• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clarke's hattrick

Donny

Cricket Spectator
What a way for Pup to start his first Ashes tour. :D

First, Paul Collingwood for 38, KP for 6 and Graeme Swann for a first ball stumping!

This tour will test out this young tyro. He's had his honeymoon and come back to earth. It's now time to see what he's made of.

Brad Hodge loves English wickets and is there if the Pup fails.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
He's certainly developing something of a golden arm. Hopefully he can develop further into a Darren Lehmann/Sanath Jayasuria sort of bowler.

King_Ponting

International Regular
Certainly shoots down all those people who believe clarke cant bowl. Dont no many non bowlers that have taken a first class hat trick......

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
King_Ponting said:
Certainly shoots down all those people who believe clarke cant bowl. Dont no many non bowlers that have taken a first class hat trick......
Not many bowlers have had guys trying to smack them out of the ground for each ball of a potential hat-trick either.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I have to say, hand-on-heart, I've never seen him turn his arm over. I know opinion on here varies as to his potential as a bowler, but I think it certainly never hurts any player to have another string to their bow.

Slightly surprised to see him get thru his full complement of overs yest without Symonds bowling at all. I guess that may be an indication that esteem for his bowling is growing amongst the Oz camp.

OT, but v good figures from Tremlett too. 1 for 17 off 4 is exceptional for 20/20.

King_Ponting

International Regular
Scaly piscine said:
Not many bowlers have had guys trying to smack them out of the ground for each ball of a potential hat-trick either.
Not clarke's fault the batsman was a d*ckhead....... Should have given him the respect he deserves.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Clarke isn't much of a bowler. He used to be complete rubbish when he started out in international cricket, but he had a decent little go in Sri Lanka in the ODIs, and his action changed a bit prior to the Indian tour and it was obvious he had taken some pointers either from Lehmann or through coaching in the same method as Lehmann. His 6/9 was pretty good bowling on a menacing pitch. When he bowls around the wicket he's fairly accurate, and on that pitch it you put it in the right area and get decent revolutions on it, it was very easy to get wickets. It wasn't a complete fluke, but it wasn't a masterful spell either.

Again in New Zealand, he showed that he's got a bit of a golden arm. He'll never be an all-rounder, but with a bit of luck he could become a handy part-timer in tests like a Border or Lehmann, and a regular 5-10 over bowler in ODIs.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
FaaipDeOiad said:
Clarke isn't much of a bowler. He used to be complete rubbish when he started out in international cricket, but he had a decent little go in Sri Lanka in the ODIs, and his action changed a bit prior to the Indian tour and it was obvious he had taken some pointers either from Lehmann or through coaching in the same method as Lehmann. His 6/9 was pretty good bowling on a menacing pitch. When he bowls around the wicket he's fairly accurate, and on that pitch it you put it in the right area and get decent revolutions on it, it was very easy to get wickets. It wasn't a complete fluke, but it wasn't a masterful spell either.

Again in New Zealand, he showed that he's got a bit of a golden arm. He'll never be an all-rounder, but with a bit of luck he could become a handy part-timer in tests like a Border or Lehmann, and a regular 5-10 over bowler in ODIs.
Better or worse than Katich? One of them will be your no 2 spinner for The Ashes.

Unless, of course, MacGill & Warne are played together. I think that's unlikely except perhaps at The Oval or Old Trafford if the pitch looks like it'll take a bit of turn, but even then having Martyn as your no 3 seamer is a brave shout!!

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
BoyBrumby said:
Better or worse than Katich? One of them will be your no 2 spinner for The Ashes.

Unless, of course, MacGill & Warne are played together. I think that's unlikely except perhaps at The Oval or Old Trafford if the pitch looks like it'll take a bit of turn, but even then having Martyn as your no 3 seamer is a brave shout!!
I haven't seen Katich bowl all that much recently. Ponting seems extremely reluctant to use him. Last time I saw him bowl was in the 03/04 summer, and he was quite effective. Katich certainly turns the ball more, but Clarke is more accurate. As a partnership breaker in tests it's hard to say, but Clarke would certainly be better in ODIs.

Dydl

International Debutant
Sorry, I've been busy working, but Clarke got a hat-trick?? It's seriously annoying having to work and missing out on everything. :@ :ph34r:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Dydl said:
Sorry, I've been busy working, but Clarke got a hat-trick?? It's seriously annoying having to work and missing out on everything. :@ :ph34r:
It wasn't on TV or anything, but yeah. In a 20/20 match against an Invitational XI. The first tour match for the Australians in England.

Dydl

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
It wasn't on TV or anything, but yeah. In a 20/20 match against an Invitational XI. The first tour match for the Australians in England.

Thanks! :D

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
King_Ponting said:
Well, Marcus Trescothick for one, in a first class game rather than a Twenty20 knockabout to boot.

Which kind of messes your bonfire up somewhat.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
King_Ponting said:
It was a meaningless Twenty20 game for crying out loud!

I'd be very shocked if he gets even 3 or 4 wickets in the Tests (if he's even actually called upon to bowl)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
King_Ponting said:
i have just gained respect for trescothic and lost respect for the english county system
Which also messes your theory as it was in, you've guessed it, a meaningless tour match,

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Neil Pickup said:
Well, Marcus Trescothick for one, in a first class game rather than a Twenty20 knockabout to boot.
My God! Who against?!?! I can't think of too many county teams with a pronounced weakness against floaty, medium pace wides! :D

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
Dydl said:
Well a summary of the game is on the frontpage of CW now if you missed it. :)

Last edited: