• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good - or bad - an umpire is Darryl Hair?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
kvemuri said:
IMO, Hair is an average ump, definitely better than some of the others out there. But i think Hair's biggest problem is his ego, he thinks he is bigger than the game and since he is the ump, he can do whilly-nilly as he chooses. In this regard he is one of the worst ump's as instead of difusing situations he is the one creating it or better yet blowing it wide and as others pointed out here if he gets that easily fed up, he is not fit for the job. I would rather have a bad ump who is willing to learn from his mistakes than an average ump who thinks he is better than everyone out there.
and that is the biggest reason he shouldn't be an umpire, leave alone the panel. Umpires should be ppl who dont mind playing second fiddle. The players were, are and will always be THE thing in cricket. The umpires are just there to ensure smooth running of the game and give decisions. The best umpires get the least noticed. (Eg: Simon Taufel). Hair seems like someone who always wants to get noticed, just like Bucknor and Bowden. And that is why, even if these guys are able to get good decisions in, I think they should be removed from the panel. Because with these guys, it is always a matter of time before an incident like the recent one happens.

PS: I don't think Bowden will be as bad as Hair or Bucknor, but he may well end up that way in the future.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
and that is the biggest reason he shouldn't be an umpire, leave alone the panel. Umpires should be ppl who dont mind playing second fiddle. The players were, are and will always be THE thing in cricket. The umpires are just there to ensure smooth running of the game and give decisions. The best umpires get the least noticed. (Eg: Simon Taufel). Hair seems like someone who always wants to get noticed, just like Bucknor and Bowden. And that is why, even if these guys are able to get good decisions in, I think they should be removed from the panel. Because with these guys, it is always a matter of time before an incident like the recent one happens.
Agreed.
Hair, Bucknor and Bowden seem to enjoy their TV time too much. The fact that when asked why he did his funny signals Billy Bowden replied something like "It adds to the entertainment of the game". Does it really, Brent? Is that what people are there to see?

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Not sure Hair fits into the category, a more moribund, stickler to the rules plodder and traditionalist I've yet to see officiate.

I agree about Billy Idiot though, get rid of the showpony.

JBH001

International Regular
Hair is an awful umpire - perhaps the worst of all time!

Haven't you heard? He called Murali for throwing.

Fusion

Global Moderator
JBH001 said:
Hair is an awful umpire - perhaps the worst of all time!

Haven't you heard? He called Murali for throwing.
Hair is a great umpire - perhaps the best of all time!

Haven't you heard? His way of doing things is the only thing preventing Cricket from ceasing to exist. 8-)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Sounds like he's ready to bust a few caps:

LONDON: Under-fire Australian umpire Darrell Hair is not unduly bothered by the strong criticism against him in the wake of the ball-tampering controversy, saying a lot of people will pay the price when he comes out with his version of the row.

Expressing his anguish that he was not treated well in his adopted country (England) following Sunday's unpleasant episode, Hair said he would reveal his side of the story only after the issue came to an end.

"I'll be putting a lot to my side when this is all over. I have been vilified by virtually everybody here and when the truth comes out a lot of people will pay. So, that's all I can say," Hair was quoted as saying by the 'Independent'.

The 53-year-old Lincolnshire-based umpire said people who wanted him out of the ICC Elite panel umpires would have do something special to achieve their aim.

"If people want to try and force me out of the game it has to be done in some shape or form that I am unaware of, because I am contracted to do a job and I know I am doing it quite well at the moment so far as the ins and outs are concerned," he said.

Hair said he did not have any problem in officiating in matches involving teams from the sub-continent.

"There is no problem with me and the sub-continent. I have umpired quite a lot in the sub-continent over the last couple of years to the best of my ability."

Responding to a question whether his umpiring was under threat after the ball-tampering row, Hair blamed the media for giving unnecessary emphasis on any subject.

"There's a lot of things under threat and you people (the media) are probably responsible for a lot of them."
http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1049124

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fusion said:
Hair is a great umpire - perhaps the best of all time!

Haven't you heard? His way of doing things is the only thing preventing Cricket from ceasing to exist. 8-)
Now that's a bit over the top, but he does have a stunning physique.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
If he got assigned to a test in Pakistan, do you think it would be fair for the ICC to say they had a Hair out of place?

Coatcheck please!

Yahto

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Voltman said:
If he got assigned to a test in Pakistan, do you think it would be fair for the ICC to say they had a Hair out of place?

Coatcheck please!
I'm sure every day there would be a bad hair day.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Voltman said:
If he got assigned to a test in Pakistan, do you think it would be fair for the ICC to say they had a Hair out of place.
I don't think he will do another Pakistan game, there's something about Pakistan and Hair that doesn't seem to gel.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lillian Thomson said:
I don't think he will do another Pakistan game, there's something about Pakistan and Hair that doesn't seem to gel.
I'd like to think what the big wigs at the ICC think about this.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
There was something written in an editorial over here saying that South Africa made a complaint about Hair in 2003 because too many decisions going towards Pakistan. Hadn't seen it mentioned in all the discussion on here; is it true?