• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

magsi23

U19 Debutant
what a stupid selection, i cant possibly beleive inzamam was not picked both in test and ODI, on what basis Sachin Tendulkar was picked? i thought selection was based on last 12 months form and not the entire career, no one doubts that Lara and Sachin are great players but Sachin havent even played much cricket lately and still not sure when he will be returning to international cricket, and lara is not evem picked by their own cricket board for whatever reason, so for me that was very poor selection, very very disappoited :@

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FaaipDeOiad said:
I wish I could work out why Gibbs was picked over Inzamam for the ODIs. It's not like Gibbs has had roaring success against Australia, both have been decent, but Inzamam generally better, particularly in the shorter form.
Because Gibbs is an infinitely better fielder.

magsi23

U19 Debutant
Agree 100% Sangakara i think is best wicket keeper batsmen after Gilchrist if not better, sorry mate team is picked on the basis of bowling and batting, just because Gibbs can run fast doesnt justify his selection. its a game of cricket not a olympic 100 meter race, greame smith as a Captain against ricky ponting? dont think so, he was just humiliated by Asia xi in afro asia cup

Swervy

International Captain
magsi23 said:
Agree 100% Sangakara i think is best wicket keeper batsmen after Gilchrist if not better, sorry mate team is picked on the basis of bowling and batting, just because Gibbs can run fast doesnt justify his selection. its a game of cricket not a olympic 100 meter race, greame smith as a Captain against ricky ponting? dont think so, he was just humiliated by Asia xi in afro asia cup
who says its just picjked on batting and bowling!!!! Gibbs is a very good ODI batsman and is a very fine fielder..cant see the problem.

Smith also is a fine captain

greg

International Debutant
magsi23 said:
Smith may not be the world's most imaginative captain but your implication that he's coming up against a giant of the captaincy world seems a bit misguided. :huh:

magsi23

U19 Debutant
Swervy said:
who says its just picjked on batting and bowling!!!! Gibbs is a very good ODI batsman and is a very fine fielder..cant see the problem.

Smith also is a fine captain

Ok well what would you say boucher over sangakara? i just dont think this team has what it takes to beat ausssies

Toecrusher

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Steulen said:
Some observations (too lazy to read the thread, so if it's a bland rehash of things already said...meh)

2) With Flintoff and Pollock shoe-ins, I would expect it to be a straight race between Harmison and Akhtar for the final pace spot. I'd prefer Harmison because Akhtar will probably fake an injury to protect his bowling average.
I certainly dont think Pollock is a shoe-in, if he was he woulda been made the Test captain as well. Anyway in my opinion, Pollock shouldn't be in the Test side period.....his 125mph trundlers just aren't good enough to get Aussies out at home....Akhtar, Flintoff, Harmison, Murali and Vettori should be enough.

And the Boucher selection too is wierd. He has done zilch against Australia........plus can he read Murali doosra?

magsi23

U19 Debutant
greg said:
Smith may not be the world's most imaginative captain but your implication that he's coming up against a giant of the captaincy world seems a bit misguided. :huh:

Well i think we shouldnt base this on recent ashes, i support England my self, but i still think Ricky Ponting and Greame Smith are not in same league, Ricky is better captain by far then greame also better batsman

greg

International Debutant
magsi23 said:
Ok well what would you say boucher over sangakara? i just dont think this team has what it takes to beat ausssies
Some suggestion that Sangakarra might have been left out so that Tendulkar, Lara, Kallis and Dravid HAVE to be picked (political).

Swervy

International Captain
magsi23 said:
yeah I agree Boucher over sanga is a bit odd...but I reckon the team is strong enough to beat Australia....will be a great game/series i think

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
cameeel said:
No Chris Gayle, i would have thought he'd be a good selection, he's a better batsman then Pieterson
I wouldn't say that, as they're different types of player, but I can't work out how he's not in the side, considering he's a World Class ODI all-rounder.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Toecrusher said:
I certainly dont think Pollock is a shoe-in, if he was he woulda been made the Test captain as well. Anyway in my opinion, Pollock shouldn't be in the Test side period.....his 125mph trundlers just aren't good enough to get Aussies out at home....Akhtar, Flintoff, Harmison, Murali and Vettori should be enough.

And the Boucher selection too is wierd. He has done zilch against Australia........plus can he read Murali doosra?
Pollock wouldn't be named captain ahead of Smith considering Smith is South Africa's captain.

Steulen

International Regular
Toecrusher said:

That bowling line-up would be in deep trouble whenever a decent partnership develops. Akhtar is out of breath after three overs (mind you, he's then nearly completed the marathon), Flintoff and Harmison are also more strike bowlers than occupiers.
Pollock is the closest the World XI can get to having their own McGrath. Lightning speed is irrelevant in that role.
The reason he's not Test captain is that there is an actual international captain already in the line-up in Smith.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
greg said:
Some suggestion that Sangakarra might have been left out so that Tendulkar, Lara, Kallis and Dravid HAVE to be picked (political).
Interesting point, and actually I can see the validity in it.

Except then they'll be a bowler light IMO, since Flintoff at 7 means they can only play 1 spinner or risk an attack with 2 frontliners and Kallis (who probably won't feel like bowling since it's good opposition)

howardj

International Coach
Pollock will definitely not play

And either Vettori or Kallis will sit out, depending on the pitch

greg

International Debutant
Steulen said:
That bowling line-up would be in deep trouble whenever a decent partnership develops. Akhtar is out of breath after three overs (mind you, he's then nearly completed the marathon), Flintoff and Harmison are also more strike bowlers than occupiers.
Pollock is the closest the World XI can get to having their own McGrath. Lightning speed is irrelevant in that role.
The reason he's not Test captain is that there is an actual international captain already in the line-up in Smith.
Flintoff is consistently the bowler who bowls the most overs in England games. (although i admit that doesn't mean as much in a five man attack)

Swervy

International Captain
Steulen said:
That bowling line-up would be in deep trouble whenever a decent partnership develops. Akhtar is out of breath after three overs (mind you, he's then nearly completed the marathon), Flintoff and Harmison are also more strike bowlers than occupiers.Pollock is the closest the World XI can get to having their own McGrath. Lightning speed is irrelevant in that role.
its funny how peoples perceptions change..Flintoff is more than capable of bowling long spells, it was only 18 months ago when people considered Flintoff to be a keep it tight at one end type of bowler