• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pick your 30!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'm sure that someone will beat me to answering this, but this is the squad to play Australia in the super series later in the year. The squad of 30 is soon to be announced, and we're trying to pre-empt the squad.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England: Trescothick, Strauss, Vaughan, Harmisson, Hoggard
South Africa: de Vililers, Smith, Gibbs
West Indies: Gayle, Lara, Chanderpaul, Sarwan
India: Tendulkar, Sehwag, Pathan, Kumble, Singh,
Pakistan: Afridi, Ul-Haq, Youhana, Kaneria, Razzaq
New Zealand: Fleming, McCullum, Astle, Vettori
Zimbabwe: Streak
Sri Lanka: Attapatu, Jayasuria, Jayawardne, Muralitharan

Mister Wright

a massive zebra said:
What??? Why is no one picking any Australians?? :wacko:

They are easily the best team and Langer, Ponting, Martyn, Gilchrist, McGrath, Warne & Gillespie are all surely among the top 30 cricketers in the world? :huh:
Like Vic_O said this is a World squad to take on Australia in the Supertest and the Super ODI series.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
vic_orthdox said:
I'm sure that someone will beat me to answering this, but this is the squad to play Australia in the super series later in the year. The squad of 30 is soon to be announced, and we're trying to pre-empt the squad.
Indeed.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Mister Wright said:
I'm sure you're expecting this but, No Flintoff?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mister Wright said:
No Dravid or Kallis either!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Or Pollock, or Ntini. But these are more likely to be deliberate omissions, and possibly could well be supported by evidence.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Varinder Sehwag
Andrew Strauss
Graeme Smith
Chris Gayle
Marcus Trescothick

Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Rahul Dravid
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Sanath Jayasuria
Inzamam-Ul-Haq
Hamish Marshall

Andrew Flintoff
Jaques Kallis
Chris Cairns
Shahid Afridi

Kumar Sangakkara
Tatenda Taibu

Shaun Pollock
Makhaya Ntini
Chaminda Vaas
Steve Harmison
Matthew Hoggard
Pedro Collins
Shoaib Akhtar

Anil Kumble
Muttiah Muralitharan
Daniel Vettori
Harbhajan Singh
Danish Kaneria

This breaks down as:
India (5)
Varinder Sehwag
Sachin Tendulkar
Rahul Dravid
Anil Kumble
Harbhajan Singh

England (5)
Andrew Strauss
Marcus Trescothick
Andrew Flintoff
Steve Harmison
Matthew Hoggard

South Africa (4)
Graeme Smith
Jaques Kallis
Shaun Pollock
Makhaya Ntini

West Indies (4)
Chris Gayle
Brian Lara
Shivnarine Chanderpaul
Pedro Collins

Sri Lanka (4)
Sanath Jayasuria
Kumar Sangakkara
Chaminda Vaas
Muttiah Muralitharan

Pakistan (4)
Inzamam-Ul-Haq
Shahid Afridi
Shoaib Akhtar
Danish Kaneria

New Zealand (3)
Hamish Marshall
Chris Cairns
Daniel Vettori

Zimbabwe (1)
Tatenda Taibu

Watch also for a token Bangladesh inclusion (Rafique for Kaneria, maybe), or even possibly a rebel Zimbabwean like Andy Flower, or perhaps an ex-rebel like Heath Streak.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
Okay I dont know if you usually select Tendulkar in your Asia XI squads even. So why have you chosen him in the 30. The selectors will chose him even though you dont think he is out of it and shouldnt be picked?
If you notice, the initial question was who do you think will be picked?

However a first choice Asian XI would see him as about the last pick for a batsman IMO.

Mister Wright

BoyBrumby said:
No Dravid or Kallis either!
Argh. It's hard to remember everyone. This is the reason they have more than one person on any (sain) selection panel. You probably get the first guy (like me) selecting his team, then the 2nd guy goes, "You dork, you forgot about, person a & b", then you get the 3rd selector going, "You're both major dorks, you also forgot person c, d & e". Than the first guy goes, "yeah, dah...silly me!", and the second guy goes "yeah, can't believe I forgot those guys."

Mister Wright

Mister Wright said:
England: Strauss, Vaughan, Flintoff, Harmisson, Hoggard
South Africa: Smith, Kallis, Pollock, Nitini
India: Tendulkar, Sehwag, Dravid, Pathan, Kumble, Singh,
New Zealand: Fleming, McCullum, Vettori
Sri Lanka: Attapatu, Jayasuria, Muralitharan
Revised squad

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
marc71178 said:
If you notice, the initial question was who do you think will be picked?

However a first choice Asian XI would see him as about the last pick for a batsman IMO.
I noticed that and yes, I wanted to know where you stand on him being selected for the Asian XI

Cheers

tooextracool

International Coach
heres my list of players who i think will be selected:

india: dravid, tendulkar, sehwag, kumble(4)
england: trescothick, vaughan, harmison,flintoff, strauss(5)
WI : lara, sarwan, gayle, chanderpaul(4)
pak: inzamam, akhtar, youhana,afridi, kaneria(5)
NZ : fleming, vettori(2)
SL: sangakkara, jayawardhene, jayasuriya, muralitharan, vaas(5)
SA: kallis, smith, boucher, pollock, ntini(5)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Well, for a start they named 30 for each, but some of the selections and non-selections are nothing short of a farce

In both squads: Pathan, Naved ul Hasan, Harbhajan.

Not in at all: Cairns, Oram, Fleming.

Apparently, players were selected on the following criteria:

- players' overall career records in both Test and ODI cricket
- their form in both Test and ODI cricket over the past 12 months
- their overall playing records against Australia and their performances against the world champion team in Australia
- players' positions in the LG ICC Rankings for both Test and ODI cricket
- the distinctive characteristics of the venues in Melbourne and Sydney which will host the games

Can anyone tell me how Pathan qualified on ANY of those?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
It looks like they were picked on potential just like KP, it seems that there is another criteria, well that how i see it. But if that the case then why wasn't Hamish Marshall picked, very surprised by his non slection as well as Carins. You would think that the 2nd/3rd best ODI side would have more One Day players atleast. Looks light on bowling in both forms IMO.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
"Players like Kevin Pietersen, Brendon McCullum, Andre Nel, Naved ul Hasan, Shahid Afridi and Irfan Pathan have forced their way into the squads on the strength of outstanding performances over recent months."
I won't deny Pathan is a very talented player, but recent months?! :wacko: He's been in terrible form recently.

Also same for McCullum although to a lesser extent. I definitely think he should be in the 30, but if you ignore his 99 his performances in recent months have been average to be fair.

Steulen

International Regular
Selecting Pietersen but not de Villiers or Marshall reeks...make that stinks...of an unhealthy amount of commercial interest in squad selection.

On the Pathan issue, it was said (by Atherton I think) that the biggest problem was finding suitable fast-bowling options. Apparently they got more than a little desperate :)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I don't mind Pathan slection too much but Naved Ul-Hasan in the Test Squad, now that is a shockers, the guy struggles to get a regular spot in the Pakistan Test side let alone a Rest of the World Team. I can understand why he would get selected in the ODI Squad but in the Test Squad. Surely Matthew Hoggard and Malinga are better Test Bowler.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Steulen said:
Selecting Pietersen but not de Villiers or Marshall reeks...make that stinks...of an unhealthy amount of commercial interest in squad selection.

On the Pathan issue, it was said (by Atherton I think) that the biggest problem was finding suitable fast-bowling options. Apparently they got more than a little desperate :)
I can think of three guys better then Pathan and Rana as test bowlers ATM, Hoggard, Malinga and Streak