swervy

International Captain
SJS said:
That story been used over the years for many bowlers to indicate how fast they were. I am not very sure if this actually happened with Gilchrist.
yeah...from cricinfos obit

'Gilchrist was a small man, with short legs and long arms, but generated tremendous pace. It is said that his first ball in Test cricket (against England at Edgbaston in 1957) bounced over the head of both batsman and 'keeper, and rebounded 30 yards onto the field from the sightscreen. Although this should be looked upon more as legend than fact (only 3 byes appear in the scorecard of that innings), there is little doubt that he was one of the fastest and most hostile bowlers of his generation.'

Swervy

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
There's no such thing.
?????

what do you mean..there is no provision in the laws of the game for this to happen...or that it just didnt happen to Roy G

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Swervy said:
?????

what do you mean..there is no provision in the laws of the game for this to happen...or that it just didnt happen to Roy G
Possibly that it couldn't happen. Making a ball bounce, then on that bounce travel 50+ meters would require quite a bit of pace. Or a rigged ball.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
?????

No provision in the laws of the game for 6 byes, 6 leg-byes or 6 wides.

The relevant bit...

(b) Unless agreed differently under (a) above, the allowances for boundaries shall be 6 runs if the ball having been struck by the bat pitches beyond the boundary, but otherwise 4 runs. These allowances shall still apply even though the ball has previously touched a fielder. See also (c) below.

(a), (b) and (c) don't relate to this situation, incidentally

Swervy

International Captain
luckyeddie said:

The relevant bit...

(b) Unless agreed differently under (a) above, the allowances for boundaries shall be 6 runs if the ball having been struck by the bat pitches beyond the boundary, but otherwise 4 runs. These allowances shall still apply even though the ball has previously touched a fielder. See also (c) below.

nice one...didnt know that!!!!!!

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:

The relevant bit...

Huh. Learn something new every day.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:

The relevant bit...

But this refers only to the ball HIT by the bat. The "otherwise 4 runs" refering to when the ball does not "pitch beyond the boundary".

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
SJS said:
But this refers only to the ball HIT by the bat. The "otherwise 4 runs" refering to when the ball does not "pitch beyond the boundary".
I asked David Constant 20 years ago - the explanation he gave basically is the same as the interpretation I just made.

In PL/1:

SELECT;
WHEN(STRUCK_BY_BATSMAN & PITCHED_OVER_ROPES)
RUNS = 6;
OTHER
RUNS = 4;
END; /* SELECT */

Seems clear to me

Otherwise means 'all other alternatives' - or they would have said 'else'.

Simple Boolean logic.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
I asked David Constant 20 years ago - the explanation he gave basically is the same as the interpretation I just made.

In PL/1:

SELECT;
WHEN(STRUCK_BY_BATSMAN & PITCHED_OVER_ROPES)
RUNS = 6;
OTHER
RUNS = 4;
END; /* SELECT */

Seems clear to me

Otherwise means 'all other alternatives' - or they would have said 'else'.

Simple Boolean logic.
Thats very intersting indeed.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
SJS said:
Thats very intersting indeed.
Don't get much of a chance to write programs any more.

Seriously, if they'd have meant that it was a general case that the ball carried over the boundary on the full would be six runs, whether byes, runs to the batsman, wides, no-balls or anything else, they wouldn't have needed to mention anything about the ball having struck the bat at all.

I think.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:

Seriously, if they'd have meant that it was a general case that the ball carried over the boundary on the full would be six runs, whether byes, runs to the batsman, wides, no-balls or anything else, they wouldn't have needed to mention anything about the ball having struck the bat at all.

I think.
People do tend to state the obvious, at times more than one, when writing the law. So I wouldnt be surprised.

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
luckyeddie said:

I think.
I played in a game once where the ball flicked the top of the batsman's pad and went over the boundary on the full. Sharp bowler but damn small boundaries. He was sharp but not that sharp.

We gave it 6 byes but found out later we were wrong.

I must say...that was the smallest straight boundary I've ever played on - was a temporary square while the ground was being developed.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:

I think.
Here is some confirmation.

Six
A six scored by hitting the ball over the boundary is signalled by the umpire raising both hands above his head, often in a celebratory manner. See BBC Sport. It must be emphasised that for a six to be scored the ball must come off the bat, so it is impossible to have six byes for a ball crossing the boundary (without there being overthrows).

Wikipedia

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
A judge to Roy Gilchrist said:
Your wife is a sympathetic woman, and more than you deserve. It is a pity that brutes are allowed to roam in society just because they are good at games.
Or words to that effect. This was after Gilchrist's wife vouched for him(?!) at his trial.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
superkingdave said:
played down the road from me for 20 years or so
Yes, he was devastating in League cricket. This old bloke who used to come into my Dad's pub many years ago used to tell plenty of stories about when he was umpiring up there (bloke called Haycroft - ex-Army Colonel).

He didn't like him one bit.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Goughy said:
I mean I would expect everyone to know about Gilchrist as well as Leary Constantine and the 3 Ws etc (as we're talking about WI).
I can't believe anyone would be anywhere near so familiar with him as the three Ws, nor Lord Constantine.