• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

neville cardus

International Debutant
This week Archie reviews "The Strangers Who Came Home" - the good people at Bloomsbury have made three copies of the book available to CW readers so we have come up with a devilishly tricky question for you to answer

Name the titles and authors of three books published by the Bloomsbury group that have been reviewed on CW?

All correct entries will go into a draw for the three prizes

Entries to info@cricketweb.net
There's more than three -- I count six at least -- so presumably you mean "any three"?

Im off to statsguru
Not sure what good that'll do you.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Cool, cool. I shan't enter myself. (I'm unofficially a member of the review team here, so that would be unseemly, and anyway I have a copy already.) But I suppose I were to give a helping hand to an eager correspondent: Would that be okay?

archie mac

International Coach
Cool, cool. I shan't enter myself. (I'm unofficially a member of the review team here, so that would be unseemly, and anyway I have a copy already.) But I suppose I were to give a helping hand to an eager correspondent: Would that be okay?
The more the merrier. The publishers are keen to have some non Aussies and Poms amongst the winners

neville cardus

International Debutant
Posted this as a separate thread, but I suspect the most sympathetic ears are to be found on this one. I repeat myself, then:

Old news now, but new to me, and apparently it hasn't yet been mentioned here: Roald Bradstock, the veteran Olympian, has broken Robert Percival's disputed century-old record.

I'd love to see a few of our big-name moderns have a go. As this is probably the only aspect of the game in which accurate inter-generational comparisons may be made, and as we cricket tragics are notorious for our delight in such comparisons, methinks it's high time an international ball-chucking event were thrown together. The present World Cup provides a near-perfect opportunity. So let's make this happen, as a matter of urgency, in the only way one makes anything happen nowadays: Let's start a social-media campaign.

Hashtag, anyone?​

neville cardus

International Debutant
I'm going to be terribly imaginative and kick things off with #throwthatball. If you have as much time on your hands as most CricketWeb users appear to have, or even if you don't, please go mad with it.

P'rhaps we could put a feature up on the main page and, if it works, make this website famous?

Rodney

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
This week Archie reviews "The Strangers Who Came Home" - the good people at Bloomsbury have made three copies of the book available to CW readers so we have come up with a devilishly tricky question for you to answer

Name the titles and authors of three books published by the Bloomsbury group that have been reviewed on CW?

All correct entries will go into a draw for the three prizes

Entries to info@cricketweb.net
Received my copy of this yesterday and ploughed thru the first couple of chapters last night. Love a cricket book that meshes cricket history with social history. Fantastic descriptions of the voyage the team took from Aus to San Fran and then on the transcontinental railway thru the wild west of America to NY and then on to England.

Well written and informative, recommended.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Oh dear. Completely forgot about my own promised effort:

View attachment Hundred 100s review.docx

Forgivable, I suppose, when we remember that it's the first book I've reviewed for CricketWeb which features no badly-written ***.

I'd do the Berita thing myself, but it no longer accepts my log-in details. If there's another way of uploading this piece, do lemme know, because I want to get the ambitious formatting right.

Rodney

PS: I seem to recall something about a move to Shtyle.fm?

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Finished reading The Archie Jackson story. Was a terrific read. I would have liked a bit more personal stories. There was far too much of one inning description after the next. It is a mighty effort to compile even this book given the briefness of every thing surrounding Jackson.

Last edited:

Midwinter

State Captain
Finished reading The Archie Jackson story. Was a terrific read. I would have liked a bit more personal stories. There was far too much of one inning description after the next. It is a mighty effort to compile even this book given the briefness of every thing surrounding Jackson.
Did that have the story about the towel in it ?

I read about it once but haven't been able to find it since.
Thanks

Last edited:

Midwinter

State Captain
What towel story are you referring to?
There is a story about Jackson borrowing a towel from a fellow player, and then later giving the player a new one, in its packaging in return, saying the players' towel had somehow got lost.
The player's mum went off crook saying the new towel wasn't the same quality as the one lent to Jackson.

Some time later the player learnt of Jackson's TB.

I haven't been able to find the story again so I don't know its authenticity, but it brought a tear to the eye.

Tooj

Cricket Spectator
The last cricketing biographic that I read was Robert Low's one about WG. Not much that I didn't already know, but the level of detail and research that went into it was fantastic. Feel like any lover of our great game needs to have at read at least one book about WG.

On a theme of cricket I'm actually currently reading Cycling To The Ashes by Oli Broom. Really enjoying it so far; in particular reading about the cricket enthusiasts that he has met along the way in the likes of Serbia/Austria etc.