cricket betting betway blog banner small
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: India Plays hard Ball with South Africa,,,

  1. #1
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Posts
    55

    India Plays hard Ball with South Africa,,,

    India makes me so furious. The match fixing scandal was laid to rest five years ago… Why must Indian authorities dictate who South Africa can and cannot send to that country, especially seeing as though both Boje and Gibbs were cleared by the King Commission (which had the backing of the ICC and the UCB). Are India that threatened by a spinner who is not all that good in the first place…

    Its funny how our government hasn’t banned or threatened to arrest Mohammed Azrhidin. There is something Basil de Olevira about all of this, and if money was not such a big issue in the modern game, I’d be calling for a boycott of this tour. I hope South Africa (the second best ODI team in the world) whip India. Cricket is not the winner here.

  2. #2
    State Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,887
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean
    Are India that threatened by a spinner who is not all that good in the first place…
    I doubt it. And so the rest of your analysis probably falls to pieces.

  3. #3
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by greg
    I doubt it. And so the rest of your analysis probably falls to pieces.

    It just shows there is no logic in what they are doing...

  4. #4
    Cricket Web Staff Member luckyeddie's Avatar
    Target Champion! Stuarts Xtreme Skateboarding Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Derby, England
    Posts
    17,755
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean
    It just shows there is no logic in what they are doing...
    I think the issue is out of the hands of the Indian cricket authorities
    Nigel Clough's Black and White Army, beating Forest away with 10 men


  5. #5
    International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean
    It just shows there is no logic in what they are doing...
    Or perhaps the Indian authorities (NOT the BCCI) want to eliminate all traces of matchfixing and the like and so want to question Gibbs and Boje again? ..and here's a newsflash, a nation can decide who enters (and who doesn't enter) that nation - which isn't what they're trying to do anyway. Why are you getting so angry anyway??? IT reflects poorly on you that you would defend someone proven to be involved in this whole scandal (try and find an Indian defending Azhar) and then try and turn it into some sort of nationalistic argument.

  6. #6
    International Coach archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasa
    Or perhaps the Indian authorities (NOT the BCCI) want to eliminate all traces of matchfixing and the like and so want to question Gibbs and Boje again? ..and here's a newsflash, a nation can decide who enters (and who doesn't enter) that nation - which isn't what they're trying to do anyway. Why are you getting so angry anyway??? IT reflects poorly on you that you would defend someone proven to be involved in this whole scandal (try and find an Indian defending Azhar) and then try and turn it into some sort of nationalistic argument.
    I think you are being a bit hard on Dean, I belive he has a valid point. What next India are going to say they will not let in proven drug cheats? Bye bye Shane Warne. (yes I know they have already let him in)

    Back in the 60s we had protests against Doug Walters because of his involment in Vietnam (he never went to the Country), I think it would be much better for cricket to move on.
    You know it makes sense.

  7. #7
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    I think you are being a bit hard on Dean, I belive he has a valid point. What next India are going to say they will not let in proven drug cheats? Bye bye Shane Warne. (yes I know they have already let him in)
    Wrong analogy..the correct analogy would be drug trafficking that is someone smuggles banned drugs to India and manages to leave the country before his suspect involvment is discovered then..Shane warne didn't smuggle drugs into India, he took something which is a banned substance in the sports world, but isn't considered against the law. He didn't break the law of the LAND.

    And no, Dean doesn't have a point here. The fact is simple, Boje and Gibbs broke law in India, Indian police filed charges against them, if you want to go to India then either do what the police wants you to do or dont go.

  8. #8
    International Coach archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,807
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz
    Wrong analogy..the correct analogy would be drug trafficking that is someone smuggles banned drugs to India and manages to leave the country before his suspect involvment is discovered then..Shane warne didn't smuggle drugs into India, he took something which is a banned substance in the sports world, but isn't considered against the law. He didn't break the law of the LAND.

    And no, Dean doesn't have a point here. The fact is simple, Boje and Gibbs broke law in India, Indian police filed charges against them, if you want to go to India then either do what the police wants you to do or dont go.
    Well Sanz if you are going to use that sort of logic we are going to struggle to have a debate

    I still think the police are publicly grandstanding, in this case, and could have handled it a lot better.

  9. #9
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Posts
    46,243
    The fact is simple, Boje and Gibbs broke law in India, Indian police filed charges against them, if you want to go to India then either do what the police wants you to do or dont go.
    precisely, they should be thankful they havent received any sanctions or hearings by the ICC if you ask me.

  10. #10
    Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    27,193
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger
    precisely, they should be thankful they havent received any sanctions or hearings by the ICC if you ask me.
    Gibbs got a six month ban, along with Henry Williams, IIRC?

  11. #11
    Spanish_Vicente sledger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Elm, he do brood. And Oak, he do hate. But the Willow-man goes walking, If you stays out late.
    Posts
    46,243
    in which case justice has been done to an extent, i was not aware of that. But none the less, cant blame the indian authorities, just serves gibbs and boje right if you ask me.

  12. #12
    International Captain Slow Love™'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    6,080
    Quote Originally Posted by greg
    I doubt it. And so the rest of your analysis probably falls to pieces.
    LOL.

    And the orientation of this thread is all wrong. Indian authorities aren't dictating who can or can't enter the country. The South Africans are asking for assurances that Boje and Gibbs won't be arrested or questioned, and the Indian police won't do so. So the South Africans decide they won't risk it and have them tour.

    It has nothing to do with the Indian govt or authorities deciding not to allow people of "dubious character" into the country, or anything of the like. And comparing Gibbs and Boje's plight to D'Oliveira is a bit rich, IMO.
    "Youre known for having a liking for men who look like women."
    - Linda

    "FFS I'm sick and tired of having to see a bloke bend over to pick something up or lean over and see their arse crack. For christ's sake pull your pants up or buy some underpants you bogan because nobody want's to see it. And this is a boat building shed (well one of them) not a porn studio."
    - Craig

  13. #13
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    65,366
    Umm Gibbs and Boje are allowed in the country, the BCCI nor the government are saying they can't go. Hell I reckon once they finish answering the police questions they may get a free curry cooked for them.

    Its Gibbs and Boje who don't want to go to India because they want to be questioned in a neutral location. Personally I think they just fear the curry.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  14. #14
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    24,003
    Personally, I think Gibbs and Boje must have done something wrong. That is why they are afraid to be questioned by the police. I think their acts must prejudice opinions against them in a big way. Azhar and the others all got bans, but the point is, they weren't caught by the police. Cronje and his cronies were, and it seems a couple of them were sorta let off the hook and are now avoiding coming to India to make sure they avoid being found out.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

    Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.


    Check out this awesome e-fed:

    PWE Efed



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Great Test Matches..
    By Neil Pickup in forum Cricket Games
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 04-10-2010, 07:17 PM
  2. Ganguly's achievements
    By ReallyCrazy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 24-08-2004, 01:40 PM
  3. south african world cup journey
    By bugssy in forum Cricket Games
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 25-10-2003, 06:34 AM
  4. South Africa Vs India
    By lord_of_darkness in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 29-09-2002, 04:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •