cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cricket's best media people

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar

Cricket's best media people

After seeing the Bob Willis thread,i thought it was time to pay tribute to broadcasters who have really improved cricket on TV.

Best Media people
    1.Richie Benaud-CommentatorWhat else can you say about Richie that hasn't been said?He's a living legend. He had his last half hour of commentary for channel four appalauded by the rest of the cast and Shane Warne took time at the end of the day to go and congradulate him for years of fantastic commentary.What more could you ask for in a commentator?

2.Simon Hughes-'the analystIf i could name the one most important thing that made channel 4 better than sky it has to be 'the analyst'.Watching as a child,it really helped me understand the laws of the game and was allways a bright spot in between sometimes dire passages of play,typified by the constant presence of a replica ashes urn on his table during broacasting.

3.Geoff Boycott-the annoying oneOne of the most forthright people your ever likely to come accros,there is a story i remember from a book or someone that typifiys his personality;
    After his team mates cheering him for getting run-out, Goeff asked some guy in a bar(can't remember who) 'Why do people allways take an instant disliking to me?' to which the guy replied 'It saves time Geoffery'

His brash nature may annoy osme,but i've allways found him the best to listen to because he never shys away from his true opinion,if he thinks Giles is crap(which he does) he'll say it.

4.David Loyd-BumbleEccentricity personified. Once while playing for England and after being bowled out cheaply,David grabbed a fellow player(can't remeber who) and forced him to the nearest net saying he'd found the secret of cricket.Perplexed,the player followed,' David,what do you mean 'the secret of cricket'?' he asked, 'The reverse sweep' replied bumble. Bemused,the player reluctantly gave a couple of throw downs to a bat-weilding Loyd for him to reverse sweep.
    First ball,He overbalances and is bowled leg(off??)stump.'Don't worry' he says and gets back into his stance.
    Second ball,he plays on. 'Nevermind,just one more go' continues the ever jovial bumble.
    Third ball,he is again bowled. 'Ohh sod it' he says,and stomps back of to the changing rooms.
    He's the best commentator for non-cricket related matters,his stories off incidents abroad are sadly cut down by the editors but are fantastic when told.

5.Mark Nicolas-The over-excitable one
    I know most people think he's the worst commentator ever,but i can't think of anything that re-kindles memories of past games than Mark Nicolas descibing a 6.

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by open365

5.Mark Nicolas-The over-excitable one
    I know most people think he's the worst commentator ever,but i can't think of anything that re-kindles memories of past games than Mark Nicolas descibing a 6.
    Excellent post till you mentioned Nicholas.

He doesnt rekindle any memories of past games though I understand what you mean having seend highlights of past games. The guy just wants me to break my tv.

I hope we get perspectives of people on media people they have enjoyed over the years and still do. Maybe views on guys like Arlott from those who have heard him..

State Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    Excellent post till you mentioned Nicholas.

He doesnt rekindle any memories of past games though I understand what you mean having seend highlights of past games. The guy just wants me to break my tv.

I hope we get perspectives of people on media people they have enjoyed over the years and still do. Maybe views on guys like Arlott from those who have heard him..
    95% of Nicholas' commentary screams "turn the volume off", but he has no equals in commentating on spin bowling. I don't think it's going too far to suggest that English spin bowling would be in a far better state today if Nicholas was captain of every county side.

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    What do people find so terrible about Nicolas' comentary?

On the radio side I think McGilvray from Aust helped me to understand that cricket is the greatest of all games. I also enjoy listening to, and reading Blowers. Skull just cracks me up

In print Gideon Haigh and David Frith are great book writers, and I also enjoy reading Mr Roebuck in the paper.

On the box, Mr Benaud by the lenght of the straight, although I always enjoy Ian Chappell and Boycs (though we don't see him that much in OZ) And I don't mind Atherton.
    You know it makes sense.

Chappelli rules, he's the man. Slats is also becoming one of the best going around.

In regards to Nicholas, its the fact that he tries to make every single thing he is commentating be the most important and greatest moment in cricket which irritates many people. He's all fluff with no substance.
    Last edited by Jono; 23-12-2005 at 03:14 PM.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Jonathan Agnew definetly deserves a mention

Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by open365
    What do people find so terrible about Nicolas' comentary?
    He's what is known in the trade as an 'attention whore'.

Incidentally one of the best studio pundits, always ready with a meaningful quip or two and who is being groomed for future commentary 'stardom', is Corky.
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    In print Gideon Haigh...
    Damn right, but I recon Roebuck's a ****. It's all personal preference, of course.
    And I also love Roland Perry. His book on Keith Miller is fantasic, almost as good as Haigh's on John Iverson.
    CricketWeb Colts - Twybridge Titans

Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    In print Gideon Haigh and David Frith are great book writers
    Totally agree. The top two currently for me. Haigh's column in The Guardian was never less than top value either. Both are Anglo-Aussies, coincidence or something else...?

In newspapers I really rate Mike Selvey & David Hopps. As telly goes Simon Hughes as "the analyst" is pretty ok too. Here's hoping some channel picks him up now 4 has lost the coverage over here.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"There is presumably such a thing as a good second-ball duck. This was not one of them." - Barney Ronay on James Vince's innings v. Australia

Best: Michael Slater; Malcolm Conn; Robert Craddock; Peter Roebuck; Ian Healy. (all offer fresh ANALYSIS -as distinct from boring description- and are not afraid to criticise players).

Worst: Bill Lawry; Richie Benaud; Ian Botham.

International Captain masterblaster's Avatar
    Netblazer3D Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Slats is also becoming one of the best going around.
    Damn right. Slats is awesome!

I like Sanjay Manjrekar also on the microphone, I think he's come leaps and bounds.
    Self Elected Vice-President of AAAS
    (Ajit Agarkar Appreciation Society)

"Uniting Ajit Agarkar Fans World Wide"

Always Live Life With: Intensity, Integrity and Intelligence

Steve Murphy deserves a mention in all this
    penis

Dream XI: M Hyder, J Linker, M Clock, S Wetsin, A Simms, A Golcrhist, B Hugg, S Worde, B Leap, J Giuseppe, G MacGrith

Quote Originally Posted by howardj
    Worst: Bill Lawry; Richie Benaud; Ian Botham.
    “If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.” - Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Sudeep
    Benaud - he's too occupied with making smart little comments and trying to be witty. I liked him when he was naturally witty, but now he just tries to force it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information