• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Super Series

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Demolition Man said:
His average in ODIs is bordering on the ridiculious and he is closely approaching the minimum games requirment to be listed in the best averages of all-time. 8 more innings and he will go number 1 in the all-time ODI batting averages.
I remember thinking that about Samaraweera. Enough said.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
whiaaaaa great batting from Australia again Hussey just keeps impressing & Watson :D has now come good with the bat, he is starting to reveal his true all-round potential now.
Yeah, during that innings I just kept thinking that he's come a long way, and hopefully he'll continue to improve

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
zinzan12 said:
I reckon.....you only have to look at the series stats to see that....in fact their stats are almost identical
The stats may be identical, but Murali generally was bowling at times when the Aussies were going hammer and tongs at the start of the innings and he usually tied the run rate down or (nearly always) made the breakthrough before things got a little easier for Vettori to come in to the game !! :)

Natman20

International Debutant
I think they should try 2 call up bond for the test match! Whos the captain for the tests? is it still Pollock? I would give the captaincy to Lara, Dravid or possibly Vettori as he has been captain a couple times before to.

Knopfler

School Boy/Girl Captain
JASON said:
Another piece of Lame Captaincy by South Africa's Shaun Pollock.

Murali had the Aussies tied and the run rate under 5 , after 3 wickets had fallen in quick succession and every prospect of getting into the Aussie lower order , and what does pollock do - he takes Murali off the attack !!

How stupid is that !! There was every chance of taking a few more wickets and he(Pollock) can't even get that right !!
There is often the idea to save a few overs from the bowlers that are doing well. I agree with you though, if a bowler is going well and have just picked up a couple of wickets, keep them on. Its better getting a wicket now than getting one later.

Happens to McGrath a lot. He will bowl his first 7 overs for 10 odd runs, and then the captain will save him to later. His last three overs will then go for over 20 runs when it would have been better to bowl him out to the batsmen that are struggling against him and get either some wickets or go for nearly nothing.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I mean people would disagree about Bond coming into the team..but is anyone really surprised that Shoaib got hammered? if he doesn't get it from the first ball, he loses the plot.
I can't see Ntini or Pollock doing anything special at the moment.
I think they just need to stick with who they've got, its just unfortunate that Bond only came back recently.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
andyc said:
Smith's the captain in the tests
Another Lame Captaincy choice and World XI's poor performances so far have been contributed in no small way by the lame South African captaincy and I see it continue on to the Test, whch if anything will be an even bigger one sided Flop !! :D

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
andyc said:
Yeah, during that innings I just kept thinking that he's come a long way, and hopefully he'll continue to improve
yep this knock today gave me the same feeling like when Freddie scored on his 1st big innings with the bat (84 vs ****, at Karachi) that yes this bloke can be the next big thing for England, now all Watson needs is to build on this..

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just going back to Watson, I think he's been a real revelation this series, he's been bowling at 140 k and the innings today was exactly what was needed. So far he's hit 74 runs from two innings (an average of 74, helped by the not out today), and has taken 4 wickets at 24.75.

tooextracool

International Coach
JASON said:
Another piece of Lame Captaincy by South Africa's Shaun Pollock.
pollock has been a poor captain all his career, and his selection over dravid for the captaincy was just another very very poor move. why on earth he bowled 7 overs on the trot despite getting hammered all over the park i'll never understand.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I couldn't see Dravid doing any better to be honest, in this series.
To give the World XI captaincy to Dravid when he's never been a regular captain for India would be ridiculous.

tooextracool

International Coach
andyc said:
Just going back to Watson, I think he's been a real revelation this series, he's been bowling at 140 k and the innings today was exactly what was needed. So far he's hit 74 runs from two innings (an average of 74, helped by the not out today), and has taken 4 wickets at 24.75.
i'll give you that he looks to be a decent batsman, but anyone suggesting that hes actually bowled well this series is seriously out of his mind.

tooextracool

International Coach
Tim said:
I couldn't see Dravid doing any better to be honest, in this series.
arguable, but i doubt dravid would make some of the utterly stupid bowling changes and field placements that pollock has made in this series.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Slow Love™ said:
No love lost between Murali and Hair when that LBW was turned down, was there?

Looks like a good 50 coming up for Watson, here. Hussey hasn't missed a bit lately and has looked the part.
May be I made a mistake earlier !! This is what I was referring to . It may have been Watson who seemed Plumb LBW in his 20s or 30s !!

But Hair did not refer it or give it !!

It was absolutely PLUMB !

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Tim said:
Yeah, I mean people would disagree about Bond coming into the team..but is anyone really surprised that Shoaib got hammered? if he doesn't get it from the first ball, he loses the plot..
honestly i didn't think he would get so much hammer, after seeing him bowl for Asia, then bowling well in his little stint for Durham then having those economical figures vs Victoria i thought he could have been a treat