• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Nicholas Dumped

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Tom Halsey said:
Boycott comes in for much uncalled for stick IMO - he was IMO the best commentator in The Ashes by far.
So many IMO's...:)
That's true though - Boycott is my favourite commentator these days with the decline of Benaud...he easily has the best cricketing brain of any commentator these days and isn't afraid to actually criticise a player. So many comms seem afraid to say anything remotely negative.

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
age_master said:
Mark Nicholas has apparently been dumped by Ch 9 owing to an overfilled commentary box

bout time :D:D:D
Age master,i still havent read that,is it confirmed yet or are they saying he might go?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
jlo33692 said:
Age master,i still havent read that,is it confirmed yet or are they saying he might go?
AFAIK its confirmed

and with the reason being that there were too many commentators i doubt anyone else will come in.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lord_of_darkness said:
Lmao.. thats like sayin Tendulkar would make a super commentator.. hes got a funny tone of voice lmao!
Boycs is one of the best commentators I have heard. He always has good ideas of what should be done in particular situations and his reasons often make sense, unlike so many others, including biased guys like Lawry, Greig etc. Even Richie isn't all that great now. Healy is good, so is Slater. Taylor is just too boring.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
Mark Nicholas is OK, nothing brilliant. Tony Greig is the one that needs to go. He makes so many mistakes in identifying fielders and is just plain hopeless. Lawry can stay as entertainment value only. Taylor is awful. O'Donnell is not much better.

On the positive side I've always liked Ian Chappell, Benaud and Healy. Slater would be a great addition as would O'Keeffe. They may make room for Steve Waugh but I don't think he'd be any good. It's too bad that Boycott will not be down. He's always been good.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Argonaut said:
Tony Greig is the one that needs to go. He makes so many mistakes in identifying fielders and is just plain hopeless.
Agreed.
"In the air...it's going to be caught, is it? No, he's missed it...has he? He's got it! What a catch!"

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tom Halsey said:
Boycott comes in for much uncalled for stick IMO - he was IMO the best commentator in The Ashes by far.
Agree entirely !!! I never missed his commentary stints in the ashes

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
honestbharani said:
Boycs is one of the best commentators I have heard. He always has good ideas of what should be done in particular situations and his reasons often make sense, unlike so many others, including biased guys like Lawry, Greig etc. Even Richie isn't all that great now. Healy is good, so is Slater. Taylor is just too boring.
Why is it that people think Tony Greig is biased? I actually think he enjoys seeing Australia lose or challenged at least.

And before someone refers to his common comments during the Ashes where he said "if England can make 400 on this deck, imagine what Australia can get", I think that's more an example of his idiocy than his bias. That being said I still enjoy his commentary, Lawry too. :D

Last edited:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Jono said:
Why is it that people thing Tony Greig is biased? I actually think he enjoys seeing Australia lose or challenged at least.

And before someone refers to his common comments during the Ashes where he said "if England can make 400 on this deck, imagine what Australia can get", I think that's more an example of his idiocy than his bias. That being said I still enjoy his commentary, Lawry too. :D
Actually, that's quite true. I don't think Grieg is biased, he's just an idiot. Comms like Healy and Lawry are biased.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Channel 4 was a class commentary lineup. Boycott and Benaud are comfortably the two best commentators in the world, Slater is the best of the newer bunch, Greig is a bit of an idiot at times, but he's funny and a decent commentator, and Atherton and Nicholas were poor but not as bad as someone like Botham or Lloyd.

Anyway, I'd love to see Boycott in Australia, he's my favourite commentator after Richie, who hasn't been as good as usual lately. Boycott's little fights with Tony during the Ashes were brilliant.

Craig

World Traveller
Dasa said:
So many IMO's...:)
That's true though - Boycott is my favourite commentator these days with the decline of Benaud...he easily has the best cricketing brain of any commentator these days and isn't afraid to actually criticise a player. So many comms seem afraid to say anything remotely negative.
Like saying his mum is better then Bangladesh and IIRC she has been dead for around 25 years.

Now that is woefull (with all due respect given). :mellow:

Craig

World Traveller
Neil Pickup said:
Am I the only David Lloyd fan in the world?
He is also a great commentator.

Although I disliked Darren Lehmann's commentatory to the maximum, he was just too annoying.