• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Martin Crowe Vs Mark Waugh

C_C

International Captain
Yeah.
That is why i still consider Viv to be the best ODI player ever, despite the fact that Tendy has achieved a lot more and played nearly 3 times as much.
Zaheer Abbass would rank in there too and so would Jonesey but they didnt play nearly enough IMO to be tested in the way Viv or Tendy were.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Top_Cat said:
Mark Waugh: 244 matches, 8500 runs, Ave: 39.35 HS: 173, 18 100's and 50 50's.
Martin Crowe: 143 matches, 4704 runs, Ave: 38.55 HS: 107*, 4 100's and 34 50's.

The averages are close but considering Crowe batted at 3 generally, 4 hundreds is less than he probably should have gotten.
Not sure if you can really compare the 2 because of the evolution of the rules of the game that made runs a lot more frequent as time goes on.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
I would take Waugh every time, just for the pleasure of his batting.

It must be remembered that Crowe was exposed to Test Cricket far to early, so his average suffers as a result.
Yet still averages better than Waugh...

archie mac

International Coach
Voltman said:
Yet still averages better than Waugh...
I was not trying to disparage Crowe, with my comment, but pointing out that his Test average would have been even better. I just prefered to watch Mark Waugh.
:)

howardj

International Coach
I'd go for Crowe. Although he's my one of my all-time faves, Junior Waugh struck me as a somewhat selfish cricketer. Selfish in the sense that he was really in a comfort zone - only really got enough runs to make sure his place in the team was secure. Of course there was the odd exception - Port Elizabeth 1997 and West Indies 1995 - but, in the main, he was in a real comfort zone.

archie mac

International Coach
howardj said:
I'd go for Crowe. Although he's my one of my all-time faves, Junior Waugh struck me as a somewhat selfish cricketer. Selfish in the sense that he was really in a comfort zone - only really got enough runs to make sure his place in the team was secure. Of course there was the odd exception - Port Elizabeth 1997 and West Indies 1995 - but, in the main, he was in a real comfort zone.
I recall Terry Jenner organising some young talented bowlers to bowl in the nets to the Australian team (at the time) The boys said they disliked bowling to Mark Waugh because they thought he was not trying. (though they could not dismiss him) I think that was just the way he came across. A bit like David Gower.

tooextracool

International Coach
mark waugh was far too inconsistent to be considered even close to crowes class.
he was indeed quite talent just a pity that more often than not he wasted it completely.

archie mac

International Coach
tooextracool said:
mark waugh was far too inconsistent to be considered even close to crowes class.
he was indeed quite talent just a pity that more often than not he wasted it completely.
On occasions maybe, but he still scored 7000 beautiful runs and took some great catches, plus a few important wickets.

tooextracool

International Coach
archie mac said:
On occasions maybe, but he still scored 7000 beautiful runs and took some great catches, plus a few important wickets.
yes but an average of 40 isnt something to be proud off for someone of his talent. if you ask me, he was good enough to average more than his brother.

C_C

International Captain
tooextracool said:
yes but an average of 40 isnt something to be proud off for someone of his talent. if you ask me, he was good enough to average more than his brother.
Well he obviously was not as much of a genius as his brother was.
As Einstien said, genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

The common mindset is to look at 'talent' as clean hitting or bowling fast with some movement or excellent timing/strokeplay but those are just physical talents...the talent to concentrate, to select the proper shots at the blink of an eye, the ability to be dilligent is just as important, if not more, than the physical talents.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
Well he obviously was not as much of a genius as his brother was.
As Einstien said, genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.
That would be Thomas Alva Edison.

Go on. Ask me another....

C_C

International Captain
Really ?
I always thought it was Einstien.
:wacko:
thanks for the correction.

Allrighto, yer ON mate !

who said this : " The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong. "

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
C_C said:
Really ?
I always thought it was Einstien.
:wacko:
thanks for the correction.

Allrighto, yer ON mate !

who said this : " The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong. "
Gandhi

C_C

International Captain
Dayum.
yer good....is famous quotes one of your pet hobbies or are you really THAT old?
:p :p :D :D 8-)

archie mac

International Coach
tooextracool said:
Yes I agree, he said early in his Test career that he wanted to finish with an Ave: of 50+

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
archie mac said:
I was not trying to disparage Crowe, with my comment, but pointing out that his Test average would have been even better. I just prefered to watch Mark Waugh.
:)
He did have a shocking start to his career as a 19 year old exposed to Lillee and Thomson in 1982

Lyell_Chris

U19 12th Man
surely Waugh makes up for his average being lower than it should be with his catching and bowling

He was also more versatile as he could bat in the middle order or open. When he opened he play 2 roles too he was the aggressive opener at first then the support guy when Gilly came along.