• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worlds Scariest Batsmen

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
in a survey conducted by the wisden cricketer magazine in which they drew up a list for the batsman that bowlers from around the international circuit find the most scary and intimidating to bowl at. Some intresting and some not so suprising results.

1.Gilchrist
2.Lara
3.Afridi
4.Sehwag
5.Flintoff
6.Tendulkar
7.Cairns
8.Hayden
9.Razzaq
10.Ponting
11.Gayle
12.Symonds
13.Kemp

intresting to see that there was no mention of pietersen (although must bear in mind that this was published before his innings against the australians the other day), but personally i would have put him above kemp. Might have replaced razzaq with someone like astle or jayasuriya or inzamam as well to be honest.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The list seems to consist solely of big-hitting destructive type batters, regardless of their overall records.

I'd say if I was a bowler (well, you know, a decent one!) I'd be pretty scared facing a Kallis or a Dravid, especially in the test arena.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
yeh must say i would be inclined to agree with you, or even someone like langer or graham smith on a reasonable pitch tbh.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
The list seems to consist solely of big-hitting destructive type batters, regardless of their overall records.

I'd say if I was a bowler (well, you know, a decent one!) I'd be pretty scared facing a Kallis or a Dravid, especially in the test arena.
i think when bowlers used the term ``SCARY``, they are refering mainly to the boundary hitting ability of the batsman thats why blokes like Gilchrist & Afridi would be right up their, but when it comes to bowling to the likes of Dravid & Kallis they would would know they would have to bowl pretty well to get them out but i doubt whether they would be scared of bowling to them.

Scallywag

Banned
aussie said:
i think when bowlers used the term ``SCARY``, they are refering mainly to the boundary hitting ability of the batsman thats why blokes like Gilchrist & Afridi would be right up their, but when it comes to bowling to the likes of Dravid & Kallis they would would know they would have to bowl pretty well to get them out but i doubt whether they would be scared of bowling to them.
I agree, players like Dravid will wait for the bowler to make a mistake and then pounce on the loose ball. Gilly and Afridi on the other hand pounce on the bowler on the first or second ball regardless of how good it is.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Surely Brian Lara is more intimidating than Dravid, Kallis, Gilchrist and Afridi to a bowler though. Not only will he hit the good and bad balls for four, but he will also score big hundreds and is less inclined to throw his wicket away than the likes of an Afridi. This is not saying Lara is a better batsman (than Dravid) per se, as everyone should know how I feel about Dravid.

simmy

International Regular
Pietersen has to be there... in a new list anyway...

Gillespie has hit some form.. but the again one of the Aussies has to do something!

Mr Mxyzptlk

He's faced South Africa and Australia though. The Australians faced him in one 50-over game. The poll was taken of more than just South African and Australian bowlers.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Surely Brian Lara is more intimidating than Dravid, Kallis, Gilchrist and Afridi to a bowler though. Not only will he hit the good and bad balls for four, but he will also score big hundreds and is less inclined to throw his wicket away than the likes of an Afridi. This is not saying Lara is a better batsman (than Dravid) per se, as everyone should know how I feel about Dravid.
I doubt it, actually. At least in terms of being the bowler as the bloke walks to the crease. With an Afridi, a bowler is going to get an immediate sinking feeling that he is about to get blasted. With Lara, however, bowlers know that he is one of the world's worst starters of an innings, and that they have 15, maybe 20 minutes in which they have a geniuine chance to get him out - and people like Flintoff and Harmison just lick their lips in anticipation. Of course, if they fail in their immediate quest, they are indeed likely to suffer great damage, but them's the breaks.

But the talk of Dravid and Kallis reminds me of what my friend Peter Judge told me about bowling to Bradman and Compton. Denis could take you apart like nobody else could, but at least you felt you had a chance of getting him out, whereas with Bradman you knew you hadn't a hope in hell of getting him out (unless you were Larwood or O'Reilly or someone like that, and Peter was only a decent county pro), but at least he treated you with some respect.

Cheers,

Mike

Mr Mxyzptlk

badgerhair said:
I doubt it, actually. At least in terms of being the bowler as the bloke walks to the crease. With an Afridi, a bowler is going to get an immediate sinking feeling that he is about to get blasted. With Lara, however, bowlers know that he is one of the world's worst starters of an innings, and that they have 15, maybe 20 minutes in which they have a geniuine chance to get him out - and people like Flintoff and Harmison just lick their lips in anticipation. Of course, if they fail in their immediate quest, they are indeed likely to suffer great damage, but them's the breaks.
Bowlers run in to bowl to Afridi and expect that they can be belted, but there's also the expectation of a cheap wicket, not necessarily with a good ball. The way Lara bats, especially this year, you expect that you can be smashed effortlessly away and that you have a long task ahead to take his wicket. It's a combination of expensive bowling and lack of penetration that attacks the bowler's mind.

cricket player

International Debutant
LongHopCassidy said:
then he must suck. :p
I think he was the guy who made 270 when India toured Australia last time around.
And this time around I think another not so good team "suck" Bangladesh beats Australia,