• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in India

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It is really heartening to see such a reasonably argued debate on Ganguly from both sides of the divide on this forum This in such dramatic contrast to what is now happening in India after the media decided to make news by orchestrating Ganguly's dropping as if a Tsunami has struck India for all sides.

Pawar has now issued a statement saying he is shocked that ganguly is dropped !

IS Bindra says he would have expected Ganguly to be treaed more gracefully.

Parliament was held up yesterday and parliamentarians are talking about it to the media standing in front of the parliament and spokespersons of all the major parties are being made to express their views.

I am stunned. What kind of hysteria can the media generate?

If they did it when so many terrible things happen and they happen every day in our country AND SUSTAIN IT they can do some good to the country rather than make the team-India wonder whats hit them as they must be as of today.

Last edited:

R_D

International Debutant
anyone read any of the crap written by Snjay Jha on cricketnext.com ?
He's the most biased bloody journalist in this world... he's a Ganguly worshipper obviously but the way he writes is just pathetic and so unprofessional.. i don't know why i even bother reading his articles but if i ever met him face to face... I'd bloody knock his lights out.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
R_D said:
anyone read any of the crap written by Snjay Jha on cricketnext.com ?
He's the most biased bloody journalist in this world... he's a Ganguly worshipper obviously but the way he writes is just pathetic and so unprofessional.. i don't know why i even bother reading his articles but if i ever met him face to face... I'd bloody knock his lights out.
I don't pay attention to anything on cricketnext.com...that site is so unprofessional, it's not worth my time.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
"DRAVID IS THE SILENT ASSASSIN AND CHAPPELL , THE SNAKE IN THE GRASS"

With a name of an article like that, who could possibly take cricketnext seriously? What a joke!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:

With a name of an article like that, who could possibly take cricketnext seriously? What a joke!
Aha ! So finally someone decided to include Dravid in the pantheon of Rakhasaas (demons who fight the Gods in Hindu mythology).

I would love to see if the electronic and print media has the guts to say something on these lines.

PS: I havent read the article, btw, and have no intention to do so :p

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Jono said:

That's even worse than an Indiatimes slideshow!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I just read the business section of 3 Indian newspapers. For sports, cricket news - bookmarking what you like or better adding it to your RSS Reader is a much better option.

dinu23

International Debutant
shows how fragile some indian supporters are. one day he's a has been, the next day he's a hero.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
dinu23 said:
shows how fragile some indian supporters are. one day he's a has been, the next day he's a hero.
Indeed, and that is what I fear for Dravid..Fickle minded Indian fans dont leave any one...

foe

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
SJS said:
It is really heartening to see such a reasonably argued debate on Ganguly from both sides of the divide on this forum This in such dramatic contrast to what is now happening in India after the media decided to make news by orchestrating Ganguly's dropping as if a Tsunami has struck India for all sides.

Pawar has now issued a statement saying he is shocked that ganguly is dropped !

IS Bindra says he would have expected Ganguly to be treaed more gracefully.

Parliament was held up yesterday and parliamentarians are talking about it to the media standing in front of the parliament and spokespersons of all the major parties are being made to express their views.

I am stunned. What kind of hysteria can the media generate?

If they did it when so many terrible things happen and they happen every day in our country AND SUSTAIN IT they can do some good to the country rather than make the team-India wonder whats hit them as they must be as of today.
The amount of support Ganguly has received is truly stunning...But i have to wonder how much of it is genuine and how much is just due to the media created hysteria.

it is ironic that the same news channels which criticised Ganguly just 2 months ago and said he should go and make way for younger talent, are today holding special programs complaining about the treatment meted out to sourav 8-)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
foe said:
The amount of support Ganguly has received is truly stunning...But i have to wonder how much of it is genuine and how much is just due to the media created hysteria.

it is ironic that the same news channels which criticised Ganguly just 2 months ago and said he should go and make way for younger talent, are today holding special programs complaining about the treatment meted out to sourav 8-)
Take it from me it is entirely media created.

If they had decided to take the other side. They could have done equal damage.

But now that Dalmiya is out of power calling him names isnt good copy any more. People would say its over and done with, forget the past and lets get on with the game.

Demonising the current set up is very attractive.

The bitter fight and the enemies that dalmiya made who have managed to upstage him after all these years lend themselves very easily to scandals for there will always be a slice of truth in it when you have characters like Dalmiya, Bindra, raj Singh Dungarpur around.

None of these guys have the interest of the game at heart.

Ganguly is unfortunate to be caught in this but he didnt seem to mind when Dalmiya supported him blindly. Its sad but the hens have come to roost.

Then again the selection committees are such fiascos. There have always been the weak selectors, mainly from the Eastern and Central Zones. These are easiest to manipulate. This is nothing new. The North and West ones are always on opposite sides. So that too is going to fan the flames.

The selectors who lost there jobs are squeeling now. What the public doesnt know is that they are not sacked. They were not selected by their own Zones. This is, of course, because of the board politics. Within the zones also there are team managements taking sides. Thus Delhi and Punjab are on opposite ends within the North Zone. Bindra of Punjab being with Pawar and Jaitley of Delhi being with Dalmiya.

Then Jaitley is a former BJP minister. Pawar is a current congree govt minister. Then Bindra is a former secretary to former president of India Giani Zail Singh who was a congree leader himself and a former home minister.

It is too complicated.

The players have become pawns, some willingly and some by accident.

Then there are those vying for the coach's position from ex cricketers including two legends of Indian cricket. They are subtly pulling the strings against Chappell.

Then there is the huge, huge enough to bring down governments in some smaller countries, money involved in BCCI and running of cricket in India. It is money that God alone knows about. The scandals talked of are staggering in dimension.

Everyone wants a cake of the pie.

Lets not think that if a few tens of thousands of dollars can buy cricketers of repute who put their careers at stake, the millions at stake are not going to cause others, without careers to worry about any more, not get involved irrespective of whats good for Indian cricket.

The media has its own axe to grind.

The Zee group was jipped out of their successful bid of I think 350 million USD by Dalmiya. Now the current dispensation has given it to them. Can you imagine what it means.

The others, mainly Star group are up in arms. They dont care what happens to the team as long as they can malign the new set up, get the politicians involved and maybe get some kind of reversal made.

This is not about Ganguly, its about money. The public and the fans and their fickle sentiments are being traded and they are uncomprehending accomplices in the whole affair.

The whole system is rotten. Someone needs to clean it up. But one doesnt see it happening in the near future. I havent heard one voice of sanity from amongst those in power or those with influence as yet and we are going to play a test from tomorrow.

BTW, I believe the new contracts are coming out for renewal and keeping someone out or in can make a huge difference in assured millions to the affected players.

Now tell me is it funny, is it tragic ? Whatever it is its a royal mess.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
dravid will most likely miss the 3rd test...a big blow for india which leaves a big hole in the top order even with the return of sehwag...hopefully india can hold off the lankans and win the series....

adharcric

International Coach
This is ironic. With Dravid out, Ganguly would've been moved into the playing XI. Instead, he was dropped on grounds that there was no room for another middle-order batsman. I guess Kaif is the lucky one here.

foe

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
SJS said:
Then again the selection committees are such fiascos. There have always been the weak selectors, mainly from the Eastern and Central Zones. These are easiest to manipulate. This is nothing new. The North and West ones are always on opposite sides. So that too is going to fan the flames.

The selectors who lost there jobs are squeeling now. What the public doesnt know is that they are not sacked. They were not selected by their own Zones. This is, of course, because of the board politics. Within the zones also there are team managements taking sides. Thus Delhi and Punjab are on opposite ends within the North Zone. Bindra of Punjab being with Pawar and Jaitley of Delhi being with Dalmiya.

Then Jaitley is a former BJP minister. Pawar is a current congree govt minister. Then Bindra is a former secretary to former president of India Giani Zail Singh who was a congree leader himself and a former home minister.

It is too complicated.

well, as it turns out , the sacking of 3 selectors had nothing to do with the fact that they supported Sourav.. Yashpal Sharma was dropped because his DElhi cricket assoc. sided with Dalmiya...so he was replaced by Bhupinder Singh, whose home Association (Punjab) voted for Pawar...same was the case with Gopal Sharma (UP) who was replaced by Sanjay Jagdale (MP)

As far as the media frenzy goes, it was interesting that the Star news channel held a program called "Match ke mujrim" (Villian of the match,literally translated) after each of India's games in the last few series n invariably they would hold Saurav responsible for India's defeats...Now all of a sudden they are singing a different tune with Programs like "Mahaan Kaptaan ka Apmaan" (Insult to a great captain) :D
i guess anything to grab eyeballs

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well if Sehwag plays we avoid the captaincy mess. He better play, because as I said earlier, Dravid and Sehwag have comfortably been our best bats for the past 24 months. Missing them both will severely hurt the team.

Kaif and Yuvraj in the same test team will be a good look into the future though. Particularly since they will both be playing in the middle order which is where they are suited.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wow Vaas is out with the fever, and is replaced by Malinga. Tharanga is also in the team ahead of Gunawardene.

Vaas is a huge blow to SL. Even without Dravid I like India's chances here because there is even more added pressure on Murali.

Sehwag has won the toss and elected to bat. It feels good seeing him opening again :D

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
The SL line up is an absolute Mess IMO.

Vaas down with the Wog ! Replaced by Malinga but WTF is Maharoof doing in the Test Team !! :wacko: :@