• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Kenya in Zimbabwe

Chubb

International Regular
What a prescient change of avatar!

New skipper has never played an ODI

Duffin to be named as Zimbabwe captain

Cricinfo staff

February 22, 2006

Zimbabwe are expected to name Terry Duffin as their new captain for the five ODIs against Kenya which get underway at Queens Sports Club in Bulawayo this Saturday.

The Zimbabwean team is in Harare where they are training under Kevin Curran, and the selectors are expected to name the final squad of between 15 and 16 players tomorrow morning. Curran confirmed Duffin's appointment, adding that "it does not matter that he has not played one-day international cricket."

Duffin, a 23-year-old solid opening batsman with an ability to build an innings, made his Test debut against India at Bulawayo in September last year and became the sixth Zimbabwean batsman to score a half century on debut. However, he has never played an ODI and his only meaningful experience of the limited-overs game came when he captained Zimbabwe A against Bangladesh A in five matches in March last year.

The move to appoint Duffin as captain is said to have angered some black players who feel that Zimbabwe Cricket used them, claiming that they had been promised the post following the resignation of Tatenda Taibu. One of these players who is understood to unhappy is medium-pace bowler Blessing Mahwire, who has 10 Test and seven one-day appearances to his name.

Allrounder Andy Blignaut, who was touted to take over the captaincy from Tatemda Taibu, is reportedly still in South Africa where he is playing franchise cricket for Highveld Lions on a deal was that was brokered by Zimbabwe Cricket. But, despite comments to the contrary by the board, he has made it clear that he is not willing to play until he is paid match fees for the New Zealand, India and Kenya tours in 2005.

Duffin's vice-captain will be Charles Coventry, a veteran of five ODIs which makes him one of the most experienced players in the likely squad. Kenya will be led by Steve Tikolo, who with 67 ODIs under his belt may well have played more games than the entire Zimbabwe squad combined.

© Cricinfo

Bit out of left field, this. Whilst it was likely Ham would be unavailable, I thought with Blignaut out it'd go to a black player. Terry is a bit like Javed Omar or Trevor Gripper (I promise you I put that in my sig before I read this!). He's a gritty batsman who's just a bit on the heavy side. I didn't expect him to be included in the squad because he scores very slowly but he has bags of concentration, so hopefully he'll do a good job. He's fat, he's round, it's Two Hundred Thousand Zimbucks to the pound...

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
Crikey, very interesting that they have picked a white captain (sorry to bring the race card into it again)

Shows that there is no inherent "racism" involved in the ZCU if you put up and shut up, well good luck to him, but he doesnt deserve this introduction to international cricket.. Nobody does

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
Crikey, very interesting that they have picked a white captain (sorry to bring the race card into it again)

Shows that there is no inherent "racism" involved in the ZCU if you put up and shut up, well good luck to him, but he doesnt deserve this introduction to international cricket.. Nobody does
I think ZC know that people are watching, so they pick as many white people in the team as they can. It's like they want people to see that everything is a okay. Rubbish. Hope they lose 5-0 and get expelled from international cricket.

Langeveldt

Soutie
sirjeremy11 said:
I think ZC know that people are watching, so they pick as many white people in the team as they can. It's like they want people to see that everything is a okay. Rubbish. Hope they lose 5-0 and get expelled from international cricket.
I hope they win 5-0 and corruption gets overthrown in Zimbabwe.. Pigs might fly too..

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
i said don't be silly

Anyway, we need someone we are capable of beating..
Well then, why don't you have an all Africa tri series vs Zim and Kenya. What a series. Wonder who would win?

You could even add Uganda and Namibia.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
12 months ago that comment would've been:

"And England might win the Ashes"
TBH, I think that if England play really well (again), and the Aussies are not at their peak, get a few injuries PLUS have Vaughn reprise his form of the last tour there, you never know...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
sirjeremy11 said:
TBH, I think that if England play really well (again), and the Aussies are not at their peak, get a few injuries PLUS have Vaughn reprise his form of the last tour there, you never know...
For 'Aussies at their peak' read 'Warne and McGrath at their peak'.

There appears to be precious little else at the bowling well at the moment (apart from Lee, who I rate very highly), but as someone a lot wiser than me said (oh no, that was you.... ;)), a year is a long time in cricket. As far as the batting is concerned, well, a few were scared stiff on slow pitches in 2005.

Not sure how I got on to this in a Kenya v Mugabe thread.

Chubb

International Regular
Zimbabwe Squad:

Terrence Duffin (capt),
Elton Chigumbura,
Keith Dabengwa,
Ryan Higgins,
Anthony Ireland,
Blessing Mahwire,
Hamilton Masakadza,
Keegan Meth,
Waddington Mwayenga,
Edward Rainsford,
Piet Rinke,
Gregory Strydom,
Brendan Taylor,
Prosper Utseya.
Charles Coventry

Seems I was right about Meth being a replacement Blignaut but Piet Rinke is a surprise; a medium-pacer who bats a bit, like Anthony Ireland. I probably should have guessed that Higgins might be given a go after a good World Cup but I doubt he'll play unless something happens to Dabengwa or Prosper. Hamilton has made himself available for the tour but didn't sign a contract (racial double standard there too) so won't be made captain. Sean Williams apparently didn't sign the contract, and I don't know what's happened to de Grandhomme. Ewing, Hondo and Panyangara are injured. Mpofu has been dropped and Mupariwa just hasn't been picked; maybe Rinke's batting made him a better choice.

Chubb

International Regular
One of the old guard, the excellent left-armer Bryan Strang, on his new passions, perhaps pointing a way for whites in Zimbabwe:

'You can't give up on the children'

Cricinfo staff

February 24, 2006

Bryan Strang, Zimbabwe's former medium-fast bowler, has found new passion in the children of his troubled African homeland.

Strang, 33, thought he had bounced back into Test cricket when he was recalled for a training squad ahead of the New Zealand and India tours to Zimbabwe last year. But he was later informed by Zimbabwe Cricket that he services were no longer required. "They told me that I was too old, and I laughed at them," explained Strang. "You can't be too old. You've got to look at my stats, I was bowling well in club cricket and I helped the A side won games against Pakistan A last year."

At the time he was picked for the training squad, Strang was working as a teacher at the Lilfordia Primary School in Harare. Lilfordia is a private school run by the family of Alistair Campbell, the former Zimbabwe captain.

"I think you can't give up on giving children an opportunity to play cricket," Strang said. "You teach them how to play, and later on when they get disappointed with the system, you take it from there. I'm disappointed because the people in charge of Zimbabwe cricket do not look to the children more, and the opportunity that sports create for everyone.

"You can't give up on this great future. The administration need to start caring about children's future, and also the future of everyone, who if cricket was there, would have a job."

Currently, Strang, who is recovering from a fractured arm after he punched and broke a window, is now employed as a coach at Harare's St George's College, one of Zimbabwe's top cricket nurseries which has produced players like Andy and Grant Flower, Brian Murphy, Trevor Gripper and Brendan Taylor.

"The talent is unbelievable," he said. "I love coaching. Cricket is my passion. I will never give up on Zimbabwe cricket. Administrators will change. No one is bigger than the game." As well as coaching at St George's, Strang has also opened his own business "basically on teaching life skills and how to achieve your goals."

Strang, who made his ODI and Test debuts for Zimbabwe in 1994-5 against Pakistan, played 26 Tests, taking 56 wickets at an average of 39.34. His older brother, legspinner Paul, was one of the senior players who left Zimbabwe cricket in frustration as crisis in ZC flared up.

Bryan has also proposed starting a coaching school at his club, Old Hararians Sports Club. "The thing is you have to remain positive. I'm trying to put back what I got from cricket. I want to give something back."

© Cricinfo

With people like Strang still committed, perhaps on the extremely unlikely chance that Zanu are gotten rid of and the ICC grows a spine, Zimbabwe still have a future in the game.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Chubb said:
Currently, Strang, who is recovering from a fractured arm after he punched and broke a window, is now employed as a coach at Harare's St George's College, one of Zimbabwe's top cricket nurseries which has produced players like Andy and Grant Flower, Brian Murphy, Trevor Gripper and Brendan Taylor.
The mind boggles...