• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

worst players on the international circuit?

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Tresco and Vaughan are obviously a joke, but I don't think there are many poorer bowlers than Giles who are regularly selected for their international sides. Obviously Boje, various Windies spinners etc are worse, but how regularly are they picked?

I guess it depends on how you define the question.
giles may not be one of the best bowlers around, but to call him the worst when he has a better record in india than both warne and murali albeit in only 2 tests is quite ludicrous IMO.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
tooextracool said:
giles may not be one of the best bowlers around, but to call him the worst when he has a better record in india than both warne and murali albeit in only 2 tests is quite ludicrous IMO.
Exactly.

tooextracool said:
Clarke has a better record than Giles in India, therefore he is a better bowler.

tooextracool

International Coach
there are a fair few rubbish bowlers around IMO- zaheer khan, ashish nehra, mohammad sami(probably the best of the lot though), dilhara fernando,maharoof, wiseman,kyle mills, ifthikar rao, zondeki. however i think hauritz is easily the worst bowler i've seen this decade.
as far as the batting is concerned, theres dhoni whos really atrocious IMO and half the england ODI side,

tooextracool

International Coach
Shane Warne said:
Clarke has a better record than Giles in India, therefore he is a better bowler.
thanks to 1 inning on a crumbling pitch on which even hauritz managed to get a decent average.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Barney Rubble said:
I don't care that most of Australia thinks he's a laughing stock.

QUOTE]

I think you'll find that Giles is disappointed in the criticism he's receiving from his countrymen not Australians.

Anyway, whilst he is in a paper's employ and therefore beholden to their requirements, it's difficult to imagine many others allowing such a piece to be published under their name.

Can you imagine Warne or McGrath taking such a stance?

They'd be more likely to acknowledge the criticism, cop it on the chin, say they're working hard, and profess confidence in their ability to hit back.

Having a whine about the treatment you're receiving in the press will do little other than encourage increased focus upon your performances.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
tooextracool said:
thanks to 1 inning on a crumbling pitch on which even hauritz managed to get a decent average.
Having spent months defending the Mumbai wicket, you surely can't now be doing a back-flip and discounting performances in that match.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
social said:
Having a whine about the treatment you're receiving in the press will do little other than encourage increased focus upon your performances.
Giles better be gunning for a 10fer in the next test then. Judging by the early reports on the Edgbaston wicket, he might be left out!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Barney Rubble said:
Was that a typo? Did you mean to say actions and not words? 'Cos there's not much that can do the talking other than actions and words, if you catch my drift. :D

No that wasn't a typo... Pietersen talks and talks and talks and then scores loads of runs.. As opposed to people who talk and do nothing much whom I can't stand in any field of life..

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
Samuel_Vimes said:
Worst batsman:....possibly Lou Vincent.
If you scored 224 in your last test innings it certaintly lowers your standards, i agree.

James90 said:
Worst Batsman: James Marshall
How is James Marshall the worst batsman in international cricket? He's only played a handful of tests.

James Marshall's test stats:
3 matches, 5 innings. 151 runs at 30.19 with a fifty.

Your right, he is simply awful.

Please explain your reasoning rather than just saying a random name.

Last edited:

Shoaib

Banned
I think the worst batsman on the international circuit is currently Mohammad Hafeez and worst bowler is Irfan Pathan.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
AndrewM said:
How is James Marshall the worst batsman in international cricket? He's only played a handful of tests.
Maybe thats because the selectors also realised that he is the worst in the world

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
AndrewM said:
If you scored 224 in your last test innings it certaintly lowers your standards, i agree.
And despite that - against a Murali-less Sri Lanka - his Test average is a shade above 30. Even Rob Key has a double ton...doesn't make him Test class... :dry: