• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mark Nicholas Dumped

howardj

International Coach
Jono said:
What exactly does Nicholas say which is analytical and has insight? He's all show with no substance.
Plenty. He at least makes you think, and is eminently more fresh and interesting to listen to than Greig, Lawry or Benaud who all take the audience for granted. See above.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
howardj said:
Plenty. He at least makes you think, and is eminently more fresh and interesting to listen to than Greig, Lawry or Benaud who all take the audience for granted. See above.
Im pretty sick of him telling me what a great bloke Freddie is. I get it, he put his arm around Brett Lee after Edgebaston, I just dont need to hear it every time he comes on to bowl.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
I'm serious, considering the amount of runs he scored he scored in his career and the number of hundreds he would know what he is preaching about.
Lmao.. thats like sayin Tendulkar would make a super commentator.. hes got a funny tone of voice lmao!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Linda said:
Im pretty sick of him telling me what a great bloke Freddie is. I get it, he put his arm around Brett Lee after Edgebaston, I just dont need to hear it every time he comes on to bowl.
Exactly. It gets annoying. When I first read that so many of the English posters on here despised Nicholas, I was curious as to why. It took me a few weeks to realise, when I found out he was just so blatantly useless when it came to cricket analysis. Someone above said it best, he tries to make everything seem important. Like it's once in a lifetime. The best commentators don't have to MAKE it seem like it is, because when it comes around (Ashes 2005 for example) they just call the action with their true emotions.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Jono said:
Exactly. It gets annoying. When I first read that so many of the English posters on here despised Nicholas, I was curious as to why. It took me a few weeks to realise, when I found out he was just so blatantly useless when it came to cricket analysis. Someone above said it best, he tries to make everything seem important. Like it's once in a lifetime. The best commentators don't have to MAKE it seem like it is, because when it comes around (Ashes 2005 for example) they just call the action with their true emotions.
Exactly! According to him, whoever is on the screen at the time is the best in the world, or so he makes it seem. At least with your Griegs and Lawrys, they don't pretend to be insightful and analytical, and they provide good entertainment value. Nicholas just loves to hear the sound of his own voice.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I like Nicholas for the simple fact that he's unique, i mean, how many Englishmen do you know that have a brain?;)

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
benchmark00 said:
I like Nicholas for the simple fact that he's unique, i mean, how many Englishmen do you know that have a brain?;)
That'd make it one more than the number of Australians that hold the Ashes.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Jono said:
Oh my goodness, you have summed up my thoughts perfectly! And the Clarke love affair goes back to Nicholas' Hampshire days, of course.

Mister Wright

Jono said:
YES! I was telling my mate how good this was, but he likes him for some reason. I guess some people get sucked in to his 'polished' voice where he just talks crap using the thesaurus.

He never says anything worthwhile in the commentary box. And I reckon he's in love with Michael Clarke.
Great post.

Mister Wright

vic_orthdox said:
Quite possible. They had to find someone to make way for Holding while the Windies are here, and there is no guest commentator planned for the SA series.

I just find it annoying how he makes everything seem so important, everything about a player so great, and just tries to wind whatever he's saying about someone into what's going on at the time, at the expense of accuracy.

E.g. he'll be talking about how elegant Martyn is, and then Martyn plays a pull shot out of nowhere, and he'll say "That's trademark Martyn there" when it isn't at all. (That occurrence itself hasn't happened, but it's the sort of thing he does.)
I know what you mean. Nicholas could make September 11 sound like the greatest (positive) event of all time.

Beleg

International Regular
The 'exactly's' in some of the previous posts are far funnier than anything that ever came out of Nicholas's mouth.

Watching him alongside Waqar Younis was the worst commentary experience I have ever had in my whole life.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Beleg said:
The 'exactly's' in some of the previous posts are far funnier than anything that ever came out of Nicholas's mouth.

Watching him alongside Waqar Younis was the worst commentary experience I have ever had in my whole life.
Are you referring to Waqar "Wow, what a bewdy!" Younis? :p :D

Slow Love™

International Captain
Beleg said:
This would probably make a thread unto itself. My worst commentary experience had to be Bumble and Thommo together (it had to happen) on the Ashes tour of England before last.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Finally, that boring, posh, pompous self-loving Nicholas has been dropped.

As for Benaud, I noticed how much rubbish he talked in The Ashes, he's losing it IMO.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
I wish Geoff Boycott would come over here. Now he is worth listening too.

I'm serious, considering the amount of runs he scored he scored in his career and the number of hundreds he would know what he is preaching about.
He often talks a lot of sense in the box IMO.