• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Latif wants action taken against Bell.

C_C

International Captain
Many people here have played cricket and i am one of them. Bell's eyes were glued to the ball and in situations like those, you know whether it touched the ground or not - your entire focus is on the ball ffs !!
Bell simply was being dishonest. End of story.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Many people here have played cricket and i am one of them. Bell's eyes were glued to the ball and in situations like those, you know whether it touched the ground or not - your entire focus is on the ball ffs !!
Correct. But some people are making him out to be unique when "cheating" is happening all the time. After the famous Kasper dismissal in the Ashes Test Harmison was asked about the fact that replays showed his hand off the bat at the point of contact and he said he wasn't interested in that because the umpire gave him out. That of course wasn't cheating but it shows the attitude of the players towards getting wickets.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
How do we know that Bell has gotten away with this ? This match isn't over yet. As for Latif, I agree he is a moron and I dont really care what he says or doesn't say.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Bell is no more of a cheat than a batsman who knows he's out and doesn't walk. So are we going to start calling for bans on batsman who stand their ground when they know they're out? Even if the umpire gives them out they are still attempting to cheat by not walking.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Isolator said:
If a batsman doesn't walk, he's not breaking any rules, and thus is not cheating.
The rules of the game say that a batsman is out if the ball is caught. If he knows he's out and stays in, he's cheating.
Bell wasn't cheating either if you want to take that angle as there is no rule preventing a bowler from appealling so he wasn't breaking any rules either.

Bell should be banned.

He knew he hadn't caught it, as shown by his body language to the umpire.

Hopefully he doesn't go unpunished and Afridi take all the flack. Both commited attempts to cheat.

Bell's sneaky little face annoys me.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sanz said:
How do we know that Bell has gotten away with this ? This match isn't over yet.
My guess is since the match referee has already done Afridi, if there was any hearing it would've been last night.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
There is no reason at all why Bell should be banned. You see dismissals all the time where the bowlers and fielders know the batsman hasn't hit the ball. All the extra fuss is because he might have known he didn't catch it. What's the difference between knowing the batsman hasn't hit it, and the ball not carrying? He appealled and the umpire gave it out, end of story. Supposing the umpire had said not out, Bells crime of claiming the catch would be the same but no one would be calling for a ban

open365

International Vice-Captain
I can't believe the amount of people on here that think Bell's a cheater!

yes,i don't think he caught it but only on the super slow mos and Bell didn't look to convinced either but i think he wanted the decision to go up-stairs.

Bell was un-sure,and just imagine if he never appealed then saw the replays and it was clearly out.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I honestly dont see the big fuss.

The players are out there to take wickets and score runs, thr umpires are out there to make the decisions.

Claiming catches you know have hit the ground (and Im still not 100% convinced that Bell's catch did hit the ground...) is no more cheating than appealing for lbw when you know its going down the leg side, or appealing for a bat pad decision when you know it came straight off the pad.

There seems to be a lot of fuss over claiming catches that have hit the ground, and Im not sure why. People appeal in other situations when they know it isnt out, so I dont see why this should be any different.

Shounak

Banned
Lillian Thomson said:
Correct. But some people are making him out to be unique when "cheating" is happening all the time. After the famous Kasper dismissal in the Ashes Test Harmison was asked about the fact that replays showed his hand off the bat at the point of contact and he said he wasn't interested in that because the umpire gave him out. That of course wasn't cheating but it shows the attitude of the players towards getting wickets.
Two wrongs don't make a right..

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, I didn't see the incident at all so can't comment on it specifically but I can re-call a few of occasions when I've taken a catch which was total reflex and millimetres off the turf and had no real idea whether I'd grounded it or not, so quickly did the whole thing go down. If you're at full-stretch diving for a catch, for example, you can't help it but your eyes do close and you're just hoping to catch the ball in many ways. Or maybe it's just me.......... :D

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
shounak said:
Two wrongs don't make a right..
I'm not quite sure what that is supposed to mean. My point is that the Bell incident which was a member of the fielding side claiming a wicket he knew wasn't out happens all the time and the bowler in every case is not concerned with anything other than removing the batsman.
Players have decided with their conduct, batsman not walking and bowlers appealling when they know it's not out, to leave it up to the umpire. In doing so they have to accept that many mistakes will be made.

greg

International Debutant
Lillian Thomson said:
I'm not sure why the fuss about the Bell catch. For years upon years wicketkeepers and close catchers have been claiming and given catches when they know damn well the batsman has not hit the ball. All countries are equally calpable. It's a sad fact of the game that in the main the bowling side do not care whether a dismissal is genuine or not, the only thing they care about is the taking of ten wickets by fair means or foul. The only thing I would say is that I don't expect to see Ian Bell lingering at the crease looking disgusted when he inevitably one day gets a bad decision.
Well considering the number of dubious decisions he has got in his short career thus far, and the fact that he is clearly continuing a "Gilchrist policy" (ie. he is a walker) I don't think he could be accused of that. In fact, unlike almost every other batsman in world cricket today who make a point of showing disappointment at bad decisions if only so that the TV cameras know to check them, Bell has shown almost no reaction to umpires decisions at any point. The fact that some of the decisions that went against him in the Ashes were somewhat dubious was only found out subsequently thanks to the "Analyst" that Channel 4 had.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
greg said:
Well considering the number of dubious decisions he has got in his short career thus far, and the fact that he is clearly continuing a "Gilchrist policy" (ie. he is a walker) I don't think he could be accused of that. In fact, unlike almost every other batsman in world cricket today who make a point of showing disappointment at bad decisions if only so that the TV cameras know to check them, Bell has shown almost no reaction to umpires decisions at any point. The fact that some of the decisions that went against him in the Ashes were somewhat dubious was only found out subsequently thanks to the "Analyst" that Channel 4 had.
Not doubting that he copped some bad ones, but I can't remember them. Could you remind me? :)

a10khan

School Boy/Girl Captain
I watched it and believe me all that it was a case of picking up the ball from fround. Lets not over-complicate when they dont need to be. He caught the ball on his way down, opened his palms, the ball was "on the ground", picked it up and appealed. I cannot imagine that he would have not known that the ball touched the ground.