• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketer you'd most like to be mates with

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Stuart MacGill. He seems like the intellectual type. I have a feeling we could make fun of Warne with Warney having no idea what we're saying.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
England side:

Trescothick: Nice guy, but doesn't seem like he'd be the life and soul, exactly.
Strauss: Ditto - and he'd probably want to go to some ridiculously expensive jazz bar or something.
Vaughan: Dodgy knees would probably lead to some even dodgier dance moves.
Bell: Would be too interested in any 18-year-old girls running around.
KP: Would be too interested in himself.
Fred: Would be an almighty laugh, but would drink me into the ground, three times over.
Geraint: Erm.....too small.
Gilo: Can't fault him - he'd be my pick.
Hoggard: Would rather be at home with his dogs.
Harmison: Too Geordie.
Jonah: Too Welsh.

But overall they all seem like top blokes - most I've met, and the others don't seem to have much wrong with them.

masterblaster

International Captain
Without a doubt, Michael Slater. He's probably my favourite Aussie player of all time as well as my favourite current commentator. He seems like a guy who will be there for his friends and will always give you some friendly advice on anything in life.

Also probably Adam Gilchrist, the guy's honest, hardworking and carries himself in the most positive way. When it comes to Indian players, probably Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid and Ajit Agarkar. I've met all three of them quite a few times personally, and they all seem like good natured, honest people who'd you want to be friends with.

So Michael Slater, Adam Gilchrist, Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid and Ajit Agarkar.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Immediately Jonty Rhodes comes to mind, but the problem with him is that he's too perfect as a person and a sportsman he'd just make me feel inept and inadequate at everything.. So probably a choice between Gary Kirsten and Allan Donald.. Hersch would be a right laugh I expect

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wow, no mention of a female cricketer yet and only one sycophant call, has the sky fallen in or something?

jamesicus

School Boy/Girl Captain
Wearing my "old fogey" hat .....

I would have liked to have befriended the following cricketers -- and been able to discourse with them -- for to me they embodied class, grace, civility, dignity and an unbounded love of the game -- besides, I don't believe we would have had "f" word laced conversations.

Don Bradman
Lindsay Hassett
Learie Constantine
Manny Martindale
Everton Weekes
Clyde Walcott
Vijay Hazare
Walter Hammond
Eddie Paynter

Barney Rubble

International Coach
jamesicus said:
Wearing my "old fogey" hat .....

I would have liked to have befriended the following cricketers -- and been able to discourse with them -- for to me they embodied class, grace, civility, dignity and an unbounded love of the game -- besides, I don't believe we would have had "f" word laced conversations.

Don Bradman
Lindsay Hassett
Learie Constantine
Manny Martindale
Everton Weekes
Clyde Walcott
Vijay Hazare
Walter Hammond
Eddie Paynter
I think you're in a far more privileged position than the rest of us, James - I'm sure cricket produced many more interesting characters and, indeed more genuine gentlemen back then than it does now. That's not to slight today's players, but in the past the standards of sportsmanship and fair play were so high that you simply couldn't play the game if you weren't an accomodating, friendly bloke. Or that's how it seems to me, anyway.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Well, of current Aussie cricketers, it might seem a strange choice, but Glen McGrath's always seemed a fairly nice guy to me. I know his behaviour on the field hasn't always been the best, but he does have a rep for being quite a jovial, friendly guy off it. His wife also seems nice and genuine, and doesn't have the same air of uh, how you say, "trophy" about her as some of the players' wives/girlfriends.

Outside of that, I wouldn't mind spending time with Steve Waugh - I like his sense of ethical responsibility, I'm pretty sure I like his politics, and I admire him an enormous amount as a cricketer. Other players that come to mind are Greg Matthews, Carl Hooper, Phil Tufnell and The Shoaib.

parisa

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Daniel Vettori...because I think he's a genuinely nice guy

Brett Lee...because I'm sure he's loads of fun to be with

And definitely not Shane Bond because my hormones won't allow me to do anything normally! :D

Josh

International Regular
chooka_nick said:
Ian Harvey coz I'm a fan of his I've met him, he's such a loveable dweeb it's not even funny
HARVEY!! yeh I'd say him. He just looks like a good bloke lol. Mick Lewis, too.

Haha I love it every time we go to an ODI and Watson is bowling we chant out "Bring back Harvey!!" among other things.