• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rules on mancatting?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Rules on mankadding

Does anybody know the international rules for mankadding. This is where the bowler just before he bowls the ball, hits the stumps at the non strikers end, with the batsmen out of his crease.

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Mankadding. Named after the Indian all-rounder Vinoo Mankad who pulled it off in Australia - and, seeing as he wasn't Aussie, was vilified for being unsporting, cheating, etc, etc.

Current rules dictate that it's fine so long as the bowler hasn't entered his delivery stride. By the letter of the law, no warnings are required any longer.

archie mac

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Mankadding. Named after the Indian all-rounder Vinoo Mankad who pulled it off in Australia - and, seeing as he wasn't Aussie, was vilified for being unsporting, cheating, etc, etc.

Current rules dictate that it's fine so long as the bowler hasn't entered his delivery stride. By the letter of the law, no warnings are required any longer.
True, but I know in the triangular comp. (ODI) in Aust. They were not allowed to perform any Mankads during the series.

Josh

International Regular
The rules make it near impossible for a bowler to mankad because as soon as his back foot lands, the non-striker is permitted to begin backing-up. So either the bowler has to do it mid air, or he has to just run in in a normal fashion without a delivery stride.

I got incorrectly adjudged to be mankadded in a 5th Grade Grand Final match where we needed 8 to win off 10 balls. The 69 year-old umpire had a panic attack, gave me out, then decided to look in the rule book, tap the shoulder of the captain and say "I think I've made a mistake".

A bit late for that you old b******.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Josh said:
I got incorrectly adjudged to be mankadded in a 5th Grade Grand Final match where we needed 8 to win off 10 balls. The 69 year-old umpire had a panic attack, gave me out, then decided to look in the rule book, tap the shoulder of the captain and say "I think I've made a mistake".

Nothing ever changes. Try to steal a loaf and get caught, try to steal a run and get caught. Blooming Aussies.

/runs

howardj

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
Nothing ever changes. Try to steal a loaf and get caught, try to steal a run and get caught. Blooming Aussies.

/runs
We're top blokes though. It's just our larrikin streak coming through :)

On mancadding, my parent's friends mancadded me on the beach one time, when I was about 8 years old, and I chucked the biggest fit ever, and stormed off for two hours in tears. Got my backside belted when I got back too! I'm sure it's not the only mancadding incident to have caused a tantrum in social cricket circles. As a kid, It's just terrible for your innings to be so ruthlessly snuffed out, in a such an underhanded manner!

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
howardj said:
We're top blokes though. It's just our larrikin streak coming through :)

On mancadding, my parent's friends mancadded me on the beach one time, when I was about 8 years old, and I chucked the biggest fit ever, and stormed off for two hours in tears. Got my backside belted when I got back too! I'm sure it's not the only mancadding incident to have caused a tantrum in social cricket circles. As a kid, It's just terrible for your innings to be so ruthlessly snuffed out, in a such an underhanded manner!
I know, I've been a victim of it many times in backyard and schoolyard cricket too.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Josh said:
The rules make it near impossible for a bowler to mankad because as soon as his back foot lands, the non-striker is permitted to begin backing-up. So either the bowler has to do it mid air, or he has to just run in in a normal fashion without a delivery stride.

haha. I had that too...he was in his stride...so i walked up. (out of my crease) he came down...didnt bowl the ball and got my stumps off.. he said your out 1st warning I said no im not you were in you stride.....he said learn the rules I said I do know the rules. your wrong.blablabla. I reckond he wouldnt do it again..but he did..umpire gave me out...he said its important for the future you know that out(the bowler)(in senior league this was ) and he said you need to know the rules..then I said I know the *beep* rules you idiot and i beeped on for a bit...then walked into changing room and closed the door REALLY loud....my skipper wasnt to happy with my swearing and the closing of the door although he said i was right. then at the end of there innings i was sitting in my chair. mocking about what a ********s the guys were(in myself not speaking it out ofcourse) then there bowler walked to me and said you need to know the rules you beep. then my skipper went mad and took him "down' on the ground and said the wonderous words of f*** off :P

open365

International Vice-Captain
It nearly happened to me in an U11s game.

the bowler ran up and i was quite a way outside my crease(our coach just told us the importance of backing up)the bowler ran up un-usualy slowly and kept looking at me and the stumps.

'ah,must be having no-ball troubles' i thought to myself.

so he bowls,but keeps the ball in his hand,puts the ball next to the stumps and says to me 'your out'

i couldn't understand what the hell was going on so my 10 year old batting partner said 'run' and we ran a single.

dont ask how...

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Instances of Mankading in Test Cricket

1. Bill Brown by Vinoo Mankad, Australia v India, Sydney, 1947-48
2. Ian Redpath by Charlie Griffith, Australia v West Indies, Adelaide, 1968-69
3. Derek Randall by Ewen Chatfield, England v New Zealand, Christchurch, 1977-78
4. Sikander Bakht by Alan Hurst, Pakistan v Australia, Perth, 1978-79

Instances of Mankading in Oneday Internationals

1. Brian Luckhurst by Greg Chappell, England v Australia, Melbourne, 1974-75
2. Grant Flower by Dipak Patel, Zimbabwe v New Zealand, Harare, 1992-93
3. Peter Kirsten by Kapil Dev, South Africa v India, Port Elizabeth, 1992-93

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
Instances of Mankading in Test Cricket

1. Bill Brown by Vinoo Mankad, Australia v India, Sydney, 1947-48
2. Ian Redpath by Charlie Griffith, Australia v West Indies, Adelaide, 1968-69
3. Derek Randall by Ewen Chatfield, England v New Zealand, Christchurch, 1977-78
4. Sikander Bakht by Alan Hurst, Pakistan v Australia, Perth, 1978-79

Instances of Mankading in Oneday Internationals

1. Brian Luckhurst by Greg Chappell, England v Australia, Melbourne, 1974-75
2. Grant Flower by Dipak Patel, Zimbabwe v New Zealand, Harare, 1992-93
Ok thanks for the info

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Neil Pickup said:
I saw that one. Kapil warned Kirsten first when he strode out of the crease. Then he again strode out in another delivery stide and Kapil removed the bails. It was hilarious.

This lead to a fast bowler doing the same on a batsman in a match we were playing among classmates. It was not given out as the bowler had not warned earlier.

When was the 'no prior warning required' put into place?

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Being Mankadded is like running out of petrol in your car; once it happens to you, you make damn sure it never happens again.