• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Freddie Flintoff 'Eat Your Words' Thread

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Shane Warne said:
It happened, but was pretty meaningless.

It would be like England without Flintoff and Harmison.

The only difference would be that India would thrash you though if that were the case.
It's meaningless because Australia were exposed as having no strength in depth?

cpr

International Coach
Shane Warne said:

yeah?? YOU try getting Harmison to play anywhere past Dover..........

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well I had pretty good vibes for him bowling well this series and I'm happy to see such high-standard stuff from him with the ball but I honestly expected Warnie to wreck him and after the second dig at Lords, it appeared he was right on track. But he batted well for England in the first dig and the second-innings knock was just incredible. I don't know whether he'll get a ton this series but this has been Freddie's match.

biased indian

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Which therefore suggests Australia are a one man team...
i thought u already knew that

if any doubt look for a thread involving the following words "india australia and india had a better performance" and u will find that u yourself had posted like that :D

its bad to have a bad memory :blink:

biased indian

International Coach
Shane Warne said:

The only difference would be that India would thrash you though if that were the case.
which we will do 98 of 100 times even if they have all the players if the series is in india :)

biased indian

International Coach
Flintoff did bowl superbly. his first over was wonderful were he got two wickets

but on his batting i would he just got lucky today there was no Macgrath he didnt attack warne and
the others just was noy upto it.i would say if he continues with his perofrmance in the remaining three test i will change my words

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Swervy said:
zinzan..where are you...

zinzan the other day:

''It seems kind of ironic that after all the hype about the mighty "Flintoff" in the lead up to the ashes and the incredible talking down of Brett lee and his ability at test level that it is Lee that comes out of this First test with a good amount of credit as opposed to Flintoff whose performance was below par.

Admittedly its only the first test, but apart from out foxing Gilchrist, Flintoffs bowling in the conditions was disappointing. He went for around 5 an over in the 2nd innings. Not to mention his total of 3 runs in 2 innings with the bat.

I know its only early days in the series, but I can't imagine Flintoff's confidence is sky high, whereas I think Lee will only get more confidence.

Haven't heard much from the likes of Marc and TEC on Flintoff and Lee's performance so far, I'm interested to read their reactions

Whoops....almost forgot to mention the dolly Flintoff put down at slip and Lee's great caught and bowled.

Oh the irony !!! ''

This is the kind of thing I was talking about!!!!

Unlike the Lee critics....I'm happy to put my hand up a say Flintoff was superb. Now its a test of whether he's consistent or not. He's now had one average test and one excellent one. Lets see if he can stand up for the rest of the series

Having said that if England lost this match with the last minute Mcgrath injury and the crazy ponting decision to bowl first, it would have been really sad.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Flintoff was superb, no doubt. As I've said countless times in the Ashes and NWS threads, Flintoff = King :D

It's great seeing someone so talented meet his potential, let's hope he continues that because its great for cricket. We need more talented all rounders :)

Craig

World Traveller
I'm now a converted Flintoff fan - which you couldn't say about me even 1 or 2 years ago.

Craig

World Traveller
tooextracool said:
that makes bradman the best all rounder ever.
kallis cant bowl, and the sooner people realise that hes rubbish the better.
How is it possible he suddenly cannot bowl - it is the sort of thing a 13 year old would say.

I mean he is doing alright to take 183 Test wickets and 'can't bowl'. Is he rubbish now? Yes he is, was he for more then half of his career - certainly not.

Since he has placed more emphasis on his batting, his bowling has dropped away - simple.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Craig said:
How is it possible he suddenly cannot bowl - it is the sort of thing a 13 year old would say.

I mean he is doing alright to take 183 Test wickets and 'can't bowl'. Is he rubbish now? Yes he is, was he for more then half of his career - certainly not.

Since he has placed more emphasis on his batting, his bowling has dropped away - simple.
Kallis has a chronic knee problem and rarely, if ever, is able to bowl at full capacity nowadays.

Added to the fact that all emphasis is rightly on his batting and he is not as effective as he once was.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It might be more appropriate to have PLAIN
The 'Eat Your Words' Thread

For all of us who have shoved our feet invariably and oh-so-painfully in our mouths. Why just about Flintoff ?

King_Ponting

International Regular
most people havent predicted a whitewash... More a 3-1 result, which is going directly to plan. One must remeber tho that this test is being played at Edgbaston, a traditional weak point for the aussies, i think that issue has flown over a few peoples heads.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Shane Warne said:
And if you add up their combined worth, it amounts to almost half of Mcgrath's.

Well in your world when McGrath retire (and then Shane Warne) Australia will be rubbish?

King_Ponting

International Regular
yep actually that is what he thinks. To quote him from another thread "England will win their next home ashes series 5-0"

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
biased indian said:
Flintoff did bowl superbly. his first over was wonderful were he got two wickets

but on his batting i would he just got lucky today there was no Macgrath he didnt attack warne and
the others just was noy upto it.i would say if he continues with his perofrmance in the remaining three test i will change my words
I daresay the really top world bowlers (Pathan, Khan, Nehra and AA) would show Flintoff up for the journeyman plodder he is, seeing as in your previous post you suggest that India would win 98 out of 100

( :p )

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
King_Ponting said:
most people havent predicted a whitewash... More a 3-1 result, which is going directly to plan. One must remeber tho that this test is being played at Edgbaston, a traditional weak point for the aussies, i think that issue has flown over a few peoples heads.
Let's lay this ghost for once and for all, shall we?

Going through all the test grounds in England in turn, the following are the summaries from the English perspective:

W-L-D
0-1-0 Bramall Lane, Sheffield
4-3-4 Edgbaston, Brummy Git Town
7-8-8 Headingley, Dirty Leeds
5-14-14 Lord's, Down t'Smoke
7-7-13 Old Trafford, Tampa Bay
0-0-0 Riverside, Oop North
15-6-12 Oval, Down t'Smoke
3-7-9 Trent Bridge, Snottingham

So England can consider the Oval to be a 'lucky' ground (15-6), but this is countered by Lord's (5-14) and Trent Bridge (3-7). Edgbaston, Headingley and Old Trafford are even Stevens.