• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Mickey Arthur?

shaka

International Regular
i think i may have seen him open a while back for griquas against WP, when i was living in SA. not a bad player, although i dont think he should be the coach, but we'll see how he goes.

Craig

World Traveller
What was his success rate for Eastlands?

Never heard of him before, but then I'm not a big follower of SA domestic cricket.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I guess everyone outside of Australia (and a lot of people in Australia) would have been saying the same thing about John Buchanan. Hopefully he's a good influence on the group. Seems like me must have a way about him.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
vic_orthdox said:
I guess everyone outside of Australia (and a lot of people in Australia) would have been saying the same thing about John Buchanan. Hopefully he's a good influence on the group. Seems like me must have a way about him.
Yeah good point. You don't always require to be a successful cricketer or big name to be a successful coach. Let's hope he does good things for SA cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Eric Simons was a fantastic player (I'd never heard of him before his appointment either).
Glad to hear they've had the sense to use RJ only in a short-term role (maybe use him again in a few years' time), and well... good luck to Mr. Arthur.
Very few good coaches used to be good players.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Pratyush said:
He cant do worse than Jennings in all probability
Hence SA's tragic 14 match winning streak?

I've heard of Mickey Arthur, but probably don't know enough to reliably tell you about him here... A bit of a dark horse tbh..

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Langeveldt said:
Hence SA's tragic 14 match winning streak?

I've heard of Mickey Arthur, but probably don't know enough to reliably tell you about him here... A bit of a dark horse tbh..
South Africa havent done too well in the past 6 months. The clean sweep in the Windies is great and the side may look to turn it around but its been a poor recent history as far as South African cricket goes.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Pratyush said:
South Africa havent done too well in the past 6 months. The clean sweep in the Windies is great and the side may look to turn it around but its been a poor recent history as far as South African cricket goes.
Well if England seriously are touted as "Ashes contenders" (Although I find that totally absurd), we shouldn't be too upset with a 2-1 loss to them in the tests? If they are that good?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Langeveldt said:
Well if England seriously are touted as "Ashes contenders" (Although I find that totally absurd), we shouldn't be too upset with a 2-1 loss to them in the tests? If they are that good?
As far as I remember (could be wrong) Jennings was the coach in India too. Maybe not in Sri Lanka but you may be satisfied with Jenning's performance. I am not and thought the team could have played better over all.

England deserved to win the series and I am not discrediting them but South Africa should have fought better. Smith's captaincy has a lot of blame to take for the field placings for one but the coach must take part of the blame too.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jono said:
Yeah good point. You don't always require to be a successful cricketer or big name to be a successful coach. Let's hope he does good things for SA cricket.
My point was that even as a coach, he's not well known.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
John Buchanan's most recent credentials when taking the Australian job were to fail as Middlesex coach.
Sometimes a good coach can appear, to the unwary eye, out of nowhere.
I mean, who can honestly say they knew who Duncan Fletcher was, apart from the guy who'd coached Glamorgan.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
As far as I remember (could be wrong) Jennings was the coach in India too. Maybe not in Sri Lanka but you may be satisfied with Jenning's performance. I am not and thought the team could have played better over all.

England deserved to win the series and I am not discrediting them but South Africa should have fought better. Smith's captaincy has a lot of blame to take for the field placings for one but the coach must take part of the blame too.
I don't really think Jennings can take too much of the blame - the problems were Smith's lack of form, the fact that Nel was injured for 4\5ths of the series, the fact that Steyn was selected (not much to do with Jennings AFAIK) ahead of 6 or 7 better-qualified candidates, the fact that the only Test Boje didn't play in was the only Test he'd have been any use in, and the fact that Rudolph was forever preferred to De Bruyn.
Plus the fact that Tsolekile started the series.

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
I don't really think Jennings can take too much of the blame - the problems were Smith's lack of form, the fact that Nel was injured for 4\5ths of the series, the fact that Steyn was selected (not much to do with Jennings AFAIK) ahead of 6 or 7 better-qualified candidates, the fact that the only Test Boje didn't play in was the only Test he'd have been any use in, and the fact that Rudolph was forever preferred to De Bruyn.
Plus the fact that Tsolekile started the series.

oh and that England on the whole are a more talented, more rounded team as well

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Pratyush said:
Jennings lost the series in India, which is not exactly either a surprise or a discredit, and presided over a Test-series defeat at home, which is.
Other than that he's lost 1 ODI out of 12 (including a meaningless reduced-overs game) and won a Test-series away, something SA haven't done against a Test-class side since 2001\02.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Swervy said:
oh and that England on the whole are a more talented, more rounded team as well
More "rounded"? Whatever that means.
More talented? Certainly not.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
in the last 6 months i dont think Jennings had done too bad a job, certainly enough there i would have thought to keep him on abit longer