• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

neville cardus

International Debutant
he reappeared in print again in 2006 with that book on the 1882/83 tour just to remind us what a good writer he is
I am given to understand that, probably owing to Berry's necessary habituation to Nineteenth-Century sources, the prose of Cricket's Burning Passion is somewhat lacking in vim. You disagree?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh I enjoyed the book – its all very well wading through contemporary accounts of these Victorian tours but it’s also good sometimes to let someone else do the work and reconstruct it for you. The book deals fully with the controversies, especially the ill feeling generated by Spofforth and others in ripping up the wicket with their spikes and the “new” material is interesting if not sensational. The romantic bit of the story might be seen by some to be a tad pretentious and as a whole the account is rather more in the style of Alan Ross than Jack Fingleton so while whoever said it “lacks vim” has a point I don’t think that detracts from the enjoyment the book gives – Wisden summed it up rather nicely in just one word – engaging.

And I see Archie enjoyed it too

neville cardus

International Debutant
Oh I enjoyed the book – its all very well wading through contemporary accounts of these Victorian tours
You do that, too? If you want, I could email you a few of the gems that I have picked up over the past couple of months.

but it’s also good sometimes to let someone else do the work and reconstruct it for you. The book deals fully with the controversies, especially the ill feeling generated by Spofforth and others in ripping up the wicket with their spikes
As Spofforth pointed out (rather forcibly in the case of Dick Barlow), he was not wearing spikes. But his heels were decidedly high.

and the “new” material is interesting if not sensational. The romantic bit of the story might be seen by some to be a tad pretentious and as a whole the account is rather more in the style of Alan Ross than Jack Fingleton so while whoever said it “lacks vim” has a point I don’t think that detracts from the enjoyment the book gives – Wisden summed it up rather nicely in just one word – engaging.
And I see Archie enjoyed it too
Several points in its favour right there. I am yet to find poor a tome recommended me by Ranji's estimable secretary.

fredfertang

You do that, too? If you want, I could email you a few of the gems that I have picked up over the past couple of months.
A kind offer - my username at hotmail dot com should see it arrive

fredfertang

But who/what is Voltman guys? - you are giving me the impression he is some sort of marauding cyberbully

pasag

RTDAS
The old man picked up this for me at a second book store, which was very nice of him:

Has some very nice images, although colour photography has clearly come a long way.