Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Rules on mancatting?

  1. #1
    Hall of Fame Member GotSpin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Posts
    16,136

    Rules on mankadding

    Does anybody know the international rules for mankadding. This is where the bowler just before he bowls the ball, hits the stumps at the non strikers end, with the batsmen out of his crease.
    Last edited by GotSpin; 19-11-2005 at 07:54 PM.
    Don't go chasing waterfalls

  2. #2
    Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    27,193
    Mankadding. Named after the Indian all-rounder Vinoo Mankad who pulled it off in Australia - and, seeing as he wasn't Aussie, was vilified for being unsporting, cheating, etc, etc.

    Current rules dictate that it's fine so long as the bowler hasn't entered his delivery stride. By the letter of the law, no warnings are required any longer.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

    Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

    Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

  3. #3
    International Coach archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    Mankadding. Named after the Indian all-rounder Vinoo Mankad who pulled it off in Australia - and, seeing as he wasn't Aussie, was vilified for being unsporting, cheating, etc, etc.

    Current rules dictate that it's fine so long as the bowler hasn't entered his delivery stride. By the letter of the law, no warnings are required any longer.
    True, but I know in the triangular comp. (ODI) in Aust. They were not allowed to perform any Mankads during the series.
    You know it makes sense.

  4. #4
    International Regular Josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    3,903
    The rules make it near impossible for a bowler to mankad because as soon as his back foot lands, the non-striker is permitted to begin backing-up. So either the bowler has to do it mid air, or he has to just run in in a normal fashion without a delivery stride.

    I got incorrectly adjudged to be mankadded in a 5th Grade Grand Final match where we needed 8 to win off 10 balls. The 69 year-old umpire had a panic attack, gave me out, then decided to look in the rule book, tap the shoulder of the captain and say "I think I've made a mistake".

    A bit late for that you old b******.


  5. #5
    Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Derby, England
    Posts
    17,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    I got incorrectly adjudged to be mankadded in a 5th Grade Grand Final match where we needed 8 to win off 10 balls. The 69 year-old umpire had a panic attack, gave me out, then decided to look in the rule book, tap the shoulder of the captain and say "I think I've made a mistake".

    A bit late for that you old b******.
    Nothing ever changes. Try to steal a loaf and get caught, try to steal a run and get caught. Blooming Aussies.

    /runs
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men

  6. #6
    International Coach howardj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    13,724
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyeddie
    Nothing ever changes. Try to steal a loaf and get caught, try to steal a run and get caught. Blooming Aussies.

    /runs
    We're top blokes though. It's just our larrikin streak coming through

    On mancadding, my parent's friends mancadded me on the beach one time, when I was about 8 years old, and I chucked the biggest fit ever, and stormed off for two hours in tears. Got my backside belted when I got back too! I'm sure it's not the only mancadding incident to have caused a tantrum in social cricket circles. As a kid, It's just terrible for your innings to be so ruthlessly snuffed out, in a such an underhanded manner!

  7. #7
    Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Derby, England
    Posts
    17,755
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj
    We're top blokes though. It's just our larrikin streak
    Is that Heath Streak's brother?

  8. #8
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    23,883
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj
    We're top blokes though. It's just our larrikin streak coming through

    On mancadding, my parent's friends mancadded me on the beach one time, when I was about 8 years old, and I chucked the biggest fit ever, and stormed off for two hours in tears. Got my backside belted when I got back too! I'm sure it's not the only mancadding incident to have caused a tantrum in social cricket circles. As a kid, It's just terrible for your innings to be so ruthlessly snuffed out, in a such an underhanded manner!
    I know, I've been a victim of it many times in backyard and schoolyard cricket too.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

  9. #9
    Cricketer Of The Year Kweek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Haarlem, The Netherlands
    Posts
    7,723
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    The rules make it near impossible for a bowler to mankad because as soon as his back foot lands, the non-striker is permitted to begin backing-up. So either the bowler has to do it mid air, or he has to just run in in a normal fashion without a delivery stride.

    I got incorrectly adjudged to be mankadded in a 5th Grade Grand Final match where we needed 8 to win off 10 balls. The 69 year-old umpire had a panic attack, gave me out, then decided to look in the rule book, tap the shoulder of the captain and say "I think I've made a mistake".

    A bit late for that you old b******.
    haha. I had that too...he was in his stride...so i walked up. (out of my crease) he came down...didnt bowl the ball and got my stumps off.. he said your out 1st warning I said no im not you were in you stride.....he said learn the rules I said I do know the rules. your wrong.blablabla. I reckond he wouldnt do it again..but he did..umpire gave me out...he said its important for the future you know that out(the bowler)(in senior league this was ) and he said you need to know the rules..then I said I know the *beep* rules you idiot and i beeped on for a bit...then walked into changing room and closed the door REALLY loud....my skipper wasnt to happy with my swearing and the closing of the door although he said i was right. then at the end of there innings i was sitting in my chair. mocking about what a ********s the guys were(in myself not speaking it out ofcourse) then there bowler walked to me and said you need to know the rules you beep. then my skipper went mad and took him "down' on the ground and said the wonderous words of f*** off :P
    P.S. We beat England at Lord's
    Member of the RTDAS.
    Member of the ESAS - Edgar Schiferli Appreciation Society
    President of the DNAS - Dirk Nannes Appreciation Society
    Member of the CW Colts!

    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think it's really disappointing of her - would only take a minute or two of her time....
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy View Post
    Wishful thinking on your behalf.

  10. #10
    International Debutant Natman20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    2,710
    I saw on tv Ewan Chatfield I think it was doing it before. It is a smart thing to do.

  11. #11
    International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    liverpool
    Posts
    4,066
    It nearly happened to me in an U11s game.

    the bowler ran up and i was quite a way outside my crease(our coach just told us the importance of backing up)the bowler ran up un-usualy slowly and kept looking at me and the stumps.

    'ah,must be having no-ball troubles' i thought to myself.

    so he bowls,but keeps the ball in his hand,puts the ball next to the stumps and says to me 'your out'

    i couldn't understand what the hell was going on so my 10 year old batting partner said 'run' and we ran a single.

    dont ask how...

  12. #12
    Hall of Fame Member GotSpin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Posts
    16,136
    Has it been done internationaly?

  13. #13
    Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    27,193
    Instances of Mankading in Test Cricket

    1. Bill Brown by Vinoo Mankad, Australia v India, Sydney, 1947-48
    2. Ian Redpath by Charlie Griffith, Australia v West Indies, Adelaide, 1968-69
    3. Derek Randall by Ewen Chatfield, England v New Zealand, Christchurch, 1977-78
    4. Sikander Bakht by Alan Hurst, Pakistan v Australia, Perth, 1978-79

    Instances of Mankading in Oneday Internationals

    1. Brian Luckhurst by Greg Chappell, England v Australia, Melbourne, 1974-75
    2. Grant Flower by Dipak Patel, Zimbabwe v New Zealand, Harare, 1992-93
    3. Peter Kirsten by Kapil Dev, South Africa v India, Port Elizabeth, 1992-93

  14. #14
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    24,003
    It happened to me once, when I was about 11 or 12. And it was my own cousin who did it to me.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

    Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.


    Check out this awesome e-fed:

    PWE Efed

  15. #15
    Hall of Fame Member GotSpin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Posts
    16,136
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup
    Instances of Mankading in Test Cricket

    1. Bill Brown by Vinoo Mankad, Australia v India, Sydney, 1947-48
    2. Ian Redpath by Charlie Griffith, Australia v West Indies, Adelaide, 1968-69
    3. Derek Randall by Ewen Chatfield, England v New Zealand, Christchurch, 1977-78
    4. Sikander Bakht by Alan Hurst, Pakistan v Australia, Perth, 1978-79

    Instances of Mankading in Oneday Internationals

    1. Brian Luckhurst by Greg Chappell, England v Australia, Melbourne, 1974-75
    2. Grant Flower by Dipak Patel, Zimbabwe v New Zealand, Harare, 1992-93
    3. Peter Kirsten by Kapil Dev, South Africa v India, Port Elizabeth, 1992-93
    Ok thanks for the info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Cricket Web Forum Rules
    By James in forum Cricket Web Forum Announcements
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-03-2015, 12:13 AM
  2. Cricket rules : what should be in and out
    By nookie_lk in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 12-08-2004, 05:05 AM
  3. Wcc Managers Rules & Responsibilities
    By Blewy in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-05-2003, 01:34 AM
  4. WCC Draft Rules
    By Blewy in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 22-02-2003, 10:43 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •