• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who do you think will be a better bet as a test allrounder in future?

nehrafan

Banned
A Flintoff OR S Watson ???

I do think Watson has improved dramatically and can see him playing for Australia when England tours Australia for Ashes series.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Flintoff had already shown he is pretty awesome. Watson should be fairly good. Heavy emphasis on 'should'

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jacob Oram is a better Test bat than both of them......but at this stage not as good with the ball.

Clearly Flintoff is the best Allrounder currently......I see Oram as more of a batting allrounder, a bit like Kallis in the 2nd half of his career.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
zinzan12 said:
Jacob Oram is a better Test bat than both of them......but at this stage not as good with the ball.

Clearly Flintoff is the best Allrounder currently......I see Oram as more of a batting allrounder, a bit like Kallis in the 2nd half of his career.
Oram's bowling is substantially better than Kallis' though.

chris.hinton

International Captain
Watson has not play too many test to say he will be better then Flintoff is just rubbish,..... Flintoff is miles better just becasue Watson had a good Super Series do not mean he better then Freddie

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Flintoff is already a good bet for a test all rounder as he has proved the same.

If we are looking at the best all rounder for the future - 4-5 years from now (a considerable term for the word - future in this regard) Watson or Pathan are the only people I can think of from current lot.

greg

International Debutant
Pratyush said:
Flintoff is already a good bet for a test all rounder as he has proved the same.

If we are looking at the best all rounder for the future - 4-5 years from now (a considerable term for the word - future in this regard) Watson or Pathan are the only people I can think of from current lot.
Dwayne Bravo? (notwithstanding http://media.putfile.com/Flintoff-Sledging ;))

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
at this stage its practically impossibel to say, give Watson another 2 to 3 years then you can be able to make a fair judgement on who can become batter all-rounder.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Watson is a far better FC batsman, but not as good a bowler (still seems to pick up wickets though) so i reakon Watson will probably end up with better stats, but he will never have quite the same impact on a game as Flintoff can due to being a less attacking style player.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pratyush said:

Well there's always Liam Plunkett...

andyc

age_master said:
Watson is a far better FC batsman, but not as good a bowler (still seems to pick up wickets though) so i reakon Watson will probably end up with better stats, but he will never have quite the same impact on a game as Flintoff can due to being a less attacking style player.
Pretty good summing up there Andrew. I think his innings in the last ODI against ROW showed what kind of player he was, very dependable, but when it came to the death he obviously had trouble trying to hit out and score quick boundaries.

Pothas

Watson has really impressed of late. he was great for hampshire and i hope he will come back, clearly we dont know how good he will be but Flintoff is becoming a true great

open365

International Vice-Captain
Watson still looks like a batsman who used to be a bowler and a bowler who used to be a batsman.

Flintoff is equaly as capable with bat and ball,for a person seeing him for the first time,they wouldn't think he was an allrounder where as watson looks like a very good bits and pices player.

i'm not saying he isn't effective,far from it,but i can't see him reaching the same level and flintoff.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
open365 said:
i'm not saying he isn't effective,far from it,but i can't see him reaching the same level and flintoff.
why not if do you remember where what kind of bloke Freddie was 5 years ago he was extremely bits & pieces, Freddie at Watson's age wasn't as good and many people taught he was another Botham fraud but Fletcher saw the potential in him & look where is is now.

His bowling used to be pretty similar to Watson i.e bowling from fairly wide of the crease, back of a lenght & a decent line, good pace but never really threatening until probaly last summer. While his bat was hit & miss for a long time until the 2003 home series.

I've said it once, twice, thrice, a million times all Watson needs is more exposure at this level & all the potential that he is showing in bat & ball will eventually come to the fore....

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
Its really a no win question isnt,it . Flintoff is a proven allrounder ,still (yes still) learning his trade.
He still has to produce on the grounds around the world before he can be considered as a great allrounder as oposed to a very good allrounder.
Wato is at the start of what will hopefully be a fruitful career,but they are poles apart just now and that has got a lot to do with ,like aussie said a few posts up, He needs to be given the chance to prove and improve ,then we will have a beeter view of where watson actually is in the pecking order. He is on the right track as oposed to 1 year ago when it looked bleak,now with the new bowlling style at 145,and he reckons with more and more practice he can nudge the 150 kmh he has the makings of an aussie allrounder. If i was betting man, i would say he's determination and willingness to work hard will get him whereevr he want s to be in the future.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Flintoff is already proven. No one knows how good or bad Watson can be. He hasn't had the opportunities as yet. Maybe we can answer this question at the end of the Australian summer.