• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Cricket Gear Thread

Dydl

International Debutant
For batting I've got a Kookaburra Diablo bat, Kookaburra Diablo pads and gloves, a Slazenger thigh-pad, Gray Nicolls batting inners and a Kookaburra helmet...

For 'keeping I've got Kookaburra wicket-keeping gloves, (they're my new ones..) Gray Nicolls wicket-keeping gloves, (they don't fit any more..) Puma wicket-keeping inners and Kookaburra wicket-keeping pads...

They're all fairly new, so I won't be replacing them for a while...

howardj

International Coach
Top_Cat said:
If it protects your scone better, who gives a crap how they look?
What? You don't care if you look like you're wearing a space-ship on your melon?:laugh: C'mon, they're shockin'.

Langeveldt

Soutie
howardj said:
What? You don't care if you look like you're wearing a space-ship on your melon?:laugh: C'mon, they're shockin'.
Nah they arent that bad, the new albion helmets, its the new Gray Nicholls and GM style helmets (with all the slits in them) that look really shocking..

open365

International Vice-Captain
Jungle Jumbo said:
I'm thinking of getting one of these, probably the 'keeps-you-cool' type. Anyone got one, is it worth getting?
!!!!

I've been looking for one of theese for ages!I must have checked that site out 3 times and never found anthing!!

I'm gonna annoy my dad into getting me one hopefully,in exchange for not getting any pocket money over the last 2 years.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
vic_orthdox said:
County in England is actually Hunts, or "Hunts County". County in Australia is Gray-Nics. That's why Warne uses Gray-Nics stuff when he plays English Domestic Cricket.
I thought it was just a case of Hunts County buying out G-N, rather than them being one company using different names?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Neil Pickup said:
I've just ordered my first helmet, parents have insisted following the top-edge incident...

Aye, I got one of those except the foamy plastic bit is blue. Worryingly I've still not got a box yet - but I've only been playing indoors and there's only one guy I've faced who manages to bounce the ball high enough to cause some serious pain - so I don't get into line much against him.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Anyone used the CA 10000? The bat Inzy promotes.

Its a real beauty. My mate bought it recently, and I've used it in my last two knocks, 21no and 27no :cool: The middle is beautiful with a large sweetspot. Definitely recommended.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Right arm fast said:
www.skins.com.au is what ive got really good keeps you cool and warm but also redeuces lactic acid and muscle fatigue
Yeah, they're the big thing at the moment.

Someone was telling me that in England they're selling a "Bouncer Vest" - a vest with a chest pad sown into it. How English of you all... :p

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Bump.
Cricket season's a 'comin and I need a new bat. I was looking at the GM Purist, anyone got one?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
People is keen on the use of the ole spades for threads of their own at present... if it's not Xavier, it's Adil...

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I ordered a pair of Adidas 22yds Lite the other day, they should arrive in the next week or so. Also some Kookaburra batting shorts after realising that an inability to play off the hip may result in a numb thigh now that I'm out of junior cricket.

howardj

International Coach
Bought some new gear last week, and is there anythin that beats the smell of new gear? It just smells so....new and tops!

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Bats

Using a MRF Blazer now and I sold my friend my old MRF Genius for $50. I seriously think that I had the first MRF in Australia. My mum bought 'this' bat and I went 'eh' and then I saw Tendulkar and Waugh using it - then everyone jumped on the bandwagon. Also, the Blzaer has 3 grips, just the way I like it.

Gloves

I got a pair of gloves that Dravid (SS with the extra black protection on the two fore fingers)uses (or he did) and a pair that Sehwag uses (SS). Nice quality gloves they are.

Do any Indians here find that the spacing between the leather and the padding extremely tight? Australian gloves are quite expandable, but when I went to India, they were so narrow - the BAS, SS, BDM. There were only some gloves (including mine) that felt reasonable. Even a lot of the 1000+ rupee gloves were tight.

I also have another pair of SS's which I took the thumb protection off - this was done after I think Shane Warne broke his thumb in that way.

Anyone know where I can purchase Steve Waugh white gloves?

Pads

SG, I think it is the grade below international.

Helmet

SG. I think I might wear it this season.

Shoes

Those black pumas.

No. I'm not rich, but the exchange rate from Austrlian dollars to Indian ruppees is a cricketers dream.

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
Thanks, I wouldn't of sold the Genius for $50 to anyone else besides my friend. I'm 18 and have known him 14 years.

But here is a gear story that might interest you and I'm still indifferent.

I'm still unsure whehter MRF is a cricketing brand. When I went to India in 2003 or 2004, I wanted to get another MRF. So I was shopping with a friend and I asked about MRFs. This guy is keen on cricket and he knows his stuff. He tells me that MRF just purhcases bats and places stickets on them - he said that MRFs were just BASs.

Now look at Tendulkar. His gloves and pads are BAS.

Thing is, MRF stands for Madras rubber factory. If you are akin to Indian cricket, you may have seen Honda Hero and Britannia stickets on Dravid and co bats. Honda, no explanation needed, Britannia is a biscuit company. So a lot of Indian cricketers have their major sponsors being not cricket ones.

But, where I get confused is that Cricket Australia have a limit on how much non-cricket advertising you can have on a bat. It's really small and usually placed at the apex of the 'meat.' You'll see Hayden and Symo with Ford and Gilly with Caltex. But Steve Waugh had MRF stickets the same size as Tendulkar.

So...is MRF a legitimate cricket brand? I assume so.

Also in regards to the small non-cricket sponsor stickers. I remember maybe about 4-5 years ago I saw English players raising there bats the wrong way (or non-traditional way). Sorry if I'm being CPT. Obvious here, but that is just a way to please both sponsors. Eg. Flintoff/KP, the back of the bat has more stickers and also there personal sponsor.