Page 47 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast
Results 691 to 705 of 2076
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Cricket Books

  1. #691
    International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,683
    Looks like one for me. Thanks.
    Cheers,
    Rodney Ulyate

  2. #692
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,727
    Quote Originally Posted by neville cardus View Post
    Looks like one for me. Thanks.
    Where have you been?
    You know it makes sense.

  3. #693
    International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,683
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    Where have you been?
    Raiding the book stores of Amanzimtoti:

    Mailey: 10 for 66 and all that
    Fingo: Cricket Crisis
    Mike Denness: I Declare
    Ken Piesse: The Ashes
    John St John (ed.): The M.C.C. Book for the Young Cricketer
    Ray Robinson: Between Wickets
    Edward Griffiths: Kepler: The Biography
    Arthur Goldman: Cricket Capers
    Dolly: The D'Oliveira Affair
    Matthew Engel (ed.): Wisden Cricketers' Almanack 1995
    Leslie Frewin (ed.): The Boundary Book: Second Innings
    Maurice Moiseiwitsch: A Sky-Blue Life
    Roy McLean: Sackcloth Without Ashes
    Peter May's Book of Cricket
    Norman Cutler: Behind the South African Tests
    Jackie McGlew: Cricket for South Africa
    Various Hustler and Playboy magazines

  4. #694
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,727
    Quote Originally Posted by neville cardus View Post
    Raiding the book stores of Amanzimtoti:

    Mailey: 10 for 66 and all that
    Fingo: Cricket Crisis
    Mike Denness: I Declare
    Ken Piesse: The Ashes
    John St John (ed.): The M.C.C. Book for the Young Cricketer
    Ray Robinson: Between Wickets
    Edward Griffiths: Kepler: The Biography
    Arthur Goldman: Cricket Capers
    Dolly: The D'Oliveira Affair
    Matthew Engel (ed.): Wisden Cricketers' Almanack 1995
    Leslie Frewin (ed.): The Boundary Book: Second Innings
    Maurice Moiseiwitsch: A Sky-Blue Life
    Roy McLean: Sackcloth Without Ashes
    Peter May's Book of Cricket
    Norman Cutler: Behind the South African Tests
    Jackie McGlew: Cricket for South Africa
    Various Hustler and Playboy magazines
    The last ones just for the articles?


  5. #695
    International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,683
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    The last ones just for the articles?
    Naturally.

    I forgot to mention John Clarke's Cricket with a Swing and Tom Eaton's delightfully capricious but too often over-the-top Twelve Seats Back. Which of that lot would you suggest I embark upon once I'm done with Mailey?

  6. #696
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,727
    The Boundary Book is a little hit and miss, but has some very good pieces

  7. #697
    International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,683
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    The Boundary Book is a little hit and miss, but has some very good pieces
    I read both of the Harry East contributions -- delightful as ever --, but you're right: it does appear a touch haphazard. What, for the record, is your favourite anthology?

    PS: The Mail Delivery Service has just informed me that your mailbox is full, so my similarly haphazard message of politics and gratitude probably didn't reach you.

  8. #698
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,727
    Quote Originally Posted by neville cardus View Post
    I read both of the Harry East contributions -- delightful as ever --, but you're right: it does appear a touch haphazard. What, for the record, is your favourite anthology?

    PS: The Mail Delivery Service has just informed me that your mailbox is full, so my similarly haphazard message of politics and gratitude probably didn't reach you.
    Not sure why it is full, have not got any messages for three days now

    I quite like this one:Crickets silver lining 1864-1914

    Did you get the scan by Mailey I sent you?

  9. #699
    International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,683
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    [...]I quite like this one:Crickets silver lining 1864-1914
    I particularly enjoyed the Shakespearean adaptation.

    Did you get the scan by Mailey I sent you?
    I did indeed. My message of thanks for it was the one that didn't get through. Anyway, thanks!

  10. #700
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,727
    Anyway we have a new member of the book review team; Stuart.

    Stuart is not a member of the forum but you never know he may come over for a visit, he knows his stuff and as review quite a few classic books for us already

    Cradle Days

    The Summer Game

    Bodyline Autopsy

    Beyond a Boundary

    The Best of The Best

  11. #701
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,426
    Funny, I just referred to The Best of The Best in the "should batsmen get extra rewards" thread, and was thinking its easily one of the most interesting books, cricket or otherwise, I've ever read. I think it might be my best all time lucky find (I had no idea what it was when I found it in a second hand bookstore, just bought it because it was an old ABC cricket book).
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

    Is Cam White, Is Good.

  12. #702
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Funny, I just referred to The Best of The Best in the "should batsmen get extra rewards" thread, and was thinking its easily one of the most interesting books, cricket or otherwise, I've ever read. I think it might be my best all time lucky find (I had no idea what it was when I found it in a second hand bookstore, just bought it because it was an old ABC cricket book).
    Yes a very good read, I remember where he said where are all of the 4 hundred hitters gone? I wonder if the same thing applies to cricket?

  13. #703
    School Boy/Girl Captain Dave Gregory's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Armidale
    Posts
    102
    Hi all,

    I'll post under the username of Dave Gregory - seems appropriate enough and 'Stuart' has already been taken. I'll continue to mainly post over at my usual haunt, however, I will have a wander through here as well.

    Cheers,

    Stuart

  14. #704
    International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,683
    Good to have you on board.

  15. #705
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,727
    Quote Originally Posted by neville cardus View Post
    Good to have you on board.
    Yes welcome mate

Page 47 of 139 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Next Indian Coach
    By shoot_me in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 23-05-2007, 02:37 AM
  2. Cricket and Baseball
    By Stefano in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 26-03-2007, 07:05 AM
  3. Cricket v/s Baseball
    By chekmeout in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 26-07-2005, 04:56 PM
  4. Windies cricket situation
    By Pratters in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-05-2005, 10:43 PM
  5. The Twenty20 Cup in England
    By PY in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: 22-07-2003, 03:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •