• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

neville cardus

International Debutant
I think CricketWeb should make an approach to this guy, even if it's just about cross-posting his stuff (in the way The Guardian does with a few of the better sports blogs). It's is excellent, and right up our alley.

Marius

International Debutant
Bought Empire, War, and Cricket by Dean Allen, and attended a lecture he gave last night.

Cricket isn't the primary focus of the book, but rather about James Logan, a Scottish immigrant to South Africa, and how he used cricket to get in with the establishment. Lecture was great and the book looks very interesting, and has some really good photos.

Being published by Random House Penguin so should be quite easy to get hold of overseas.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Intrigued by this reference in the inaugural issue of everyone's favourite cricket magazine: "Rob Steen [...] edited The New Ball, forerunner to The Nightwatchman." Anyone heard of The New Ball before? Seems to be ungoogleable.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Same sort of idea except it was a book rather than a journal - ran to seven volumes in the late nineties and early noughties

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Can any one help me locate a copy of Cricket Cigarette and Trade Cards, by D. Deadman, preferably the revised later one. Thanks.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Do any of you live in Surrey, preferably near Guildford? I have a hunch that there's something in the local record office of great significance to our understanding of the early history of cricket. (I'd elaborate, but it would take a while, and I'm operating on the assumption that the mystique is appealing.)

neville cardus

International Debutant
Actually, I'd love to hear from anyone who lives in the UK, and wouldn't mind having posted to them two pages' worth of photocopied material from that office, and then telling me what they say. (I'd have them sent to me, but I've learnt the hard way not to trust my country's postal service.)

neville cardus

International Debutant
Interesting things happen when Amazon messes up:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Light-Mind-Joyce-Passmore/dp/0954977254/?tag=hitsboo-20

According to that page, The Light in My Mind, a spiritualist self-help book by someone called Joyce Passmore, carries the following endorsement:

"A thought-provoking glimpse into an aspect of the past that must never be forgotten ... this is one that should not be missed." -- Martin Chandler, CricketWeb​

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Do any of you live in Surrey, preferably near Guildford? I have a hunch that there's something in the local record office of great significance to our understanding of the early history of cricket. (I'd elaborate, but it would take a while, and I'm operating on the assumption that the mystique is appealing.)
Did you ever get a reply to this?

neville cardus

International Debutant
Anyone know if Hugh Tayfield left us any writing? Jim Laker complains in Over to Me of his work as a correspondent for an unnamed newspaper, but I've not yet been able to track it down.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not that I'm aware of Rodney - Padwick refers to The South Afriacn Cricketer, one edition of which appeared in 1959 and that was it till the 70s, so that would have been out before Over to me was published, but that apart you'll have to go to your newspaper archives

neville cardus

International Debutant
Not that I'm aware of Rodney - Padwick refers to The South Afriacn Cricketer, one edition of which appeared in 1959 and that was it till the 70s, so that would have been out before Over to me was published
I doubt it's that one. Rob Steen tells us here that he covered the 1958/59 Ashes series. But he doesn't say for whom. The NLA archive suggests that it wasn't an Australian paper, and the standard British archives turn up nothing either.

Bizarre, really, how little we know about him. I can't even find evidence that Tayfield ever gave an interview. He's arguably the most ungoogleable of Woodcock's 100. The only extensive feature on him I've ever read was by Charles Fortune, published about thirty years back.