• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which doosra was better?

C_C

International Captain
Richard said:
All they ever said was it did so within the time studied. Unless I'm very much mistaken they did not say they've studied every Sarwan delivery bowled in Tests and ODIs?

Yes but this is really arguing over chump change.
For one, Sarwan is not a regular bowler
For two, unless his action has changed radically before or after the testing period or his body has changed radically, i dont see any reason to assume that he isnt bowling like this since he's played cricket seriously.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Yes but this is really arguing over chump change.
For one, Sarwan is not a regular bowler
For two, unless his action has changed radically before or after the testing period or his body has changed radically, i dont see any reason to assume that he isnt bowling like this since he's played cricket seriously.
Because bowlers vary their deliveries both conciously and unconciously. Sarwan bowls spin, I'm sure he's attempted to develop some form of variation in his bowling, and I'm sure he bowls his variations differently.

Anyway, it's largely moot as I don't care much about the exact number of degrees that a bowler flexes his elbow when bowling, but I very much doubt that Sarwan never flexes at all.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
Because actions change without the bowler noticing it all the time.
They change from ball to ball, from over to over.
God knows how many different angles bowlers use to deliver the countless thousands of balls they bowl (even part-timers) in a career.
As Sean points-out, of course, that isn't remotely important as long as it remains below 15 degrees, but that wasn't my bugbear - rather that people talk as if it had been proven that Sarwan never breaks the old ideals when it's near certain that he does.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
Murali has the best thrown doosra I've ever seen
Since Murali's Wrong-'Un is totally different to any other bowler there has ever been (rather as his stock-ball is totally different to that of any other bowler there has ever been) so how is that surprising?

Legglancer

State Regular
marc71178 said:
I think you've been caught out by the thread digger.
Unfotunately Some people have a Life. You can have a 1000000000 posts of juvenile illogical thoughts which amounts to nil ....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
I think you've been caught out by the thread digger.
Because of course you can be caught-out on thread-digging by reading a comment posted on the same day. 8-) (as steds' was)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Legglancer clearly quoted from a post by steds... which suggests that he was replying to steds.

goldstein

Cricket Spectator
I liked Saqlain's, although it is debateable whether it actually 'spun' the other way.

The man himself once said even he didn't know which way it would go, where he implied that it was dependent upon which part of the seam the ball landed.

From what I have seen of him, Saqqi was at his best in Hobart (twice) when coincidentally (or maybe not) Waqar had wicked reverse swing at the other end. He didn't seem to get the doosra going in all matches either, which tends to lend weight to this theory.

Maybe his doosra was part seam, occasional reverse swing rather than pure spin.