• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best spinner other than Warne & Murali

Best spinner apart from Warne & Murali

• Kumble

Votes: 45 36.6%
  • Harbajan

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Kaneria

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • Saqlain

Votes: 13 10.6%
  • Macgill

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • Vettori

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Giles

Votes: 9 7.3%

• Total voters

shaka

International Regular
My pick is MacGill, I think he would have done very well if he had not lived in Australia or been around in the Warne era.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
MacGill.

I have always seen Kumble as a bowler whose success has exceeded his talent. And full credit to him. However, this success, in my opinion, has been buoyed by favourible pitch conditions and his loooooooong long bowling spells. Macgill is the reverse in my opinion.

Having said all that, both are fine spinners.

C_C

International Captain
benchmark00 said:
MacGill.

I have always seen Kumble as a bowler whose success has exceeded his talent. And full credit to him. However, this success, in my opinion, has been buoyed by favourible pitch conditions and his loooooooong long bowling spells. Macgill is the reverse in my opinion.

Having said all that, both are fine spinners.

You'd notice that McGill's style of bowling actually is aided more in aussie conditions than Indian conditions.....McGill relies a lot on bounce, something that is lacking in Indian pitches most of the time. Plus Indian pitches mostly aid bowlers who can mix it up and deliveries like the topspinner, googly, etc. are more potent on the Indian pitches than the standard leg break or the offbreak.

I dont think McGill would've done any better and infact he has done a lot better than others simply because he's had an excellent bowling support. He bowls too many rubbish balls per spell and as such, gives away the momentum readily. Its one thing succeeding against batsmen who at best are hesitant against spin, its quiete another succeeding against batsmen who have spin for lunch and dinner.

Infact, seeing S.Rajesh's article in crickinfo ( Australia minus McGrath), a case can be made that Shane Warne without mcGrath is no better/marginally better than Kumble.

benchmark00

C_C said:
You'd notice that McGill's style of bowling actually is aided more in aussie conditions than Indian conditions.....McGill relies a lot on bounce, something that is lacking in Indian pitches most of the time. Plus Indian pitches mostly aid bowlers who can mix it up and deliveries like the topspinner, googly, etc. are more potent on the Indian pitches than the standard leg break or the offbreak.

I dont think McGill would've done any better and infact he has done a lot better than others simply because he's had an excellent bowling support. He bowls too many rubbish balls per spell and as such, gives away the momentum readily. Its one thing succeeding against batsmen who at best are hesitant against spin, its quiete another succeeding against batsmen who have spin for lunch and dinner.

Infact, seeing S.Rajesh's article in crickinfo ( Australia minus McGrath), a case can be made that Shane Warne without mcGrath is no better/marginally better than Kumble.
So are you saying MacGill doesnt have a good googly and top spinner?

I think in the past day it was described as a 'Majestic googly'.

C_C

International Captain
So are you saying MacGill doesnt have a good googly and top spinner?

I think in the past day it was described as a 'Majestic googly'
His top spinner was pretty lame actually......and his googly would've been the best in the world if he was proficient in the art of Line and Length.....he wasted far too many googlies by bowling it down the wrong line or halfway down the pitch...

benchmark00

C_C said:
His top spinner was pretty lame actually......and his googly would've been the best in the world if he was proficient in the art of Line and Length.....he wasted far too many googlies by bowling it down the wrong line or halfway down the pitch...
I dont see why youre talking about him in the past tense... I think we'll see at Old Trafford how he's going. But believe me, in my opinion, given the same opportunities as others, he wouldve been more potent than Kumble.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
C_C said:

Fine bowler that he is, an average of over 35 in tests outside India (where he takes 5 wickets per match @ 23), really doesnt allow for comparisons to be made with Warne on any level.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Kumble than Macgill, Vettori is smart but doesn't penetrate - which shows in his test bowling average.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I've voted Anil Kumble but Vettori is fairly unlucky not to recieve my vote considering the skill he's been bowling with lately. Kumble was simply a legend during the 90s and early this decade so he thoroughly deserves to win IMO.

Shoaib

Banned
Neil Pickup said:
Saqqy isn't even in the Pakistan squad any more, can't believe he's #3 in the world...
He would be in the Pakistan's squad for upcoming series against England.He's definitly no.3 as none of the other spinners can have an average of 21.78 even if they play cricket for next 30 years.His test average of 28 is better than any of the other bowlers in the list.

Last edited:

C_C

International Captain
Fine bowler that he is, an average of over 35 in tests outside India (where he takes 5 wickets per match @ 23), really doesnt allow for comparisons to be made with Warne on any level.
True, i consider Murali to be a whole league ahead of the rest, followed by Warne in the distance, who is closely followed by Kumble.
I rate Warne superior because he is a bit more versatile overseas. But it is worth keeping in mind that Kumble operates in a mediocre bowling outfit and Warne in an excellent one and without McGrath ( ie, when Aussie attack doesnt look oh-so-untouchable), Warne averages pretty much the same as Kumble - 27+ change. I suspect that if you take away Gillespie as well, there wont be much to seperate between Kumble and Warney apart from Warney being a bit superior overseas.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Shoaib said:
He would be in the Pakistan's squad for upcoming series against England.He's definitly no.3 as none of the other spinners can have an average of 21.78 even if they play cricket for next 30 years.His test average of 28 is better than any of the other bowlers in the list.
Saqlain's Test average is 29.84..higher than Kumble's 28.23 and MacGill's 28.83.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
C_C said:
True, i consider Murali to be a whole league ahead of the rest, followed by Warne in the distance, who is closely followed by Kumble.
I rate Warne superior because he is a bit more versatile overseas. But it is worth keeping in mind that Kumble operates in a mediocre bowling outfit and Warne in an excellent one and without McGrath ( ie, when Aussie attack doesnt look oh-so-untouchable), Warne averages pretty much the same as Kumble - 27+ change. I suspect that if you take away Gillespie as well, there wont be much to seperate between Kumble and Warney apart from Warney being a bit superior overseas.
True, to an extent IMO. Kumble did a lot of bowling with Srinath, who is at least in Gillespie's class, if not better, and Prasad has been equal to, if not better than any of the third pacers (Bichel, Lee, Kasper [who really has only had 1 year of good bowling at Test level, for what it's worth], and touch and go with Reiffell and Fleming).

C_C

International Captain
benchmark00 said:
I dont see why youre talking about him in the past tense... I think we'll see at Old Trafford how he's going. But believe me, in my opinion, given the same opportunities as others, he wouldve been more potent than Kumble.
I dont think he would've been as potent as Kumble.
Infact, i think his stats are overly generous to him, given that he has bashed up on teams that are substandard against spin and done pretty much nothing against teams that are excellent against spin.
The reason i dont think McGill would amount to much is because of his poor control.
A spinner's accuracy is one of his biggest weapons and McGill is just a bit more accurate than Tendulkar. True, he spins the ball a mile and has a very potent googly when he can land it on the proper spot but he hardly ever does and as such, batsmen who are excellent against spin dont find him as much a challenge as they find Kumble.
Kumble on the other hand is extremely accurate, has probably the best top spinner in the game ( atleast before his shoulder surgery) and extremely proficient at subtle variations.

C_C

International Captain
vic_orthdox said:
True, to an extent IMO. Kumble did a lot of bowling with Srinath, who is at least in Gillespie's class, if not better, and Prasad has been equal to, if not better than any of the third pacers (Bichel, Lee, Kasper [who really has only had 1 year of good bowling at Test level, for what it's worth], and touch and go with Reiffell and Fleming).

Mmm i wouldnt put Srinath in Gillespie's class.....more like in the same bracket as Ntini. And Prasad ? he had a worldclass leg-cutter but apart from that, not much difference between Steve Waugh the bowler and Prasad.....i thikn its seriously demeaning to Bichel/Lee/Kasper/Fleming to be considered equal to Prasad.