• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket's best media people

open365

International Vice-Captain
After seeing the Bob Willis thread,i thought it was time to pay tribute to broadcasters who have really improved cricket on TV.

Best Media people
1.Richie Benaud-CommentatorWhat else can you say about Richie that hasn't been said?He's a living legend. He had his last half hour of commentary for channel four appalauded by the rest of the cast and Shane Warne took time at the end of the day to go and congradulate him for years of fantastic commentary.What more could you ask for in a commentator?

2.Simon Hughes-'the analystIf i could name the one most important thing that made channel 4 better than sky it has to be 'the analyst'.Watching as a child,it really helped me understand the laws of the game and was allways a bright spot in between sometimes dire passages of play,typified by the constant presence of a replica ashes urn on his table during broacasting.

3.Geoff Boycott-the annoying oneOne of the most forthright people your ever likely to come accros,there is a story i remember from a book or someone that typifiys his personality;
After his team mates cheering him for getting run-out, Goeff asked some guy in a bar(can't remember who) 'Why do people allways take an instant disliking to me?' to which the guy replied 'It saves time Geoffery'

His brash nature may annoy osme,but i've allways found him the best to listen to because he never shys away from his true opinion,if he thinks Giles is crap(which he does) he'll say it.

4.David Loyd-BumbleEccentricity personified. Once while playing for England and after being bowled out cheaply,David grabbed a fellow player(can't remeber who) and forced him to the nearest net saying he'd found the secret of cricket.Perplexed,the player followed,' David,what do you mean 'the secret of cricket'?' he asked, 'The reverse sweep' replied bumble. Bemused,the player reluctantly gave a couple of throw downs to a bat-weilding Loyd for him to reverse sweep.
First ball,He overbalances and is bowled leg(off??)stump.'Don't worry' he says and gets back into his stance.
Second ball,he plays on. 'Nevermind,just one more go' continues the ever jovial bumble.
Third ball,he is again bowled. 'Ohh sod it' he says,and stomps back of to the changing rooms.
He's the best commentator for non-cricket related matters,his stories off incidents abroad are sadly cut down by the editors but are fantastic when told.

5.Mark Nicolas-The over-excitable one
I know most people think he's the worst commentator ever,but i can't think of anything that re-kindles memories of past games than Mark Nicolas descibing a 6.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
open365 said:
5.Mark Nicolas-The over-excitable one
I know most people think he's the worst commentator ever,but i can't think of anything that re-kindles memories of past games than Mark Nicolas descibing a 6.
Excellent post till you mentioned Nicholas. :D

He doesnt rekindle any memories of past games though I understand what you mean having seend highlights of past games. The guy just wants me to break my tv.

I hope we get perspectives of people on media people they have enjoyed over the years and still do. Maybe views on guys like Arlott from those who have heard him..

greg

International Debutant
Pratyush said:
Excellent post till you mentioned Nicholas. :D

He doesnt rekindle any memories of past games though I understand what you mean having seend highlights of past games. The guy just wants me to break my tv.

I hope we get perspectives of people on media people they have enjoyed over the years and still do. Maybe views on guys like Arlott from those who have heard him..
95% of Nicholas' commentary screams "turn the volume off", but he has no equals in commentating on spin bowling. I don't think it's going too far to suggest that English spin bowling would be in a far better state today if Nicholas was captain of every county side.

archie mac

International Coach
On the radio side I think McGilvray from Aust helped me to understand that cricket is the greatest of all games. I also enjoy listening to, and reading Blowers. Skull just cracks me up :D

In print Gideon Haigh and David Frith are great book writers, and I also enjoy reading Mr Roebuck in the paper.

On the box, Mr Benaud by the lenght of the straight, although I always enjoy Ian Chappell and Boycs (though we don't see him that much in OZ) And I don't mind Atherton.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Chappelli rules, he's the man. Slats is also becoming one of the best going around.

In regards to Nicholas, its the fact that he tries to make every single thing he is commentating be the most important and greatest moment in cricket which irritates many people. He's all fluff with no substance.

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
open365 said:
What do people find so terrible about Nicolas' comentary? :huh:
He's what is known in the trade as an 'attention whore'.

Incidentally one of the best studio pundits, always ready with a meaningful quip or two and who is being groomed for future commentary 'stardom', is Corky.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
archie mac said:
In print Gideon Haigh...
Damn right, but I recon Roebuck's a ****. It's all personal preference, of course.
And I also love Roland Perry. His book on Keith Miller is fantasic, almost as good as Haigh's on John Iverson.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
archie mac said:
In print Gideon Haigh and David Frith are great book writers
Totally agree. The top two currently for me. Haigh's column in The Guardian was never less than top value either. Both are Anglo-Aussies, coincidence or something else...?

In newspapers I really rate Mike Selvey & David Hopps. As telly goes Simon Hughes as "the analyst" is pretty ok too. Here's hoping some channel picks him up now 4 has lost the coverage over here.

howardj

International Coach
Best: Michael Slater; Malcolm Conn; Robert Craddock; Peter Roebuck; Ian Healy. (all offer fresh ANALYSIS -as distinct from boring description- and are not afraid to criticise players).

Worst: Bill Lawry; Richie Benaud; Ian Botham.

howardj

International Coach
Sudeep said:
Benaud - he's too occupied with making smart little comments and trying to be witty. I liked him when he was naturally witty, but now he just tries to force it.

Cloete

International Captain
Best: Slater, Benaud, O'Keefe, Chappell, Roebuck, the Indian guy on ABC Radio (I don't listen in much so I only really know the names/voices of Roebuck and Kerry) Taylor and Larsson (sp?)

Worst: Healy (Most annoying and biased commentator ever), Lawry (although, he can be quite entertaining when he is genuinely excited and has a genuine reason to get excited), Bowcott, Holding, Nicholas, Most NZ commentators

Slats is probably my favourite commentator going around at the moment. Hopefully we see Slater and Taylor commentating together in the future.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
From the Western Hemisphere I do quite like Michael Holding. It's a wonder he wasn't captain of the West Indies.

Sudeep

International Captain
howardj said:
Benaud - he's too occupied with making smart little comments and trying to be witty. I liked him when he was naturally witty, but now he just tries to force it.
Still that doesn't make him one of the worst, surely? Not the best probably, even average maybe, but worst?

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
There's another West Indian one I like too but can't remember his name. Richie Benaud and I an Chappell are cool too.

Shounak

Banned
Warney.. He's right at home in front of camera's.. Truly lives up to his nickname of "Hollywood"..

I don't see why people hate Mark Nicholas so much.. I don't mind him at all..