• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sir, thy name is "Useful"

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Never great, but they did a job. This thread is a tribute to players who were useful at International level, whilst never actually crossing into the realm of the outstanding.

Some West Indian names to start off...

Clayton Lambert
He didn't play many Tests, but was a solid player, albeit with an unorthodox technique. In domestic cricket he was a top player.

Neil McGarrell
Like Lambert, he never got a long run in international cricket, but put in some handy performances when he did. A generally economical offspinner, and a useful lower order batsman.

Kenny Benjamin
125 International wickets - Benjamin did a fine job for the West Indies in the early and mid90s. Still, he never attained the level of an Ambrose or a Walsh, but handled his role as well as could have been asked.

Winston Benjamin
161 International wickets, but no real glory. 2 Test fifties to his name as well, but Benjamin earned his living as a good accurate bowler with good pace.

Keith Arthurton
Perhaps he never truly achieved his potential, but Arthurton played a useful role for the West Indies with bat and ball. He could have done so much more with the bat, but instead settled for a career of usefulness.

Ridley Jacobs
A man who seemed to play above his talent. One of the hardest-working and most under-appreciated cricketers in the modern era. Jacobs was a solid, if unorthodox, gloveman and a determined, if unorthodox, batsman. He authored some of the most outstanding rearguard innings of the last few years.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The first name I thought of was Ash Giles! He's the ultimate "do a job" journeyman international, keeps it tight, bowls a defensive line, can chip in with some decent runs & can be a threat with conditions in his favour.

Going back a bit I guess you could say it of most of the England team of the late 80s-2000, ( :p ) but one name that sticks out is Phil De Freitas. I always thought he was pretty badly served by our selectors: as soon as we hit a blip he was the first out the door. He kept things tight tho, bowled a brisk-ish pace & could move the ball both ways too. Also not a mug with the bat, but was never going to be "the next Botham" which was an albatross round many of our players' necks til Sir Fred came along.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Winston Benjamin made 35 coming in at 167-6 in the second inning at Port of Spain in 94, WI were less than a hundred runs ahead at that point with only Ambrose,Kenny and Walsh to come.

We all know what happened when England went out to bat, but if it wasn't for Winston who knows what would have happened?

twctopcat

International Regular
All i remember of Colin Miller is him bowling like a tosser and getting tonked to all corners of the park in the deciding test of 2001 in Chennai. Prob handy on his day no doubt though.

PY

International Coach
twctopcat said:
All i remember of Colin Miller is him bowling like a tosser and getting tonked to all corners of the park in the deciding test of 2001 in Chennai. Prob handy on his day no doubt though.
Only went for just over 3 an over though and took three wickets.

He's my hero just for the hair. :D

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Damien Fleming. Paul Reiffell.

Both could have been more than just "useful", but never really got the chance, IMO.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Several of the late 80s/early 90s Australian seamers, like Geoff Lawson, Merv Hughes and Craig McDermott. None of them were great, but they were all good servants of Australian cricket and did everything they could to keep Australia competitive and the last two had significant hands in Australia's return to prominance in international cricket.

Fleming and Reiffel too, as Jack said.

Quite a few of the better bits-and-pieces guys in ODI cricket would qualify as well, particularly those who are good in the field like Jonty Rhodes, Roger Harper etc.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Several of the late 80s/early 90s Australian seamers, like Geoff Lawson, Merv Hughes and Craig McDermott. None of them were great, but they were all good servants of Australian cricket and did everything they could to keep Australia competitive and the last two had significant hands in Australia's return to prominance in international cricket.
In the early 90's Craig McDermott was rated as the second-best strike bowler in the world behind Curtly. His peak was short and he was short of great but far better than 'useful'. The guy took 291 Test wickets, after all.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I`m thinking Andy Bichel and Kasper.

Or is it because I'm a Queensland fan?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
First person I thought of was Scott Styris.

Samaraweera is above the "useful" category IMO. Highly under-rated test batsman.

Craig

World Traveller
FaaipDeOiad said:
As Corey said McDermott took 291 Test wickets and yet has never recieved the accolades (apart from here in Queensland) so he could be considered for most under-rated bowler.

thierry henry

International Coach
Scott Styris, I think largely because of his entry into international cricket as a highly unfashionable Gavin Larsen-esque medium pacer, combined with his oft-laughed at ugliness (seriously), will probably never be taken seriously as a cricketer. However, since his transformation into a genuine middle order batsman in about 2002, he has been in the top echelon of ODI all-rounders, averaging 35 with the bat and 25 with the ball over a period in excess of 50 matches, and with several stand-out individual performances to boot. Shahid Afridi, for instance, averages about 10 less with the bat and 10 more with the ball, and yet he is considered a World XI player.

Having said that, I don't think Styris is underrated as a test player. But as an ODI player defnitely. His form in recent years is world class.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Styris is immediately the first name that came to my mind.

McDermott was better than just 'useful'. Much better. Not being a great doesn't mean you're merely useful.