• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which doosra was better?

Shoaib

Banned
C_C said:
And Saqqi wasnt the originator of the doosra.
Then was it u the originator of doosra?Murali's doosra is definitly better than that of Saqlain's but saying that originator of doosra was someone else other than saqlain is pure rubbish.Saqlain used to take many of his wickets from doosra.Moin Khan has the habit of passing useless comments to bowlers & fielders from behind the stumps.It was he who used to advise saqlain when to bowl doosra.I heard him lot of times saying "Saqlain! doosra ball karo" which means "Saqlain! bowl the special dellivery".The literal meanings of doosra are second (2nd) or unique but when Moin used to say those words it meant special/unique ball.Doosra is purely a word of Urdu which is the national language of Pakistan & not that of India or Srilanka.The opposition batsmen did not know the meanings of Doosra so they thought its the special name of saqlain's mystery ball.Thats how Saqlain's mystery ball got its name.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sure it was Saqlain and Pakistan who named the ball, almost everyone knows that, but there's no reason to presume Saqlain invented it, certainly as it's known for certain that Eripalli Prasanna and, probably, Sonny Ramadhin bowled a ball that behaved in a similar way.
We all know that Harbhajan copied Saqlain because the ball is bowled in the exact same way, and it's quite possible that either Saqlain copied Prasanna or he devised it on his own intuition.
What we also know is that Murali's Wrong-'Un has nothing whatsoever to do with any other ball.

C_C

International Captain
Shoaib said:
Then was it u the originator of doosra?Murali's doosra is definitly better than that of Saqlain's but saying that originator of doosra was someone else other than saqlain is pure rubbish.Saqlain used to take many of his wickets from doosra.Moin Khan has the habit of passing useless comments to bowlers & fielders from behind the stumps.It was he who used to advise saqlain when to bowl doosra.I heard him lot of times saying "Saqlain! doosra ball karo" which means "Saqlain! bowl the special dellivery".The literal meanings of doosra are second (2nd) or unique but when Moin used to say those words it meant special/unique ball.Doosra is purely a word of Urdu which is the national language of Pakistan & not that of India or Srilanka.The opposition batsmen did not know the meanings of Doosra so they thought its the special name of saqlain's mystery ball.Thats how Saqlain's mystery ball got its name.

As Richard said - Saqlain may've named the ball but bowlers like Sonny Ramadhin and Erapalli Prasanna have bowled it before.

PS: 'doosra' means 'the other one' - both in Urdu and Hindi.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Which of course is why you quoted from the post by Legglancer... 8-)
Yes, I quoted from Legglancer's response to a post made ages ago and that he only replied to because someone decided it was time to go digging.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I repeat - Legglancer's response was not to a post made ages ago, it was to one made the same day, by steds.
Incidentally, the le post was hardly made "ages" ago, just 3 weeks or something before the steds\Legglancer ones.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
I repeat - Legglancer's response was not to a post made ages ago, it was to one made the same day, by steds.
Incidentally, the le post was hardly made "ages" ago, just 3 weeks or something before the steds\Legglancer ones.
And since I am the one who quoted it - post number 43 if you want to look. 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Aha, yes indeed.
Don't really see that he can have been caught-out by thread-digging, given that he just replied to a post barely 3 weeks before his reply.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
How does that classify being "caught-out"? He saw something and replied to it, you can only have been "caught-out" if something had ceased to be relevant in the time between the post and the post replying.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
I think Murali's doosra has been morre effective for him in both forms of the game especially sicne he mastered it when England were their in 2003, while Saqlain got more wickets with his doosra in ODI cricket than in tests i think....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
I think Murali's doosra has been morre effective for him in both forms of the game especially sicne he mastered it when England were their in 2003, while Saqlain got more wickets with his doosra in ODI cricket than in tests i think....
But it's not a fair comparison - they're totally different balls.
Saqlain was (and possibly still is) a good ODI bowler on any surface, and was (and possibly still is) a good Test bowler only on turners.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Richard said:
Err, yes, has been ever since they lanced the false ideals.
There is no way to prove it is false. It may be false in your opinion, but the experts feel differently and they have taken the experts word.

C_C

International Captain
honestbharani said:
There is no way to prove it is false. It may be false in your opinion, but the experts feel differently and they have taken the experts word.

????

The mere fact that Murali is considered a chucker while McGrath ( who extends about the same) is considered to have a pristine action underlines the fact that the naked eye cannot be the judge to elbow flexions while bowling....and categoric research has proved that the old laws are impractical and redundant because almost every single bowler flexes his elbow while delivering the ball.
Therefore, the old opinions have essentially been rubbished by expert opinions.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
honestbharani said:
Eh? It was the experts who proved the old ideals false - they found that all bowlers flex elbows in delivery.
It's false in fact - people used to believe that all bowlers bowled with 100% straight elbows. Now we know no-one does.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Richard said:
Muralitharan's Doosra is a totally different ball to those of Saqlain and Harbhajan, and presumably of Prasanna and Ramadhin.
Whether Saqlain in "rediscovering" (rather than inventing) the Doosra copied Prasanna or used his own intuitive would be fascinating to know.
Oh, and anyone who thinks the Doosra "cannot be purveyed legally" should remember that no delivery can be purveyed legally by the old, false, ideals.
No delivery Richard?

Please explain such a statement made by you with proper evidence.