• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Bangladesh ever be good?

archie mac

International Coach
marc71178 said:
It includes a fairly long period - especially looking at the Australia series - they were expected to be absolutely creamed, but battled on far better than most expected (and gained a lot of experience from that series and from being able to share the field with a top class side)
Yes they did play well in that series, but I thought they let them selves down badly against England.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dasa said:
Richard, you can't measure the improvement in Bangladesh using stats - although I know how you love them. Anyone who actually WATCHES cricket can see that they are a rapidly improving side and I wouldn't be surprised if they do improve greatly in the next decade - perhaps winning a series against the established Test nations or going a fair way in the WC.
You can't use stats exclusively, but of course you can use them - average runs per wicket, average wicket runs, etc.
If these are getting better, a side is obviously playing better.
But anyone can see that Bangladesh are no better now than they were 5 years ago - nor 20, for that matter.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
You can't use stats exclusively, but of course you can use them - average runs per wicket, average wicket runs, etc.
If these are getting better, a side is obviously playing better.
But anyone can see that Bangladesh are no better now than they were 5 years ago - nor 20, for that matter.
actually there was a piece on Cricinfo a couple of months ago just on this subject..statistacs show that in pretty much every category B'desh have improved 25% over the last 4 years or something

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
They'd been taking fairly big steps forward until the most recent series.
Because they did so well in their previous 2 series (at home to India and New Zealand) didn't they...?
Their most recent 7 games against Test-class teams...
Lost by an innings and 27
Lost by an innings and 261
Lost by an innings and 83
Lost by an innings and 140
Lost by an innings and 101
Lost by an innings and 99
Lost by an innings and 99
Pretty conclusive from where I'm standing... no improvement there.

C_C

International Captain
Pretty conclusive from where I'm standing... no improvement there.
you are standing at the wrong spot as usual.
Like swervmeister said, crickinfo did an article on how bangladesh are improving, based on statistics.
And there are alot more statistics than just the scoreline.

You can score 20 & 110 and lose by an innings and 200 runs or you can score 220 & 180 and lose by an innings and 200 runs. Scoreline is the same but the latter case shows a remarkable batting improvement.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Indeed... their batting has improved from truly woeful to merely very poor.
still an improvement though..at the current rate, B'desh will be very competitive within 5-10 years

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Maybe... and during that time they'd do best not play Tests and devalue the things... if they absolutely must play international sides (and I'd say they'd get better quicker if they didn't) the games shouldn't be afforded Test-match status.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Maybe... and during that time they'd do best not play Tests and devalue the things... if they absolutely must play international sides (and I'd say they'd get better quicker if they didn't) the games shouldn't be afforded Test-match status.
so when should they be afforded test match status then???

C_C

International Captain
You cannot improve unless you play against the best of the best.
Almost every nation was pretty frickin poor when they first started playing test cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You do not improve as quickly by playing way above your level as you do by playing slightly above your level.
Bangladesh would be best served playing domestic sides around The World from where I'm standing.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
You do not improve as quickly by playing way above your level as you do by playing slightly above your level.
Bangladesh would be best served playing domestic sides around The World from where I'm standing.
and then how do you know when they are ready to compete with the best if they are constantly playing vs poor teams

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
Whenever they start competing with international sides.
And not before.
but no international team will ever risk big name players vs B'desh unless its in a test match situation

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
archie mac said:
Yes they did play well in that series, but I thought they let them selves down badly against England.
I think the early season in England was a new experience for them to be fair - they adapted to a degree by the end of the series.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
Yet again ignoring what the Bangldeshis themselves said about wehen they learned the most.

But what would they know? 8-)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
and then how do you know when they are ready to compete with the best if they are constantly playing vs poor teams
Except they're not playing poor teams, they're playing the 2nd-best teams at the level 2nd from the top.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
but no international team will ever risk big name players vs B'desh unless its in a test match situation
Matches against them are equally irrelevant whether they're Tests or not.
Sometimes matches that aren't Tests are treated with importance - warm-up games, for instance.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Yet again ignoring what the Bangldeshis themselves said about wehen they learned the most.

But what would they know? 8-)
And of course the Bangladeshis know what they'd learn from playing domestic sides, because they've done so much of it...
And of course we should take them seriously with the "we're learning" because they're so likely to say anything else...

Langeveldt

Soutie
marc71178 said:
At the total detriment to the integrity of the world game (bar Bangladeshi cricket of course)